The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Only Positive Thoughts Here

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
What I like about the Grenadier:

The vision of the vehicle - a back to basic rugged rival to the older defender.
Sir Jim Ratcliffe - had the balls to make it happen.
Looks - the vehicle looks great!
Build - ladder frame, solid axles, and the whole vehicle set up in such a way to be customized to fit so many individual needs or tastes.
Engine - BMW six cylinder seems to be a solid reliable preforming engine (pretty much same power and torque as my 2000 Land Cruiser).
Transmission - hard to find complaints with this, and while I would have loved a stick they seem to be almost a unicorn nowadays.
Dimensions - almost the same size as my 2013 Land Cruiser which is not too big or too small. Heck, I can get my wife's required gear to fit and still have a bit of space for my stuff.
Wheels - steel ones that look good and rugged and practical.
Control Switches and Dash Layout - pretty solid looking, practical and easy to use.
Seats - Recaro. Dang nice.

Really, to me, there is not much to dislike about the Grenadier.

What a great thread name and one surely needed here in the forum to counter all the whining, and in truth the nitpicking too, that has gone on. It was getting to the point that I was expecting the forum to have a drop down menu for Cheese so we could order some for the whiners....

pete54

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
This forum is absolutely fantastic - so much information from a lot of very knowledgeable people. It feels like many owners are really getting to grips with this vehicle and doing more to inform the rest of us where perhaps Ineos are still leaving customers in the dark a bit too much.

That being said, as is natural, it’s easier (and more helpful) to talk about problems (even if hopefully these are a minority function!) than positives so just thought another bump to this thread would help others in my position (contract signed 2 months ago, no further word but hopefully not too much longer now!) to keep the excitement levels topped up.

If current owners could hit us with some more unadulterated positivity (if justified) it would be appreciated (at least by me!).

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This forum is absolutely fantastic - so much information from a lot of very knowledgeable people. It feels like many owners are really getting to grips with this vehicle and doing more to inform the rest of us where perhaps Ineos are still leaving customers in the dark a bit too much.

That being said, as is natural, it’s easier (and more helpful) to talk about problems (even if hopefully these are a minority function!) than positives so just thought another bump to this thread would help others in my position (contract signed 2 months ago, no further word but hopefully not too much longer now!) to keep the excitement levels topped up.

If current owners could hit us with some more unadulterated positivity (if justified) it would be appreciated (at least by me!).
Rest assured Pete. If the old Defender or G-Wagon were your thing, you are going to love the Grenadier. For me, it has been a joy so far.

pete54

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Rest assured Pete. If the old Defender or G-Wagon were your thing, you are going to love the Grenadier. For me, it has been a joy so far.
Thanks @Cheshire cat . That’s what I’m talking about! I have a long list of things I need to do as soon as I get it but keep crossing things off and adding them in again depending on what I read on here. Pretty sure I can live without doing anything much to it at all but loving the dreams (and less so the occasional nightmares!) bought on by everyone’s experience so far. Especially our Australian friends who are next level (in this only! Not cricket or rugby).

Reactions: Max

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @Cheshire cat . That’s what I’m talking about! I have a long list of things I need to do as soon as I get it but keep crossing things off and adding them in again depending on what I read on here. Pretty sure I can live without doing anything much to it at all but loving the dreams (and less so the occasional nightmares!) bought on by everyone’s experience so far. Especially our Australian friends who are next level (in this only! Not cricket or rugby).
which part of Scotland you based? I work out of Aberdeen and Peterhead.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I’ve had mine since April.. it’s a great vehicle in spite of a few software issues. You get get used to its ways pretty quickly and is our favourite vehicle because of it.. The Grenadier grin wasn’t on the options list and comes free of charge..

if you’re lucky, you’ll get yours with all the bits and bobs some of us have waited for and it’ll have the latest software..

pete54

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
which part of Scotland you based? I work out of Aberdeen and Peterhead.
Edinburgh - was up in The granite city for university a while back. Even ventured to Peterhead. Love it up there!

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score

I would like to know what you have ordered...here is my Scottish White diesel sitting on the edge of Australia at a place called Rainbow Beach, Fraser Coast Queensland...I have a fascination for the old Defenders and still have a series II which I will have to photograph with my new girl...on this day on the beach, I Christened her my Sand Rover...the Grenadier is a remarkable vehicle with a few quirky twists...the steering which is now no issue...it looks a big vehicle but it manoeuvers quite well...I sit quite high to see both front corners which is useful in moving it around...the diesel in capital letters is STRONG...the gearbox is STRONG...I think that word sums up my Grenadier...happy motoring to come Pete54...I was born in 54...and live in number 54...what's your 54 if you can tell the world?

Attachments

• IMG_6506.jpg
    IMG_6506.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 61

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score

I tend to buy second hand cars.

The Gren is only my 4th ever new car and it is the best by far.
It is a big car but doesn't drive big.
It's roomy and high but does not drive wide.
It is powerful in an unstated way.
The design is old school with a modern twist - sort of the middle finger to stupid modern cars that frankly all look the same.
The interior finish is generally high quality with great design.
Seats are more comfortable than my wife's new MB EQA 250
Saddle leather steering wheel is a must.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I tend to buy second hand cars.

The Gren is only my 4th ever new car and it is the best by far.
It is a big car but doesn't drive big.
It's roomy and high but does not drive wide.
It is powerful in an unstated way.
The design is old school with a modern twist - sort of the middle finger to stupid modern cars that frankly all look the same.
The interior finish is generally high quality with great design.
Seats are more comfortable than my wife's new MB EQA 250
Saddle leather steering wheel is a must.
I measured the difference between our 3008 Peugeot and it is surprising how close the footprint is overall just about the same body area plan view except the spare sticks out that much more...wheel track is 100mm wider and half a wheel longer which is expected but you are right about it not driving wide and saddle leather and the seats are much better than the 3008...happy motoring all round ;)

pete54

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would like to know what you have ordered...here is my Scottish White diesel sitting on the edge of Australia at a place called Rainbow Beach, Fraser Coast Queensland...I have a fascination for the old Defenders and still have a series II which I will have to photograph with my new girl...on this day on the beach, I Christened her my Sand Rover...the Grenadier is a remarkable vehicle with a few quirky twists...the steering which is now no issue...it looks a big vehicle but it manoeuvers quite well...I sit quite high to see both front corners which is useful in moving it around...the diesel in capital letters is STRONG...the gearbox is STRONG...I think that word sums up my Grenadier...happy motoring to come Pete54...I was born in 54...and live in number 54...what's your 54 if you can tell the world?
Hi Max - 5 seat commercial, with pretty much everything ticked except safari windows (because full roof rack). Diesel. Always had a Land Rover and dealt with the pain (although current D4 is fantastic - but becoming fantastically expensive to maintain!). Had a Series III in Australia in the late 90’s driving many of the tracks that according to the YouTube are now only accessible to maxed out Toyotas with all the bells and whistles (climate change??)

Can’t wait to get back to a proper 4x4 that simply makes you smile! And hopefully doesn’t limp home if you look at it sideways by mistake!

MarkusN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:29 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks

I’m a happy Grenadier owner for two months (now, I have 8000 km on the odometer).
Last week we returned from a 16 day vacation trip from Wales & England. We have now done quite a bit of different driving. Highways, country roads, cities (even bigger ones), dirt roads, forest roads,
Green Lanes in Wales, dirt and mud, gravel roads, sloping roads (up to about 30°), steep roads on gravel up and down etc. etc. etc.

My "smile" on my face is still there and getting wider and wider !

Of course, the Grenadier needs some getting used to. But if someone likes to drive a "real" vehicle, they will make friends with the Grenadier very quickly. Admittedly, it is a massive weight to move.
However, when you examine the construction, you immediately realize that it can't be done any other way.
The steering is special by design, but got used to it very quickly (not even 50k miles) and now I've grown to love it. It gives precise feedback and is very sensitive. I get to drive a car properly again.
The relatively large turning circle you also get under control if you think a little ahead (city experience e.g. from Cardiff and Birmingham).

I find the seating position and the seats simply brilliant. Longer distances are no trouble at all but a pleasure (also for the passenger). The overview of the vehicle and the support in the seats when driving off-road are excellent.

The drivetrain with the BMW power unit (I drive the diesel) over the transmission, to the wheels are extremely well tuned, very elastic, precise and when you need it is very powerful. Very big class!

The software does not allow any praise at this point. It is way too slow, does “funny" things like the one with the fuel gauge etc. An absolute disaster is the DAB+/radio system. Poor to no reception at all,
changing stations on its own, problems saving stations, etc. These bugs have been known at INEOS for a long time and I really hope that the IT guys (or of course the IT gals)
will finally write a software worthy of the Grenadier.

This month the long promised update is supposed to come. I am curious!

Conclusion:
I waited 14 months after ordering until I was finally allowed to drive my "Greny". I had doubts and was unsure. To order such an expensive "toy" without ever having driven it, let alone seen it in final production,
was a bit crazy (I had to work and save a long time for it). Now I have my assurance that I did everything right by putting my trust in the whole project "Grenadier" by Sir Jim Ratcliffe.

I am very happy with my "Greny" and am extremely looking forward to every meter I am allowed to drive with it.

Sunny greetings from Switzerland
Markus

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi folks

I’m a happy Grenadier owner for two months (now, I have 8000 km on the odometer).
Last week we returned from a 16 day vacation trip from Wales & England. We have now done quite a bit of different driving. Highways, country roads, cities (even bigger ones), dirt roads, forest roads,
Green Lanes in Wales, dirt and mud, gravel roads, sloping roads (up to about 30°), steep roads on gravel up and down etc. etc. etc.

My "smile" on my face is still there and getting wider and wider !

Of course, the Grenadier needs some getting used to. But if someone likes to drive a "real" vehicle, they will make friends with the Grenadier very quickly. Admittedly, it is a massive weight to move.
However, when you examine the construction, you immediately realize that it can't be done any other way.
The steering is special by design, but got used to it very quickly (not even 50k miles) and now I've grown to love it. It gives precise feedback and is very sensitive. I get to drive a car properly again.
The relatively large turning circle you also get under control if you think a little ahead (city experience e.g. from Cardiff and Birmingham).

I find the seating position and the seats simply brilliant. Longer distances are no trouble at all but a pleasure (also for the passenger). The overview of the vehicle and the support in the seats when driving off-road are excellent.

The drivetrain with the BMW power unit (I drive the diesel) over the transmission, to the wheels are extremely well tuned, very elastic, precise and when you need it is very powerful. Very big class!

The software does not allow any praise at this point. It is way too slow, does “funny" things like the one with the fuel gauge etc. An absolute disaster is the DAB+/radio system. Poor to no reception at all,
changing stations on its own, problems saving stations, etc. These bugs have been known at INEOS for a long time and I really hope that the IT guys (or of course the IT gals)
will finally write a software worthy of the Grenadier.

This month the long promised update is supposed to come. I am curious!

Conclusion:
I waited 14 months after ordering until I was finally allowed to drive my "Greny". I had doubts and was unsure. To order such an expensive "toy" without ever having driven it, let alone seen it in final production,
was a bit crazy (I had to work and save a long time for it). Now I have my assurance that I did everything right by putting my trust in the whole project "Grenadier" by Sir Jim Ratcliffe.

I am very happy with my "Greny" and am extremely looking forward to every meter I am allowed to drive with it.

Sunny greetings from Switzerland
Markus
This is a superb overview Markus and it mirrors so many of my feelings.
Diesel Fieldmaster still only 2000 miles since May 10th, and looking forward to my trip next week to Cornwall.
There's the Grenadier grin of course , but also the way it finds your soul .... special!

Back
Top Bottom