The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

NATO Socket for portable Solar

carpetman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone use the NATO socket as a portable solar input?

I have a factory single battery setup. I'm adding 100AH LiFePO4 and will use a Victron Smart Solar + Victron Orion XS DC to DC. I plan to move the NATO socket power to the 7 pin busbar and free up the 5 pin busbar for the aux power. I'm thinking about running a wire (fused) from the external side of the NATO Albright relay and use this to drive the Victron Solar input. My thinking is that with this I can keep the NATO output functionality and enable solar input.

I don't think these two systems will interfere with each other:
Modes of operation:
1. Solar input for external with Relay off - No issues
2. NATO socket energized via over head panel - Solar input will see Crank battery voltage, I think this should be ok, voltage will not be high enough to charge AUX battery (need at least 16V)
3. NATO socket turned when solar is connected (vehicle must be in netural, drive etc) - The 200W of solar (open circuit of 24V), may charge the battery with maybe 10A - but the voltage will drop to the crank battery levels.

I've seen the option of using the roof plugs and that will be my fall back.
I'm looking for feedback if this will work.

Also, ideas on where to mount the Victron units would be great.

Cheers
Carpetman

slukell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
Although an "unorthodox" approach, I personally believe this will work fine from an electrics point of view for the reasons you describe. In fact, I think I will follow suit with my lithium "house battery" with charger in the back, which is in addition to the factory aux (backup) battery.

I already wired the charger DC input from the internal side of the relay, but I didn't yet have a plan for the solar input other than the standard Aussie way, which is a red Anderson plug by the hitch. The NATO plug approach is much neater and less intrusive, especially since I already have a NATO to Anderson adapter. I use it for a compressor and powering an offroad trailer while driving (below 80 km/h).

Thanks for thinking of this!

carpetman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
th
Although an "unorthodox" approach, I personally believe this will work fine from an electrics point of view for the reasons you describe. In fact, I think I will follow suit with my lithium "house battery" with charger in the back, which is in addition to the factory aux (backup) battery.

I already wired the charger DC input from the internal side of the relay, but I didn't yet have a plan for the solar input other than the standard Aussie way, which is a red Anderson plug by the hitch. The NATO plug approach is much neater and less intrusive, especially since I already have a NATO to Anderson adapter. I use it for a compressor and powering an offroad trailer while driving (below 80 km/h).

Thanks for thinking of th

Thanks for thinking of this!
Thank you for the feedback. I’ll let you know how it goes. cheers

Back
Top Bottom