The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Off Road Caravan

Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
Anyone else on here planning to tow caravan? I have a full off road caravan 18ft, 6" weighing 2.7t which I happily tow around Australia on and off road with my 2006 Disco. Looking at the new reviews I'm a little concerned about the steering, particularly when towing the caravan. The Carsales video is the one that got me where he's steering from side to side in a straight line and the cars not swaying at all. I didnt notice this on my drive day. Anyone else concerned about towing?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
Anyone else on here planning to tow caravan? I have a full off road caravan 18ft, 6" weighing 2.7t which I happily tow around Australia on and off road with my 2006 Disco. Looking at the new reviews I'm a little concerned about the steering, particularly when towing the caravan. The Carsales video is the one that got me where he's steering from side to side in a straight line and the cars not swaying at all. I didnt notice this on my drive day. Anyone else concerned about towing?
Not in the slightest, I occasionally tow a 3.5t trailer. I personally had no steering issues with the grenadier, on the test drive on and off road. It was mentioned that the production vehicle would have the steering " tightened up" however I never raised any concerns.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
Kingsley. I have a similar van to you, and I intend to use the Grenadier to tow it as well.

I must admit I was a bit surprised by all of the comments about the steering, as I never got to experience any such problem on my drive day - however it was all off road and this may indeed be something only noticed on the tarmac. Perhaps this is the same experience as you.
I noticed the Carsales comment about the steering whilst towing, and I acknowledge that it got me thinking too.

I suppose there is no way to really know what it is going to be like until we get some impressions from the caravan magazines when they do their tow tests - or if our cars arrive before then.

That being said, I have towed 3T vans with many different 4x4/SUV's and there is NOT a perfect tow vehicle - everything has compromises. I would not rate my two LC200's that I had the best tow vehicles that I have owned, so that tells you something about towing compromises in the OZ market. Their OEM suspension was inadequate, and the GVM upgrades required made them steer far worse that I would imagine the IG being. (Yes I did dozens of wheel alignments to attempt a fix)

However, the IG has many many positives going for it in the towing space - Good low down torque, high payload, high tare weight of the vehicle, 3500kg tow capacity with 350kg on the ball, LT tyres, great ZF box, anti sway electronics, large wheelbase and track etc etc. However the main unsung thing which appeals to me is the short overhang distance from the rear axle to the tow ball - this will lessen many of the pitching and sideways movements that you can experience over undulations on crap OZ roads - but also keep the front steering axle more firmly planted on the road.
Ineos also at this stage will be allowing usage of a WDH if such a device is needed.

I my mind, the Grenadier has been designed as a high load tow vehicle from the outset too, so they must of tested it and deemed the drive experience acceptable. Also the steering "feel" seems to be inherent to the IG due to the ball steering so I am not too worried that towing a van will exacerbate the problem. Also I have noticed that in some videos, the steering doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

Guaranteed though, after this round of press releases, INEOS engineers are looking into any perceived problem in this area.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
All those Journo’s are used to driving rack and pinion steering setups. Recirculating ball needs a little getting used to. The steering on my D2 is way worse, and I had no trouble towing 3.5t of boat. The steering on the IG felt tight to me.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
I towed heavy trailers with my TD5. The steering never has been the problem 😬

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I learnt to drive in an '88 manual Range Rover and it became my first car, I thrashed the daylight out of that thing and drove it like I stole it. The steering on that would have been far sloppier than the Grenadier (plus it had a huge steering wheel, narrow tyres and floaty suspension), you quickly adapt and it will become a non issue.

Norville

Reservation Holder
Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
I plan on having it setup to tow this (picture below). Not sure of course what it will take to set it up, but should be more capable than my Taco, theoretically. Will I use it for towing more often - probably not as I like to load up bikes and the such in my bed which is easier than an enclosed space. But I probably will to enjoy it on some camping outings when I don't take bikes, etc.

DSC01103.JPG

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The steering feel is similar to the 70 series Toyota apparently (after I just watched the latest review) so wait until you drive one and see, I will be towing close to what you have and the only mod I can see ATM is air bags for the rear.

Local time
11:46 PM
Reaction score
Hi Kingsley,
I towed a 2.8t off road hybrid caravan with a TD5 Discovery, and with a 280,000km 20 year old recirculating ball and worm steering box, a 2.5 metre wheel base, 1.3 meters of rear overhang, and 2.1t kerb weight for quite a while and it was fine, steering was never an issue, just power.
Compare that with the Ineos 2.922 metre wheel base, 800mm rear overhang, and 2.8t kerb weight, and state of the art motors, I think it would be hard to find another wagon that comes even close, I think the new Defender would be the closest rival, but my money is on the Ineos.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For what they are they are expensive ($300k AU), this is a far better model than the previous one as the room internally is much better. Lots of tech in these which in my opinion for an off grid van is unnecessary. There are similar options available at one third of the price and equally capable.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For what they are they are expensive ($300k AU), this is a far better model than the previous one as the room internally is much better. Lots of tech in these which in my opinion for an off grid van is unnecessary. There are similar options available at one third of the price and equally capable.
Recommendations? This is unfamiliar territory for me…

Chelsea Tractor

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
We too commented on reviewers use of the steering wheel - glad to hear IG will tighten this up. Several trips in our current rig with a prototype of the 2300# dry Overkill 5.10.S.O we had no issues towing except higher AddBlue usage. One trail had a 19% grade rest were easier. Current rig is rated for 7700# tow capacity, should not be an issue for the IG either.
Trailer is very complete with 5’x10’x5’ cabin, 20” ground clearance, Timbren 3500HD axles, Lock-n-roll hitch, ARK 500 rocky wheel, 300Ah battery, 3000W inverter, 340W solar, Victron sys w bluetooth, 32 gal of water, hot & cold water at kitchen & shower, dining table for four, cabin heater, Full galley with inside pass thru, 22” Cook Partner, 20# propane tank, KO2 tires, Spare tire & carrier, sleeping 4 adults + bed for kids / pets, lots of interior & exterior storage, Nomadic OVS Awning 270 w side panels
Trailer photos:

Attachments

• Otis & Abby small.jpg
    Otis & Abby small.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Otis & Abby pop-up Small.jpg
    Otis & Abby pop-up Small.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Otis & Abby inside small.jpg
    Otis & Abby inside small.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Nomadic OVS Awning 270.jpg