The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Oil check

RTG

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does the B57/B58 engine have a "dip stick".? I haven't been able to find reference to one.
If it doesn't.....(1) what will be the engine oil level manual checking procedure?, and (2) if the oil level sensor fails does this become an issue?

I haven't seen any final images of under the bonnet footage as yet giving a reveal of space and setup.

I imagine all of that has been covered, but some more technical details would be handy for us OCD people.

Cheers

Sylvan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
I posed this question to Ineos directly a while ago.

The answer I received was YES, the grenadier will definitely have a dipstick for manually checking oil level.

RTG

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
If you dont already have one, buy yourself a MiniVac for oil changes.  You can suck the oil straight through the dipstick holder, this is how BMW changes the oil.  

RTG

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Good to know….less messy

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yep. Total life saver. I use a manual pneumatic one in my garage to change oil. Exploring a small 12v pump for doing field oil changes. Much more compact

Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
A couple of shots under the hood can anyone spot the dipstick bear in mind its a prototype so there may not be one fitted!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score
I have found this picture, showing the B57 oil sump with accessories.

I think the front side is left of the picture, so if you are looking in driving direction the dip stick seems to be on the left side of the car, close to the bulkhead.

eddyoz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
The right angle bend looks more like an oil extraction pipe.....the electrical fitting #7 could be oil level sensor?

Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the B58 in BMW M240i did not have a dipstick, only electronic oil level indicator.  I hope they do add it though.  Also, the oil filter was a pain in neck to pull, doable, but at the back of the motor and hard to get to.

Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
part #7 is a combo oil level /oil sump temp unit. It appears #14 can be a dipstick dependent on  market.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Somewhere in the forum, it was said that according to an Ineos associate it has a dip stick.

> Also, the oil filter was a pain in neck to pull

I'm afraid that will also be the case with the Grenadier. It's a B58 - isn't it?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=ADVAW8S userid=8452459 postid=1332588276]If you dont already have one, buy yourself a MiniVac for oil changes.  You can suck the oil straight through the dipstick holder, this is how BMW changes the oil.  [/QUOTE]
And I am not convinced of that.

There are always residues at the very bottom of the oil pan. And they are smudgy, viscous, sticky and claggy. Goo which will not be cleared away by an evacuator.

Convenience always comes at a price. And my personal experience is, that it is best to let the oil and the goo go where it naturally goes: down. Preferably when it's hot. And if you have a magnetic oil drain plug, that's the only way to remove the shavings. It's an important part of the engine screening - which is absolutely indispensable.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
When using the Vac, you need to pump while it is hot.  Plus, the fact that you will run it with Liqui Moly 0w-20 and doing regular intervals versus extended changes, sludge, and all the goo is limited because of the nature of synthetic oil.   Another trick is to pour about 100ml of new oil and pump again.  Once it turns clear, you know you have extracted all the old oil. 

Everybody has their own way of doing things.   

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=ADVAW8S userid=8452459 postid=1332898937]When using the Vac, you need to pump while it is hot.  Plus, the fact that you will run it with Liqui Moly 0w-20 and doing regular intervals versus extended changes, sludge, and all the goo is limited because of the nature of synthetic oil.   Another trick is to pour about 100ml of new oil and pump again.  Once it turns clear, you know you have extracted all the old oil. 

Everybody has their own way of doing things.   [/QUOTE]

i use this method including pouring new oil and pumping again. I drain from the bottom once in 5-7 oil changes. Works well for me

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Doesn't convince me.

And the chips at the magnetic oil drain plug remain there, and they stay undetected which is even worse.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Like I say all the time "you do you"

Christian

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter