The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Oil check

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
So I had a go at this today. First attempt lasted for about 1 minute and gave me a brief message that the attempt had been aborted. I was on a 6 degree side slop at the time, so fair enough.
WP_20230514_016.jpg
[same message - different day].

I re-positioned the vehicle somewhere flatter and tried again. It seems to keep the previous reading:
WP_20230522_001.jpg
Note the revs rise on their own:
WP_20230522_002.jpg

And then it tells me that I'm half a litre down on oil or it's used that much in 251 miles. Now that was a PDI item, wasn't it?:
WP_20230522_004.jpg

And none of the screen messages remotely reflect what's in the Owner's Manual:
Screenshot_20230523_061232.jpg

It looks more and more like things like the Owner's Manual have been outsourced to a third party with no real oversight on the output.

It's been delivered, invoiced, paid, a tick put on the project plan and they've moved to the next outstanding critical task... 🙃

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:06 AM
Reaction score
I'm assuming the requirement to have more oil in the sump/available given the vehicle may be at strange angles and potentially starving the oil pickup.
Makes sense. If you were to add the recommended 500ml, would the on-road level say there's too much oil? I'm not trying to be obtuse - just genuinely curious how two different oil levels are acceptable from the same system.

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
Makes sense. If you were to add the recommended 500ml, would the on-road level say there's too much oil? I'm not trying to be obtuse - just genuinely curious how two different oil levels are acceptable from the same system.
I suspect the on road acceptable range is 0-1 litre low and the off road acceptable range is 0-500ml. Hence he is still in the acceptable range for on road use and out of acceptable range for off road.

AWo

Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
I.M.H.O. a dip stick is a must. 2018 we drove to the netherlands to buy the 101 FWC. While I stopped the car at the dealer, the oil warning light went on, for just a second. I checked the oil, put 2,0 litres in and the dip stick was still dry. Later we figured out that a small 1 cent rubber piece at the oil separator (a small rubber valve) fall down next to the camshaft and the turbo sucked 400 ml of oil within 70 km.

That could have been the engine death on the highway just because the oil pressure sensor may have acted too late. Without the dipstick...what had we done? No chance other than to go to the workshop...and then? How do they check if enough oil is in? I assume a complete change of oil will be done. If the sensor went on as a mistake....you may often get an oil change.

BTW....how do you prevent overfilling the engine, if there is no dipstick? Are there some electronic sensors telling you when it is enough or do you have to count the litres exactly (which leads to an oil change every time there is a problem).

AWo

Last edited:

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:06 PM
Reaction score
So I had a go at this today. First attempt lasted for about 1 minute and gave me a brief message that the attempt had been aborted. I was on a 6 degree side slop at the time, so fair enough.
View attachment 7813145
[same message - different day].

I re-positioned the vehicle somewhere flatter and tried again. It seems to keep the previous reading:
View attachment 7813140
Note the revs rise on their own:
View attachment 7813139

And then it tells me that I'm half a litre down on oil or it's used that much in 251 miles. Now that was a PDI item, wasn't it?:
View attachment 7813141
Assuming you have the diesel, did you check the dipstick to compare?

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All I know is there's half a litre missing...of an oil not available in the UK!
The spec is SAE 0/5W-30 BMW LL-12FE for diesel, SAE 0/5W-20 BMW LL-17FE for petrol - you should be able to find either of these as they are the same spec as used by BMW for these engines.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Assuming you have the diesel, did you check the dipstick to compare?
Yes, I have the diesel. Looked a couple of times from above but no obvious sign of a dipstick.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From the Owner's Manual the recommended Engine Oil is Petronas Syntium 0W30 DG.
And that appears not to be publicly available ( certainly in the UK) currently. And I'm sure someone ( you?) on the forum ( after speaking with Petronas) said it was a "first fill" only oil.
So the question is, what are dealers using for PDIs and subsequent oil change services.?

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I have the diesel. Looked a couple of times from above but no obvious sign of a dipstick.
Apparently it's right down the back and right side.
This is from a BMW X5, B57, so I'm not sure it's a perfect 1:1 with the Grenadier.

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 3.33.40 pm.png

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, it's been seen on early engines but getting to it is another matter...

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Wayneos ...depending from where you "look" . From the front of the car looking towards the windscreen, then, yes the dipstick is on the RHS.(y)
The convention is that LH/RH are determined from behind the driver's seat looking forwards, in which case the dipstick is on the LHS of the engine well back towards the firewall and down low.:oops:
From other posts here, it may be partially hidden by the large engine cover and possibly has a 'black' handle rather than the conventional "yellow". The dipstick was certainly used for its intended purpose by the Ineos engineers during their Australian testing viz:
Happy hunting!!;)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Screenshot_20220803_063331.jpg
Green circle is where it's been seen.
Blue line would be where it should be going to be the least bit useful.

Back
Top Bottom