The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On the Grenadier Fence in Brisbane

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
Everywhere you look at it all I see is no expense spared.

Compared to the Defender by contrast....
I believe INEOS had to over engineer the Grenadier - being the first car they have made it can not afford to fail from an engineering perspective

tartan shepherd

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
As with most things in life very little is perfect. I've paid my deposit and sat in a static display model. However before I sign a contract I will need to drive one.

Observations:
Well built, with reputable heavy duty components.
Quality feel to doors and switch gear.
Looks to be, as envisaged an updated, better quality, utility vehicle for working person wanting a little more comfort.
Good base for overlander conversion.
Honest, built to purpose vehicle

Niggles and minor areas of disappointment.
The front bumper depth is ridiculous (yes I know probably for type approval to accommodate winch/roo bars)
The lack of ability to stretch out left leg (in RHD version) is a design flaw.
The rear load area is too high.
The rear door arrangement whilst novel, will IMO become a pain. Just wait until your large door closes onto the face of your small door.

Just hoping I get a full demo with on road driving before the contact lands.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
As with most things in life very little is perfect. I've paid my deposit and sat in a static display model. However before I sign a contract I will need to drive one.

Observations:
Well built, with reputable heavy duty components.
Quality feel to doors and switch gear.
Looks to be, as envisaged an updated, better quality, utility vehicle for working person wanting a little more comfort.
Good base for overlander conversion.
Honest, built to purpose vehicle
Agree,
Niggles and minor areas of disappointment.
The front bumper depth is ridiculous (yes I know probably for type approval to accommodate winch/roo bars)
Hm.. was of no issue.. on the opposite.. I d like a bit more front bumper..
The lack of ability to stretch out left leg (in RHD version) is a design flaw.
Yes this was discussed.
The rear load area is too high.
What do you expect? High Ground Clearance but Low load area? - That is something what you have to live with.
The rear door arrangement whilst novel, will IMO become a pain. Just wait until your large door closes onto the face of your small door.
I was considering this topic with split door. - 1st left then right. However there are many vehicles out with split rear doors.. I do not think this will become an issue..

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was considering this topic with split door. - 1st left then right. However there are many vehicles out with split rear doors.. I do not think this will become an issue..
yep, I think if no locking brace on the right hand door then a strop fixed somewhere on the door with a utility belt end might work. the angle may be too acute but I'll work something out. I'm always stopped at dodgy angles of lean so will need something.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:40 PM
Reaction score
I just hope the wait times don't slip too much after my drive. There won't be a dry eye in the house when the defender leaves, but at the same time I've been putting up with all the stupid rubbish that comes from driving a car designed in the late 40's in the 2000's.
Great to read about your thinking, which I suspect is very similar to that of a lot of people on here - myself included.

We've had some great adventures, but we've outgrown our 110 ... and I don't mind admitting to wanting a bit of comfort and refinement these days. Although it's possible to, I no longer have the energy for driving an antiquated truck around the urban jungle, nor the patience to keep fixing it. Someone else will though, good luck to em.

I sold the 110 yesterday.

I felt the right time to do this was now, before the IG starts showing itself on the roads, and I suspect that a significant minority of IG owners will have ditched their 90's/110's to do so... and this will start reflecting itself in prices.

All things must pass. Looking forward to the Grenadier!

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Everywhere you look at it all I see is no expense spared.

Compared to the Defender by contrast....
This begs the question (and I saw this asked in another thread), what might happen to IA down the track once everything is up and running with vehicles on the road and the company is cashflow positive? Sir Jim has his new car and let's say he decides to focus on another hobby project (maybe a spaceship - billionaires all want a spaceship nowadays) and IA gets sold to another manufacturer (BMW?). Then down the track Grenadier production becomes a bean counting exercise for the new owner and a predictable pattern of cost driven compromises ensues. Will we all be sitting on our porches reminiscing about the amazing quality of early series models back in the good old days when Ineos first built the Grenadier?

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
So I have a Defender TD5 that I've owned since new. It's been a great car. Mostly been used for remote touring with multiple desert crossings. I really can't speak strongly about how well it's treated us. I can honestly say it's going as well now or better than it has ever which is pretty impressive. It's incredibly capable. Can carry a huge amount of stuff. Doesn't use much fuel.

The thing is the family is getting bigger. The last 8000k family holiday involved four people over 180cm, and one shorty at 175. The defender is the ferrari of the desert but the days of driving to the start and end of these trips is killing me.

Plus - it's a bit of a beast to drive around town and no one other than myself will drive it. :eek:

I'd kind of given up the idea of replacing it because there just isn't anything else like it. The new defender turn out to be a discovery with defender written on it, so I'm down to the toyota 78 which has lots of things I'm less than impressed with.

I've been watching the grenadier with interest. And now there is a local dealer 2k from my house. :D Anyway I've had one look at a prototype. I'm going to have a better look while the car is still here and keen to test drive in Feb when they have their cars off the line. I'm hopeful that it's going to be a nicer car on the road than the defender but with the off road ability too. Would be great if it was not unpleasant for the occasional town duties.

I've been scarred by buying prototype cars in the past. I'm nervous about reliability of early models, and the long term support of ineos.

I joined this forum to watch the reports of owners as the cars make it into their hands. Here's hoping it's a gem.
Hey there. I’m in the same boat. Tall family and no one willing travel in the Defender 😢

Don’t like anything else on the market so the IG is a godsend.

I’m 60 this year and keen to do some long trips in comfort so don’t want to waste any more time sussing out if IG is the one.

Unfortunately I was out of the country when the test drives happened in Perth. But my surrogate driver reckons it’s a winner and is buying one too.

Good luck with your decision. 👍🏻

Local time
Reaction score
yep, I think if no locking brace on the right hand door then a strop fixed somewhere on the door with a utility belt end might work. the angle may be too acute but I'll work something out. I'm always stopped at dodgy angles of lean so will need something.
On the prototype that was the first thing I tried was closing the wrong door first. The big door hits on the ladder on the door. Probably won't do much other than scratch it. Could be messy if no ladder.

Local time
Reaction score
This begs the question (and I saw this asked in another thread), what might happen to IA down the track once everything is up and running with vehicles on the road and the company is cashflow positive? Sir Jim has his new car and let's say he decides to focus on another hobby project (maybe a spaceship - billionaires all want a spaceship nowadays) and IA gets sold to another manufacturer (BMW?). Then down the track Grenadier production becomes a bean counting exercise for the new owner and a predictable pattern of cost driven compromises ensues. Will we all be sitting on our porches reminiscing about the amazing quality of early series models back in the good old days when Ineos first built the Grenadier?
Look.. I've been a captive to the defender for all these years because I didn't feel I had any real alternative.. until now. I guess I'd be back in the same boat. Realistically if I can get 20 years out of the grenadier.. it's pretty murky that far into the future. I have to be able to do the Madigan on the 100th anniversary so that will be 2039. :eek:

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
On the prototype that was the first thing I tried was closing the wrong door first. The big door hits on the ladder on the door. Probably won't do much other than scratch it. Could be messy if no ladder.
Could revert to carrying a stick or occupy strap to prop it open🤣🤣

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
"automatically locks the spring at its maximum extension and releases it with a single movement. This safety device prevents hatches from closing unintentionally in case of rolling or pitching. AISI316 stainless steel body."
EN_38.040.xx_dis.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes those too.

I was responding to the "no expense spared" comment.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Look.. I've been a captive to the defender for all these years because I didn't feel I had any real alternative.. until now. I guess I'd be back in the same boat. Realistically if I can get 20 years out of the grenadier.. it's pretty murky that far into the future. I have to be able to do the Madigan on the 100th anniversary so that will be 2039. :eek:
Realistically if I can get 20 years out of the grenadier.. it's pretty murky that far into the future. I have to be able to do the Madigan on the 100th anniversary so that will be 2039. :eek:

Let’s hope they keep access open then. Lots of other tracks are being closed or permits harder to get.

Local time
Reaction score
Realistically if I can get 20 years out of the grenadier.. it's pretty murky that far into the future. I have to be able to do the Madigan on the 100th anniversary so that will be 2039. :eek:

Let’s hope they keep access open then. Lots of other tracks are being closed or permits harder to get.
100% agreed. I mean who knows.

I don't want to open a can of worms, but what if fuel is limited by some environmental mechanism by then?

Let's be honest.. what if I kick the bucket before then. :oops:

Local time
Reaction score

I mean the other thing is.. my defender is 18 years old now. Is it realistic to expect it will be reliable and capable of this kind of work when it's 25 .. or even 30.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
100% agreed. I mean who knows.

I don't want to open a can of worms, but what if fuel is limited by some environmental mechanism by then?

Let's be honest.. what if I kick the bucket before then. :oops:
Like I said before, get the diesel and run it on chip oil.
No government would ever restrict access to fish & chips

Back
Top Bottom