The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

New improved steering! - diffrent Box + less play Late 2023/2024 cars

Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
They are not "production" technically; they are still considered some sort of pre-production hybrid, and are of varying degrees of "production" level (some have bits and bobs that others do not, that make then more like a MY23 or more like a MY24, but are truly neither one). This applies to the Ineos corporate demos, dealer demos (which are still owned by Ineos), and media vehicles
Yeah, and Ive gone back and forth on that whole "pre-production" thing.
Ok, they have bits and bobs from 2 different years but built with production materials, production tolerances, production fit and finish, production mechanicals, production fabrication and on and on.
Most "pre-production" vehicles are vehicles built BEFORE certain things regarding materials, fit and finish, final mechanicals, and whatever else is finalized.
These are demo vehicles to showcase the vehicle, a marketing tool.
The "bits and bobs" are to showcase the options and whatnot.
Maybe a semantics issue, idk.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:46 AM
Reaction score
I had a follow-up chat with an Ineos Rep who spoke to the technical team. There is ZERO change to the steering system or components between '23 and '24 vehicles. So while exciting to think of - not going to see it.
Info I can source also suggests there is no hardware change on steering for cars, including 23.5 and 24. Does not preclude anything software, Im not sufficiently across electric/jydraulic combo to know if that is a possibility. You’d probably like to think not, unless it is burned onto a bombproof chip… even then… but happy to learn something from anyone who knows?

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bump

Wondering if anyone has additional info since the last post?

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:46 PM
Reaction score
Info I can source also suggests there is no hardware change on steering for cars, including 23.5 and 24. Does not preclude anything software, Im not sufficiently across electric/jydraulic combo to know if that is a possibility. You’d probably like to think not, unless it is burned onto a bombproof chip… even then… but happy to learn something from anyone who knows?

Bump

Wondering if anyone has additional info since the last post?
I did see something here that the software updates changed the pressure in the steering system which made it feel tighter. Think a gentleman from the UK brought that up

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
4:46 PM
Reaction score
I don’t mind it not centering but would like better highway manners after driving 100 miles yesterday. It’s not the worst but if it can be fixed with a steering dampener then I might try it.

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
Same as one I've talk to this vendor on - but located in WA. I think the key though is to see how we like the vehicle first before tweaking - so this is perhaps a 'back of the pocket' sanity pill.

View attachment 7836622
My larger concern is that the steering stabilizer has less ground clearance than the rest of the steering components. My fear is that it is only a matter of time until it gets bashed or broken. Not really sure why it is mounted in the position that it currently resides in.

Local time
4:46 PM
Reaction score
My larger concern is that the steering stabilizer has less ground clearance than the rest of the steering components. My fear is that it is only a matter of time until it gets bashed or broken. Not really sure why it is mounted in the position that it currently resides in.
They broke it off-roading in the Red Noland prototype and said its fine without it.

Local time
Reaction score
steering_damper.png
When they installed a new one, I believe they mounted it behind the tie rod, as opposed to below the tie rod. Much better clearance. At least that is how it looked to me. Not sure what that involved, or why it doesn't come from the factory in this location. Be good to know...

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They currently do not make the dampener for a Grenadier - but will when they get one for fitment. The ground clearance they know is a requirement. I’ve been talking with the head of R&D about it.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is no doubt it is not in a good spot. The saving grace is that it’s pretty easy to remove in the field and it won’t cripple the car, it will still be driveable.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Using a custom made double ended bolt that is used very successfully doing a similar mod on Jeep JK/JL, I am looking at a Bilstein steering damper mounted above, deleting the welded mount below once testing for clearances are confirmed. Can advise late in January when the work is complete

Illustrated here without the bolt (there is a possible clearance issue to be checked through all suspension travel range)
IMG_2738.jpeg

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Using a custom made double ended bolt that is used very successfully doing a similar mod on Jeep JK/JL, I am looking at a Bilstein steering damper mounted above, deleting the welded mount below once testing for clearances are confirmed. Can advise late in January when the work is complete

Illustrated here without the bolt (there is a possible clearance issue to be checked through all suspension travel range)
View attachment 7836799
HI Douggie, You might give some consideration to the "Exact Center Steering Stabilzer from Road Master. Both @YellowLab and I have been speaking to the company and they are going to support the Grenadier once a Forum member brings their Grenaider over to them. They are based in Washington State in the USA. They have a patent on this Return to Center Steering Stabilizer which is very unique and sounds perfect for the Grenadier. Not only is it a stabilizer, it also has a return to center function built in.
Once Road Master gets a Grenadier, they will put together an install kit with brackets specific for the Grenadier for the USA and Canada market. In the USA and Canada the stock stabilizer is positioned higher then in the rest of the world as a result of the US and Canada having LHD. If you could get the measurements from them of their product, perhaps you could adapt it to where you are showing your idea installed higher up. Check out the link below and the videos they have on the link. They have two Return to Center Stabilizers. One has a spring over the stabilizer and the other has internal hydraulics. DaBull

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
based in Washington State in the USA.
I looked to see where they are to see if it would be worth making a day of being a guinea pig. They're in Vancouver, WA, which might more easily be doable for one of the Portland area members.

Back
Top Bottom