The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Offset steering

Mauro

Contract Signed
Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
I have tried to find answers on the forum but have not found that this topic has been covered.
I read then of someone has offset steering.
Mine is too, a few degrees to the left.
Has anyone gotten a solution from Ineos yet? Thank you very much

Joergchm

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
My Test-Grenadier steering whell was also extremely off ---< The dealer told me that it's sadly not only a small alignment to solve...they need to do a complete recalibration which is currently a big issue since they don't have the tools for it (Germany). My wife even rejected to drive the car since the offset was really massive !

Vote:
Upvote 0

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:08 PM
Reaction score
I am a bit confused
Are we talking about this line on the steering wheel not being centred when the wheels are straight ahead or the wheels not being straight ahead when the wheel is not being held?
Or some combination of both?
1689314098189.png

Vote:
Upvote 0

KBKLR

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
In my case, to go straight ahead, the line on the top of the wheel is sitting around 5 degrees (clockwise) and the steering wheel is uncomfortable to hold when holding a dead ahead course. There is also a constant force required to maintain the heading, which may be contributing to a developing pain in my right elbow. I have the saddle leather wheel and I wonder if the fitter of these wheels has a bit of a squint? or are all vehicles affected?

Vote:
Upvote 0

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In my case, to go straight ahead, the line on the top of the wheel is sitting around 5 degrees (clockwise) and the steering wheel is uncomfortable to hold when holding a dead ahead course. There is also a constant force required to maintain the heading, which may be contributing to a developing pain in my right elbow. I have the saddle leather wheel and I wonder if the fitter of these wheels has a bit of a squint? or are all vehicles affected?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFRh8HOXmJo

Vote:
Upvote 0

KBKLR

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Dave, thanks for posting that, great video on alignment and may explain the symptoms I have. I wonder what the root cause of this problem could be?

Vote:
Upvote 0

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have tried to find answers on the forum but have not found that this topic has been covered.
I read then of someone has offset steering.
Mine is too, a few degrees to the left.
Has anyone gotten a solution from Ineos yet? Thank you very much
No solution from Ineos posted on here (I think?) but I posted a general fix from my Defender maintenance manual here:
Post in thread 'Auslieferungen Deutschland' https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/auslieferungen-deutschland.12411118/post-1333190812

I can't see how the Grenadier should be much different to fix.

Vote:
Upvote 0

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My Test-Grenadier steering whell was also extremely off ---< The dealer told me that it's sadly not only a small alignment to solve...they need to do a complete recalibration which is currently a big issue since they don't have the tools for it (Germany). My wife even rejected to drive the car since the offset was really massive !
Have you asked specifically what the tools are they don't have?

Remembering the days when F1 teams did it with string and broom handles:
19d3c9_c15953c0ff43403d87f18da3c80402f1~mv2.jpg

Vote:
Upvote 0

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Dave, thanks for posting that, great video on alignment and may explain the symptoms I have. I wonder what the root cause of this problem could be?
Just incorrect procedures in the factory.
Remember this factory and it's workers have been building Smart cars

Vote:
Upvote 0

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
Not being facetious here, but are you certain you are on a level surface? A slight road camber to allow for drainage will have a similar effect and a small tilt of the wheel is needed to keep the car going straight. I’m just thinking with the recirculating ball steering and relatively low steering gearing, the “offset” needed to overcome the road camber just may be a little exaggerated compared to passenger cars, where it’s hardly noticeable. I could be way off here, but just something that occurred to me.

Vote:
Upvote 0

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not being facetious here, but are you certain you are on a level surface? A slight road camber to allow for drainage will have a similar effect and a small tilt of the wheel is needed to keep the car going straight. I’m just thinking with the recirculating ball steering and relatively low steering gearing, the “offset” needed to overcome the road camber just may be a little exaggerated compared to passenger cars, where it’s hardly noticeable. I could be way off here, but just something that occurred to me.
you are right on the ball! Road camber combined with high side walls and recirculating ball steering all contribute to the offset experienced. Low profile tyres with rack and pinion steering as you rightly point out are usually minimally affected by drainage camber.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Mauro

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I tried in all conditions. It's not the road. It's really the steering wheel. With the steering wheel straight, the car definitely goes to the right. There seems to be a problem in the rest position. I think it may be a problem with the steering column. It will not be easy to fix and it is really very annoying. It takes away the pleasure of driving.

Vote:
Upvote 0

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I tried in all conditions. It's not the road. It's really the steering wheel. With the steering wheel straight, the car definitely goes to the right. There seems to be a problem in the rest position. I think it may be a problem with the steering column. It will not be easy to fix and it is really very annoying. It takes away the pleasure of driving.
In that case, I'm thinking wheel alignment. Get them to properly centre the steering wheel then realign the wheels. Also ask (= 'insist') that they check the relative alignment of the rear axle to ensure the vehicle isn't "crabbing".

Vote:
Upvote 0

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
The reason I thought of the road camber was the fact that I just spent the last few days driving my father’s Mini Cooper about 2000 miles to take him to see his original hometown. It was a similar, but completely opposite experience. The steering is so precise and quick, you have really pay attention as the road camber will make the car move to the side and any minimal steering input has a dramatic effect on the direction of the car. It was a little exhausting to drive, but that thing handles like a go cart, a lot of fun at the same time. Hope these problems get sorted in your Grens.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If it’s the same as the Suzuki Jimny steering, with this kind of symptom. It’s a five minute fix by adjusting the drag link on the steering rod. Adjusting it accurately by doing some trial and error, it can also eliminate any dead play in the steering. If it’s pulling to the right, you need to shorten the drag link.

Vote:
Upvote 0

froggy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine was not straight, the dealer has adjusted it and also adjusted the alignment it’s fine now and the steering is much better now.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom