The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Newbie questions- Sand driving

NJRIDE

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
Hi, all! Just got my Grenadier in the US. Plan to do a lot of beach driving. I’ve read plenty and watched reviews but wanted to come directly to the source- fellow owners with experience!

What pressure do you run your tires for real soft sand? And anyone recommend a good tire inflater? Or other gear I should keep handy?

Thanks!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
Sand pressures will depend on what environment you're in (actual beach vs in dunes), speed you'll be traveling, and whether or not you'll be applying any side load (turning while moving) at speed.

Also the difference between 17" and 18" wheels will make a slight difference in pressure.

A couple rough guidelines: start at 17-18psi and you can try to go lower; make sure that if you air down you have a way to air up; and make sure you have basic recovery gear.

Personally, ARB air gear has always been a win in my experience. I use their tools for both inflating and deflating.

For recovery gear, make sure you have appropriate shackles and a kinetic rope/strap that is appropriately sized for the vehicle. Maxtrax (or similar generics) could definitely be helpful as well.

baders

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
In addition to anand's excellent reply, make sure you have Electronic Stability Control turned OFF (use Offroad Mode) when tackling dunes. You do not want it to limit traction half way up.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
For soft sand @anand has got that covered in the response above.

I’ll mention beach driving though, as you mentioned beach then asked about soft sand. Beach driving I run 22psi, as that will get the vehicle safely up to 80-90 km/h (50-56 mph) without worrying about the tyre separating from the wheel. I find this a good general purpose beach driving pressure for the Gren.

18 psi and lower one has to be aware of speed and resisting the urge to do tight turning.

Don’t forget locking the centre diff in high where appropriate. On beach I just leave it locked.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You asked about inflation, to me deflation is more important (boring standing around awaiting for tyres to deflate).

This is my goto deflator, from TJM, I’m not aware if this is available in the USA but the price in Australia is excellent ($57 AUD). It removes the valve core and it’s quick. The similar ARB product is much more expensive and a review rated them similar in accuracy.

AWo

Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
Sand eats a lot of power, keep the engine on high revs and choose a strong gear (limit where the automatic may switch to).

AWo

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I do a lot of beach driving and 22psi is my go to but if the going is really tough 18psi but for limited times. I have gone down as low as 8psi to get out of a serious bog but immediately air up when out. ARB single compressor is all that is needed for inflation. Staun deflators to go down backed up with a pressure guage.

bamanuke

Production/Transit
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
Sugar sand down here on the Florida gulf coast, On it every other weekend, never deflated. Lock the center diff and go. Soft sand here really isn't that deep though. Nothing like that stuff Down Under!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve had a set of staun deflaters for as long as I can remember and haven’t bothered with anything else.
Local knowledge helps as well - don’t be afraid to ask guys that have been where you are going.
I’ll let them down to 18psi at Fraser Island and have no problems all week generally.
But I know the beaches on the west coast and Tassie for example get heaps of hidden weed and super soft sand as a result so they may use a different psi as their go to.
As said above, letting them down even just a few psi makes a bit difference when it gets hard going, so experimenting doesn’t hurt, and if you’re really struggling 8-10psi helps get out of most things.
And don’t forget if you let them down you need to pump them back up. The number of times some bloke has been stuck and said he didn’t want to let them down any further because he had no way of getting them back up. So get a decent compressor and don’t rely on others.
Same with recovery gear. Get your own and don’t rely on someone else having gear.
But the big thing is if you’re stopped and not going anywhere regardless of pressure, get off the loud pedal and either let your tyre pressure down or use your maxtrax etc. It doesn’t matter what tyre pressure you have, if your body is stuck firmly on the sand to the chassis rails and you’ve dug big holes under your tryes from revving thw crap out of it, you’re going nowhere fast and up for lots and lots of work.

Oh, and sorry if you know all of this, I’m writing for the benefit of a newby, you may not be.

Last edited:

Sven

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
In the sand , lower is the pressure better is the ride , i live in the sand in the south of France , personally when I have problems , i go to 5 psi !!!!

but to start in the sand , 14psi is good

Back
Top Bottom