The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

No Diesel variant in North America

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:31 PM
Reaction score
ADVAW8S said:
Something to think about.  If you take the X7 or even the x5, they average 21 in city and 25 on highway.  Then say the engine was detuned reducing HP and adding a smother power range, you might expect the same MPG as the current BMW lineup

I'd also imagine that a big part of the "retuning" was to get it to work with 87 octane (US market, I know there are subtle difference between how US and ROW measure and report octane rating for petrol).  If it's 87 octane tuned and gets about 20-21 MPG highway, I'll be very happy with the petrol engine.

TnUplander

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Could be but BMW run/ran that engine here requiring premium (89 min I think).  Wife had it in her X5 and ran 93.   I think she got about 22 highway.  Never had any issue with the engine or transmission in the 60K miles she put on it from new.  She has an X6 with the V8 now....burns a little oil.  

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Since the tune didn't actually increase torque - and I'm willing to bet there are no bespoke cams with altered timing for more bottom-end power - the "re-tuned for torque" is a polite way of saying "detuned to run on 87 regular and not require 89 premium or 91 super" lol.  And I'm totally okay with that.  For a performance car, I'd be happy with more power and having to use 91 super.  But for a brick like the Grenadier, meh.  Cheaper fill ups are where it's at.

So if we look at the gas mileage of the premium/super tune B58 in the X7, I think we can see a number that won't be too far off from what we get.  The X7 is ballpark in terms of weight (5400 lbs), and I'm willing to give it an aerodynamics advantage by a good bit.  Still, it's rated at 19 city, 24 highway.  I'd say given those numbers that 20 highway is within reach.  90L/23.8G tank gives pretty good range - 400 miles is about how long my bladder lasts between stops.

TnUplander

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
That may well be the most sensible reason yet presented.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
Keep in mind when discussing MPG of the engines that US Gallons are only 85% of a real gallon., So you can't compare figures on range with other countries unless you work out if they are using US Gallons or Imperial gallons. Litres however are always the same no matter where you are. 

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
The reason given at the LA viewing was that BMW are not type approving their diesel for the US market with the current regulations and they are pursuing a plug in hybrid powertrain and have been for a few years apparently. Granted this isn't necessarily the best option for a long range expedition vehicle, but at the moment its the only option we have for North America. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/11/bmw-cancels-diesels-united-states-2019/

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There was a song about "Electric Dreams" ...I'm sure the lyrics could be amended to accommodate the hype ....??

Local time
Reaction score
Well...  I've owned dozens of gas and diesel powered vehicles  in the past, including a 2000 LR Defender 110 and a brand new Chev with a Duramax. All the sensors and DEF excuses that affect reliability, as mentioned above, are easily solved with a simple DPF delete. Take that off, and the diesel out performs gas in every category. The Grenadier is not a vehicle I planned in leasing or owning for a short term. I absolutely love this vehicle and have been following them since day 1. I'm so disappointed that they won't bring the diesel variant to NA. From what I  heard, BMW did not bother to go through testing to get their diesel approved in NA, and that is why Ineos is not including it, but why the F did Ineos go with BMW to being with? They should have stuck a Cummins in there, or better yet, an inline 5 that GM put in their new 1/2 tons. I'm driving one right now, and it tows my 10,000lb trailer with no problem and gets better gas mileage than my wife's Honda. I believe it was made by Isuzu. It's a hell of a good engine. Anyways, whatever. Our idiot of a PM, Justin Turdeau, is hellbent on making fuel unaffordable with his BS green agenda, so even if they offered the diesel, chances are there will be no diesel in 5 years, or it will be so expensive that no one can afford it, and we'll all be stuck converting our gas powered Grenadiers to some sort of alternative fuel or electric. I was going to be 11 of these trucks to replace a work fleet, but I need them for towing so I'll likely just buy one now, and use it as personal vehicle.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=BradR userid=9006396 postid=1332815402]Well...  I've owned dozens of gas and diesel powered vehicles  in the past, including a 2000 LR Defender 110 and a brand new Chev with a Duramax. All the sensors and DEF excuses that affect reliability, as mentioned above, are easily solved with a simple DPF delete. Take that off, and the diesel out performs gas in every category. The Grenadier is not a vehicle I planned in leasing or owning for a short term. I absolutely love this vehicle and have been following them since day 1. I'm so disappointed that they won't bring the diesel variant to NA. From what I  heard, BMW did not bother to go through testing to get their diesel approved in NA, and that is why Ineos is not including it, but why the F did Ineos go with BMW to being with? They should have stuck a Cummins in there, or better yet, an inline 5 that GM put in their new 1/2 tons. I'm driving one right now, and it tows my 10,000lb trailer with no problem and gets better gas mileage than my wife's Honda. I believe it was made by Isuzu. It's a hell of a good engine. Anyways, whatever. Our idiot of a PM, Justin Turdeau, is hellbent on making fuel unaffordable with his BS green agenda, so even if they offered the diesel, chances are there will be no diesel in 5 years, or it will be so expensive that no one can afford it, and we'll all be stuck converting our gas powered Grenadiers to some sort of alternative fuel or electric. I was going to be 11 of these trucks to replace a work fleet, but I need them for towing so I'll likely just buy one now, and use it as personal vehicle.[/QUOTE] Keeping in mind that North America has never been stated as a target market for Ineos putting the GM engine, which is manufactured in USA in a Joint Venture between Isuzu and GM, would not be good for the rest of the world. Neither would a Cummings as that is also built on the wrong continent and not available in the rest of the world. BMW dropped Diesel in the US because customer demand was mainly for petrol engines there not diesel.   As BMW doesn't support the B58 in that region neither could Ineos easily 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
> As BMW doesn't support the B58 in that region neither could Ineos easily 

B57 ?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=emax userid=8900646 postid=1332815815]> As BMW doesn't support the B58 in that region neither could Ineos easily 

B57 ?[/QUOTE] Yeah sorry I just keep thinking petrol when someone mentions US/Canada. I am certainly happy that Ineos chose the BMW/ZF combination for the Diesel 

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I too would love to see a diesel offering in the U.S. too... maybe the GM LM2 (3 liter inline 6 cylinder with over 400 ft lb torque, giving the truck it's in better than 30 miles per gallon). It's pretty new so long term isn't known... but something along those lines would be nice. I also want the beefier version of transmission that comes with the IG diesel offering, to handle the upgraded torque. 

TnUplander

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I  too would like to see them adopt the GM 3.0L and transmission.  It shouldn't be a difficult drop in at all.  Have yet to see them publish MPG for NA market.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah definitely would have been a nice option, shame it is a delete for N/A

SteveO90290

Reservation Holder
Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
Hi Members,

As an owner of a 3 different modern diesels in California, I have some experience with this subject. Have owned a BMW X5d, Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel in 2014, and a BMW 3 series diesel sport wagon.

The X5d was a great rig, but really not meant for off road. I had no problems with it in the 2 years I had it. I only traded it in to have an off-road capable diesel rig.

My Jeep GC EcoD has been a big headache from the moment I drove it home. I should have lemoned it, but kept leaning in. After many pre diesel gate emissions issues I finally thought everything was going well, and started my build. When FCA got busted for defeat device we all had to have new software flashed, and things went downhill. I used the cash from the FCA diesel scandal to purchase some goodies to get my performance back, and enable me to burn fuel that would be available in other countries I'd hoped to travel to. I still own this rig, but have lost hope of it ever being reliable. Getting reliable service from the dealers has been problematic, and Jeep diesels are rare, so the average mechanic might not be able to work on one.

My 2018 3 series diesel wagon has been a great car, and so far very reliable. There is a fuel pump recall that has no solution, but I run renewable diesel, or fuel additive so I'm not too worried. I will probably trade this car soon as the US emissions equipment does tend to gunk up the intake manifolds and cause problems later.

Bottom line, I like diesel, but in the US they need to be altered to be reliable, and those aren't legal. If Ineos did sell the diesel here you would be very limited on traveling very far south of the boarder due to the USA requirement for ultra low sulfur diesel, that Mexico is behind on producing.

I have had good luck with BMW both gas and diesel, so I am stoked that Ineos has chosen them for a engine partner, and looking forward to my Grenadier!

Back
Top Bottom