The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On the Grenadier Fence in Brisbane

Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
So I have a Defender TD5 that I've owned since new. It's been a great car. Mostly been used for remote touring with multiple desert crossings. I really can't speak strongly about how well it's treated us. I can honestly say it's going as well now or better than it has ever which is pretty impressive. It's incredibly capable. Can carry a huge amount of stuff. Doesn't use much fuel.

The thing is the family is getting bigger. The last 8000k family holiday involved four people over 180cm, and one shorty at 175. The defender is the ferrari of the desert but the days of driving to the start and end of these trips is killing me.

Plus - it's a bit of a beast to drive around town and no one other than myself will drive it. :eek:

I'd kind of given up the idea of replacing it because there just isn't anything else like it. The new defender turn out to be a discovery with defender written on it, so I'm down to the toyota 78 which has lots of things I'm less than impressed with.

I've been watching the grenadier with interest. And now there is a local dealer 2k from my house. :D Anyway I've had one look at a prototype. I'm going to have a better look while the car is still here and keen to test drive in Feb when they have their cars off the line. I'm hopeful that it's going to be a nicer car on the road than the defender but with the off road ability too. Would be great if it was not unpleasant for the occasional town duties.

I've been scarred by buying prototype cars in the past. I'm nervous about reliability of early models, and the long term support of ineos.

I joined this forum to watch the reports of owners as the cars make it into their hands. Here's hoping it's a gem.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
Mate you are not going to know the answer to a lot of your concerns for years to come.
Jump in one and drive it, and the rest of your fears will be allayed instantly.

There are far too many other big issues to worry about in life other than cars - so jump in - the waters fine.😆
Great to have you onboard.

Last edited:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:53 AM
Reaction score
So I have a Defender TD5 that I've owned since new. It's been a great car. Mostly been used for remote touring with multiple desert crossings. I really can't speak strongly about how well it's treated us. I can honestly say it's going as well now or better than it has ever which is pretty impressive. It's incredibly capable. Can carry a huge amount of stuff. Doesn't use much fuel.

The thing is the family is getting bigger. The last 8000k family holiday involved four people over 180cm, and one shorty at 175. The defender is the ferrari of the desert but the days of driving to the start and end of these trips is killing me.

Plus - it's a bit of a beast to drive around town and no one other than myself will drive it. :eek:

I'd kind of given up the idea of replacing it because there just isn't anything else like it. The new defender turn out to be a discovery with defender written on it, so I'm down to the toyota 78 which has lots of things I'm less than impressed with.

I've been watching the grenadier with interest. And now there is a local dealer 2k from my house. :D Anyway I've had one look at a prototype. I'm going to have a better look while the car is still here and keen to test drive in Feb when they have their cars off the line. I'm hopeful that it's going to be a nicer car on the road than the defender but with the off road ability too. Would be great if it was not unpleasant for the occasional town duties.

I've been scarred by buying prototype cars in the past. I'm nervous about reliability of early models, and the long term support of ineos.

I joined this forum to watch the reports of owners as the cars make it into their hands. Here's hoping it's a gem.
Welcome...I don't believe you will be disappointed but room might be an issue...but that might not be a problem if your travels change...most of the car is proven by not just the Ks they have done but where the engineering and parts are from...In my mind, I have no issues with taking on a new model as I drove the first of the MQ Patrols around OZ in 81...It was the first MQ to be serviced in the Perth dealership from the East Coast...It had issues that were righted...I feel more comfortable about the Grenadier...the Quality of the Ineos company and the company it keeps has swayed me over the last 6 years...as far as city driving, the auto behind the diesel is wonderful and off-road exceptional...
the proof is in the pudding of course and I can not wait to drive a production Grenadier like so many here...happy motoring

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:53 PM
Reaction score
I know a vehicle is more than just a sum of its parts, but the parts that have gone into the Grenadier are pretty good.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What you are doing is probably the smart thing to do, but hey you only live once. Who knows how reliable and long lasting they will be, but if you were going to take a risk, this is the one to do it with. Engineering by Magna Steyr who did the G Wagen, proven BMW straight 6, Brembo brakes, Recaro seats etc. and having a solid network of agents across the country even before launch. Nothings guaranteed in this world, but this one at least has the right ingredients.

Local time
Reaction score
What you are doing is probably the smart thing to do, but hey you only live once. Who knows how reliable and long lasting they will be, but if you were going to take a risk, this is the one to do it with. Engineering by Magna Steyr who did the G Wagen, proven BMW straight 6, Brembo brakes, Recaro seats etc. and having a solid network of agents across the country even before launch. Nothings guaranteed in this world, but this one at least has the right ingredients.
Yes.. there is a chance it will be a "unicorn car". IE totally out of the blue and very good. Here's hoping.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So many of us here want to replace our old 4WD‘s with something that has the same capabilities, but with what? Then along comes the vehicle of our dreams, the Grenadier. A new vehicle that is strong where it needs to be, and minimalist where it can be.
My current drive, a 22 year old V8 Disco 2, is underpowered and slurps petrol like it is 50c a litre. It requires more care than a dysfunctional other half, but off road is an absolute mountain goat.
The IG will be 100hp more powerful than the D2, use about 30% less fuel, be nicer to drive, and, with the lockers, be equal or better off road. There is nothing else on the market that will do that for under 200k.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So many of us here want to replace our old 4WD‘s with something that has the same capabilities, but with what? Then along comes the vehicle of our dreams, the Grenadier. A new vehicle that is strong where it needs to be, and minimalist where it can be.
My current drive, a 22 year old V8 Disco 2, is underpowered and slurps petrol like it is 50c a litre. It requires more care than a dysfunctional other half, but off road is an absolute mountain goat.
The IG will be 100hp more powerful than the D2, use about 30% less fuel, be nicer to drive, and, with the lockers, be equal or better off road. There is nothing else on the market that will do that for under 200k.
Pithy summation DD - couldn't put it better myself

Grecko - just drive it next month and I bet you will be smiling so broadly onlookers will be thinking you just had your teeth whitened.

But, you will be cursing that you waited a month to pay the deposit and slip further down the conga line of folks waiting to receive one.

Local time
Reaction score
You know.. a friend asked me what I thought if it.. and I said it reminded me of a D2. The way the body drops over the chassis.. A more comfortable defender but still with live axles, coils, and a real chassis.. Which is not a bad thing.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm working on the principle that IA will do their level best to make sure us early adopters are ecstatically happy with our purchases so we effectively evangelise for the product. This goes some way to mitigating the risk of jumping into not only a new model vehicle, but a new vehicle manufacturer.

But as I said on Facebook, if you fancy changing to something more proven drop me a line if you want a good used G-Wagen to replace Wofie.

Local time
Reaction score
I'm working on the principle that IA will do their level best to make sure us early adopters are ecstatically happy with our purchases so we effectively evangelise for the product. This goes some way to mitigating the risk of jumping into not only a new model vehicle, but a new vehicle manufacturer.

But as I said on Facebook, if you fancy changing to something more proven drop me a line if you want a good used G-Wagen to replace Wofie.
Thanks.. that's an interesting idea. Will contemplate.

I do keep my cars for a long time as you know, so I should really try not to rush it. After I have a drive I'll think about it - but I think my ideal delivery would be early next year. I just won't have time to set up a new car with the trips I have planned this year. Realistically - that's probably the probably pretty much the expected delivery time anyway. They will have had a year of building them to learn how to bolt them together by then.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I am replacing my good used old G-Wagen with a better new Grenadier

Local time
Reaction score
Pithy summation DD - couldn't put it better myself

Grecko - just drive it next month and I bet you will be smiling so broadly onlookers will be thinking you just had your teeth whitened.

But, you will be cursing that you waited a month to pay the deposit and slip further down the conga line of folks waiting to receive one.
I just hope the wait times don't slip too much after my drive. There won't be a dry eye in the house when the defender leaves, but at the same time I've been putting up with all the stupid rubbish that comes from driving a car designed in the late 40's in the 2000's.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just hope the wait times don't slip too much after my drive. There won't be a dry eye in the house when the defender leaves, but at the same time I've been putting up with all the stupid rubbish that comes from driving a car designed in the late 40's in the 2000's.
I doubt you will see one before September October if you haven't already ordered.
Maybe later
Particularly once US orders start going

Local time
8:23 PM
Reaction score
And a hydro formed chassis.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would order and and pay the 2500 refundable deposit today, drive it next month decide whether going for it or not when they eventually send you a contract.

good luck, enjoy your travels in the td5 meantime

Back
Top Bottom