The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Oil check

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
If you dont already have one, buy yourself a MiniVac for oil changes. You can suck the oil straight through the dipstick holder, this is how BMW changes the oil.
My concern would be unless you are getting right down to the lowest point behind the sump plug you are leaving contaminated oil. Maybe it's not an issue and I have OCD but I like to remove all of the contaminated oil when I do an oil change.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Aren't you always going to get some old oil left in the system, especially if you have oil coolers.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
CountryV8 kindly posted the required oil specs for the IG, for diesel it's the old 5w/30. Here the dynamic lovely couple Vera & Christian praise 5W/40 over the 5w/30;

food for thought post warranty period

Local time
Reaction score
CountryV8 kindly posted the required oil specs for the IG, for diesel it's the old 5w/30. Here the dynamic lovely couple Vera & Christian praise 5W/40 over the 5w/30;

food for thought post warranty period
OMG

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Aren't you always going to get some old oil left in the system, especially if you have oil coolers.
Yeah of course but if I can get it out via the sump plug I figure a may as well.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
When using the Vac, you need to pump while it is hot. Plus, the fact that you will run it with Liqui Moly 0w-20 and doing regular intervals versus extended changes, sludge, and all the goo is limited because of the nature of synthetic oil. Another trick is to pour about 100ml of new oil and pump again. Once it turns clear, you know you have extracted all the old oil.

Everybody has their own way of doing things.
Warm to hot motor. Drain from above every 5000 miles or six months with the highest quality synthetic and OEM or better filters. We all have our religious practices. This is mine and has never let me down.

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
Wow that b58 is a plastic fantastic engine. You can barely see any aluminum through that forrest of plastic. It will be interesting to see how that survives the test of time.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And this is the B57 (diesel), didn't find it either
View attachment 7804093
Jean, great photos! Thank you (y)
According to the BMW engine training docs. posted elsewhere on the forum, a dipstick is fitted to the diesel only.
Check the photo posted by Max in post#21 for approx direction to find the dipstick in the diesel engine. It's at the rear of the engine, down low on the LHD driver's side.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Wow that b58 is a plastic fantastic engine. You can barely see any aluminum through that forrest of plastic. It will be interesting to see how that survives the test of time.
My '94 Discovery has a ton of plastic parts all over the engine and would you know it's still going after 30 years!

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
Unless you change the oil every 50,000 miles, you won't find any sludge in modern cars using modern oil. Come on.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
Warm to hot motor. Drain from above every 5000 miles or six months with the highest quality synthetic and OEM or better filters. We all have our religious practices. This is mine and has never let me down.
You will never cause a problem by exchanging the oil to often…

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Guess I'm going to have to think beyond a lump hammer and flat head looking at those birds nests!

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
In my BMW‘s with inline six ( Petrol) is novaii dipstick.
you have to check oil with the info system.

Back
Top Bottom