The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On the Grenadier Fence in Brisbane

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:00 PM
Reaction score
Like I said before, get the diesel and run it on chip oil.
No government would ever restrict access to fish & chips

Edit. My tdi 300 runs 20% LPG 80% diesel

Spoke to my agent on Wednesday whilst looking at the prototype and he is also a Hyundai dealer who is going to have Hydrogen electric vehicles in a few months but he said that we will be converting to hydrogen to power our diesel engines in the future...now he probably knows better than me but I am not holding my breath but why would Sir Jim produce a car that is going to last and last...having a look at the link is quite interesting...happy motoring
100% agreed. I mean who knows.

I don't want to open a can of worms, but what if fuel is limited by some environmental mechanism by then?

Let's be honest.. what if I kick the bucket before then. :oops:

Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
I thought one of the benefits of hydro forming was that it is cheaper to do than traditional tools/dies?
5 times the price to hydro form, unless it is a very limited run below 2000 or there about. massive advantages in strength and durability by hydro forming, consistent bends, uniform thickness better plasticity less work hardening etc.

Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
Great to read about your thinking, which I suspect is very similar to that of a lot of people on here - myself included.

We've had some great adventures, but we've outgrown our 110 ... and I don't mind admitting to wanting a bit of comfort and refinement these days. Although it's possible to, I no longer have the energy for driving an antiquated truck around the urban jungle, nor the patience to keep fixing it. Someone else will though, good luck to em.

I sold the 110 yesterday.

I felt the right time to do this was now, before the IG starts showing itself on the roads, and I suspect that a significant minority of IG owners will have ditched their 90's/110's to do so... and this will start reflecting itself in prices.

All things must pass. Looking forward to the Grenadier!
Good on you for getting on with it. I wondered the same.. whether there would be a reduction in second hand values of defenders once the car gets out there.

I've got a couple of trips planned this year and I'm not sure I could manage setting up a new car I'm afraid.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Thanks.

IMO (original) Defender values will soon drop. Even the newest examples are now 7 years old and starting to become less palatable for the urban set. Shiny examples sit forlornly in showrooms with twinkling paint and six-figure price tags (or ‘not for sale’). For those wanting a workhorse, the IG is a much more attractive option.

An anecdote:

I live in Perth, WA which is a small village in Tatooine, which is nowhere. I assume I’m not alone in being cold-called by the local Ineos agent to check order details. Ineos maintain the fantasy that my build date is still April. Sweet.

I asked how many orders were in front of me in the queue, expecting an answer of around 10-15. The answer was 120.

120!!

I predict a lot of old defenders are about to hit the market.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
Thanks.

IMO (original) Defender values will soon drop. Even the newest examples are now 7 years old and starting to become less palatable for the urban set. Shiny examples sit forlornly in showrooms with twinkling paint and six-figure price tags (or ‘not for sale’). For those wanting a workhorse, the IG is a much more attractive option.

An anecdote:

I live in Perth, WA which is a small village in Tatooine, which is nowhere. I assume I’m not alone in being cold-called by the local Ineos agent to check order details. Ineos maintain the fantasy that my build date is still April. Sweet.

I asked how many orders were in front of me in the queue, expecting an answer of around 10-15. The answer was 120.

120!!

Wow that’s really a lot. Here in Germany the Defender is probably not that often in its natural habitat as it is in Australia. So many people buy it just to feed more earthy and natural. It’s a status sign which is to find more frequently in the richest areas of the country. In Hamburg Harvestehude and München (Munic) Herzogpark they will probably stay as they aren’t used that much (as they are third or fourth cars)
But many people who own a Defender for its abilities will think about the change if they can afford it.

By the way a car dealer near my office trys to sell a well equipped TD4.
It’s a bargain. Just 74500 €.
Who would be so dull and buy a new shiny and capable Grenadier instead…

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:00 AM
Reaction score
In Australia , well equipped used Defenders (the boxy ones) are way overpriced, like G wagens.
Despite what some people say , the Ineos is a bargain, IMO.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For Aussie buyers, a bit of an update on timing.
Was talking to an Ineos agent today, and he’s been told demonstrators should arrive late March and the first client vehicles in April.
So anyone wanting a demo drive before their vehicle arrives is going to find it tight.
No vehicles have been shipped yet because their waiting on a software update.
And he’s actually happy about that, because in the past with other European marques he has been involved with they have shipped defective vehicles to the dealers and issued firm instructions not to deliver them because they need additional work.
I’m actually also glad Ineos have taken this view. They know they can’t afford to get this wrong as at this point they don’t have a reputation to rely on.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Was talking to an Ineos agent today, and he’s been told demonstrators should arrive late March and the first client vehicles in April.
That's what the Tas guy said also

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
Not shooting the messenger 👍 but is that just his demonstrators and his first clients?

It differs from the "getting on a boat this week" thread.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
Not shooting the messenger 👍 but is that just his demonstrators and his first clients?

It differs from the "getting on a boat this week" thread.
I assume - no.
Assuming sailing time - 60 Days somewhat plus allow handling time - so I assume mid March the vehicles will arrive in Australia. - To me it fits in the schedule. Demonstrators and customer vehicles. This means Demo Vehicles ready end of march, customer vehicles somewhat April.

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:00 PM
Reaction score
Thanks.

An anecdote:

120!!

Certainly! But the old Defender (Tdi and TD5) is not comparable to the Grenadier - except for the shape. For the hard work Defender will always keep its buyers. It is simple in design, can be repaired anywhere, and spare parts are cheap. The Grenadier is in a whole different league. Hats off to those who will torment it just as they did their old Defender. Therefore it will always keep a high value on the used car market. Because the English have rarely designed anything better than this workhorse.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So anyone wanting a demo drive before their vehicle arrives is going to find it tight.
No vehicles have been shipped yet because their waiting on a software update.
And he’s actually happy about that, because in the past with other European marques he has been involved with they have shipped defective vehicles to the dealers and issued firm instructions not to deliver them because they need additional work.
I’m actually also glad Ineos have taken this view. They know they can’t afford to get this wrong as at this point they don’t have a reputation to rely on.
Yes, they had an update meeting with Ineos yesterday I believe

Back
Top Bottom