The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Oil check

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
do you know if the front axle works on homokinetic [land type] or on u-joint [jeep type]? are these in oil bath or are they greasy?
Universal joint. The knuckles are open style like Dana not closed like LR. I looked at two vehicles. They were prototypes but had Carraro assemblies.

Local time
8:14 PM
Reaction score
Universal joint. The knuckles are open style like Dana not closed like LR. I looked at two vehicles. They were prototypes but had Carraro assemblies.
Greasable? Are the other suspension components greasable or closed?

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
I didn't see any zerks on the joints between inner and outer shafts but this was on stationary vehicles. I wasn't able to turn the wheels to full lock to make certain. The knuckle and inner "C" are sort of webbed or gusseted compared to Dana style which may add protection but made inspection difficult.

I don't remember any zerk fittings elsewhere for control arm joints at frame or axle. I didn't have long to look. I'd be surprised if the steering ball joints didn't have them - I think they did. The knuckles appeared to be a king pin style with bearing caps rather than ball joints. I don't remember seeing greasing points for them. Maybe someone will post pictures to clarify.

I asked if the front wheel bearings were serviceable with spindles and inner and outer bearings and races. I was told they were pressed in. This was a relayed answer so there may have been some misunderstanding of my question but that made me think unit bearings. Perhaps the answer concerned diff bearings which makes more sense. It was hard to see any spindle bolts or the like with other components in the way and low light. Obviously there are no locking hubs with the full time system.

The rear wheel wheel bearing setup wasn't explained. Looks to be a semi floating design. No one present had info at the time as to whether C clips or pressed on bearings with retainers are used. Would prefer c clip for easier field service.

The driveshaft CVs were unfamiliar to me but are supposedly a Dana component. I don't know how they are serviced. I've only ever had u joints.

Hope someone else has the answers.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:14 AM
Reaction score
@Logsplitter Were you planning to re-gas the a/c yourself? Is it a straightforward process?
Not not at all. I I have no problem with my A/C. I was just responding to the thread by going onto Halfords site and checking whether the gas in question was suitable for the Grenadier.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:14 AM
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is it simply a question of changing the gas or are there other changes that would be required, eg seal materials?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score
What motivated IA to use two different refrigerants? 134 is a more efficient setup but why complicate matters by using two systems?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe using what you describe as the more efficient one wherever it can, and then the less efficient one wherever it has to?

If so, then it seems those of us in N1s in UK benefit again.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So according to that link:

”R1234yf compares in efficiency to R134a and has the same cooling capacity.”

”Vehicles using R1234yf are expected to use less fuel and produce 20-30% less CO2 which means a significantly reduced carbon footprint.”

”R1234yf is not a retrofit option for vehicles using R134a. R1234yf has an ASHRAE class A2L which means it’s mildly flammable."

Firestarter_phil

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi there member, I am a little troubled by not having a dipstick and relying on technology to tell me that it has oil, but hey ho…..it where we are.
That said, I’m struggling to get mine to read the oil level. It starts the process, revs rise etc, and then after 20 secs or so (didn’t actually time it) it aborts the process.
I have the vehicle up to temperature, in P and am on a level surface. Am I doing something wrong, or is it?
IMG_4573.jpegIMG_4574.jpeg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
But then how can it say "OK" for both values?

That's another bug.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think that's the result of the previous measurement.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi there member, I am a little troubled by not having a dipstick and relying on technology to tell me that it has oil, but hey ho…..it where we are.
If you have a diesel you do, so I assume yours is a petrol?

Back
Top Bottom