The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Only Positive Thoughts Here

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
Now that we are at the pointy end of the development process and handover of vehicles to customers is imminent, I though it might be an idea to start a wholly positive thread for people to post only what they think is good and right about the Grenadier. This will also go some way to balancing the number of negative-ish threads that have been popping up around windscreen wipers, RHD footwell, number of screws in the dashboard, colour of the roof lining, lack of onboard beer dispenser etc etc. Bearing in mind that all these threads (this one included) are still only theoretical until real world experience takes over and we all actually know how good the vehicle is day to day. Until we are all crushed by harsh reality, this is a place for only butterflies and Unicorns.

I'll go first...

When I first saw the Grenadier I was immediately smitten. Being a previous Land Rover Defender owner, and current W463 G-Wagen owner, the Grenadier looked straight away like an answer to prayer. The new Defender was a complete letdown and it left the Toyota 70-series Landcruiser as the only financially sensible option for a body-on-frame 4x4 (let's all just agree a Jeep is never an option). The more I learnt about the development the more I liked. Magna Steyr's involvement in the design only further increased my excitement. Ineos were saying all the right things about form following function, fit-for-purpose, sensible design goals and so on.

Exterior:
Over the past two years, I have arrived at the opinion that the Grenadier's exterior proportions are damn near perfect. I can no longer look at an original Defender the same way as that familiar shape now looks awkward - too tall and skinny. And the G-Wagen now also appears somehow proportionally wrong beside the Gren. It's funny how prolonged exposure to the Grenadier design has not caused me to find anything wrong with it, but has actually made me find more things I like about it.

Interior:
My only concern when the Grenadier was first announced was that for all the great design philosophy and exterior good looks, the interior might be like a Soviet era mental hospital. However, when the first interior images were released I admit to letting out a girlish squeal of delight. There was a realistic level of comfort being offered with nice finishes, decent infotainment and COOL BUTTONS ON THE ROOF! Nothing overly flashy or too many electronic gizmos, just solid surfaces and buttons and a logical, simple 21st century digital dashboard. But everything still looks somehow premium. Nice.

Pricing:
After my hopes and dreams had been elevated to stratospheric levels by the design detail, I was brutally aware that this could all come crashing down when pricing was announced. It wasn't. When a thoroughly reasonable RRP was announced for what was essentially a G-Wagen lite, my overwhelming reaction was SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! Subsequent cost comparisons with a similarly specced 70 series Landcruiser proved to me what good value the Grenadier was shaping up to be. And even if a 70 series might be bought for slightly less (and it can't), let's face it, the 70 series is a total dial-tone of a vehicle and now unobtainable, so a moot point. And to repeat my earlier assertion - a Jeep is never an option.

Test drive:
I've done two off-road test drives to date and I have to say, any of the things that I might have thought would suck just don't. The suspension is waaaay more compliant off road than I ever would have guessed. Seats are just plain perfect. Driving position and visibility is equally superb. Given my benchmarks were the old Defender and G-Wagen, visibility was a big potential deal breaker for me and the Grenadier just gives you such a great view out the front, there is hardly any need for fancy-pants trail cameras so many other 4x4s now have. Cabin sealing is spot on and consequently engine noise is virtually non-existent with all the windows up. And I'm sure I look far sexier in the Grenadier than humanly possible.

So that's my first pass at what makes the Grenadier just about goddamn perfect - at least in theory for the moment.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score
Brilliant thread. There is so much right about this vehicle, everything I have always wanted defenders to be, and as for your experience, a significant number of things that thoroughly exceeded expectations.

the engine, bigger, so lazier and sweeter than strictly needed, along with a bombproof auto, rather than the manual I would have assumed was necessary.
the ride quality…. I expected capable, Im blown away by the poise.
seats…. So many ‘soft’ and plush seats are nothing special. Ive been in these for over an hour, and just began to realise how good they are.

I share your enthusiasm for the looks and proportions. Id have liked another 20cm internal length, but this mix of clearance angles and space is a great overall compromise.

the control of noise and vibration, without having the ‘spaceship effect’ of moderm luxury cars that disconnects you from the environment (and makes me sleepy too)

the dedication, it seems, to proper long term ownership, and low cost of maintenance. This is also quite eco-friendly, the embedded emissions are a big deal; 20 years of use carefully hopefully is not going to make me feel to irresponsible or selfish. Especially if, as I think, bio-diesel becomes the carbon neutral option for true off road.

I could go on, but looking forward to seeing what other positive thoughts members have…

congrats again on making a space for smiling

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
I agree with everything stated already about the design and details. What really put the cherry on top was the power train.

I’ve owned BMW 5 series for nearly twenty years and my experience of the straight six diesel is without incident doing about 30,000 miles a year. Today I drive a 530d xdrive and it’s got the same engine as the Grenadier and it’s awesome. Powerful, frugal and sounds great under acceleration or tick over. I’ve driven the Grenadier twice and it just made me smile that the familiar gear selector, that some folk say is out of place, is there. In my opinion it’s a great interface.

I’m hoping to get my keys this month and want to hear that driving noise. The one that’s a combination of wind, road, engine and that delightful drive line whine that is only just perceptible.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with everything stated already about the design and details. What really put the cherry on top was the power train.

I’ve owned BMW 5 series for nearly twenty years and my experience of the straight six diesel is without incident doing about 30,000 miles a year. Today I drive a 530d xdrive and it’s got the same engine as the Grenadier and it’s awesome. Powerful, frugal and sounds great under acceleration or tick over. I’ve driven the Grenadier twice and it just made me smile that the familiar gear selector, that some folk say is out of place, is there. In my opinion it’s a great interface.

I’m hoping to get my keys this month and want to hear that driving noise. The one that’s a combination of wind, road, engine and that delightful drive line whine that is only just perceptible.
My wife always complains if she hears the sound of wind when we are in the car

MarkusN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
For some time now, I have been toying with the idea of buying a Defender and taking it on short trips. What kept me from doing so, however,
was the fact that many Defender owners have told me that this vehicle requires a lot of maintenance. As I am not a mechanic, I have always put off my plans.

At some point, probably in 2018, I heard about the Grenadier project and have been following it ever since. With each step of the development, my enthusiasm grew.
For each part that was added, I made considerations and searched for possible further information. The choice of all the components and the corresponding manufacturers made perfect sense to me.
Convinced that the Grenadier would be exactly what I had in mind, I moved on to the next thought - how much will the Grenadier cost? Will it be as expensive as the G-Class?
In 2020, when I was at the first INEOS showings, I heard the statement: The price is probably between "G" and "G" (Golf and G-Class). That was already a guideline that kept me dreaming.
I made the reservation in September 2021, ordered it in May 2022 and finally got the contract to sign last week.

Why did I order the Grenadier?
... because I like it very much!
... because it meets my expectations!
... because I feel comfortable in it!
... because I am convinced of its qualities!
... because I find the whole project, initiated and financed by Sir Jim, extremely cool!

... and now the most important point:
"The Grenadier will give me a lot of fun"!

Now I can't wait to get the key, get in and just enjoy it.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The best thing is that we all have way more time with our anticipation which will not be affected by the trite reality.
So a big Thank You to Ineos for decelerate the handovers.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
  • I love the solid clunk sound of the doors closing
  • I love the 70:30 split cargo doors - perfect for dogs
  • Great front visibility
  • The supplier list is full of quality names
  • Built like a tank!

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
I haven't seen a Grenadier yet, but what videos I've seen and articles I've read leave me wanting to drive it more and more. Even my wife is excited about it.

For information on finding unicorns, go to 4:44 in the below video: :LOL:

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
Believe me , there is a lot of coupling going on in the butterfly world at the moment.
Watch Clarkson's Farm if you wish to learn more about the birds and bees (and beaurocracy) 😜
I've just started watching last weekend. I'm on S1 E4 currently. So far, so good. Having not visited England, I must say it's beautiful in the countryside. Someday.... Maybe they'll have Grenadiers for hire when I'm ready to visit!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've just started watching last weekend. I'm on S1 E4 currently. So far, so good. Having not visited England, I must say it's beautiful in the countryside. Someday.... Maybe they'll have Grenadiers for hire when I'm ready to visit!
My wife and I binge watched all of season 2 last weekend

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:32 AM
Reaction score
I haven't seen a Grenadier yet, but what videos I've seen and articles I've read leave me wanting to drive it more and more. Even my wife is excited about it.

For information on finding unicorns, go to 4:44 in the below video: :LOL:

All time classic video!

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like the IDEA - since I heared it the first time. A man, a vision, a decision - and the balls to realize it.
I like the DESIGN - since I saw it first - because I like the old Defender 110. I like less electronic.
I like the ENGINE - the power - and I accept the automatic transmission (sure, sometimes I will enjoy it).
I like the POSSIBILITY - I had enough time to sell different things, so now I´ve got the money to buy one.
I like that I will see the Ineos on the STREET - many other good ideas didn´t find ever on the road.
Okay, I don´t really like to wait - I feel like I was a child - sometimes CHRISTMAS seemed so far away!

Make my dream come true - and SEE YOU ON THE ROAD, and see you off the road!

Back
Top Bottom