The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

NATO Plug,Socket

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
Australian update: NATO to Anderson adapter

I have had an Australian Co contact me to work on a solution. I have also contacted my INEOS Dealer to get involved (they are interested). Sorry to be vague, but this only happened yesterday and we are working on details and a NATO to Anderson adapter to test.

They are also working on a Deutsch DTP plug kit customised for INEOS users (I will post info to the Deutsch DTP thread in due course). The CEO asked for some feedback recently so I gave it and the Co. followed up on both matters!
Awesome work @TheDocAUS ! I am certainly interested in both the NATO adapter and the Deutsche kit when they are launched. Cheers

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
Tow ball has to be replaced because even though it has a 350 kg approved load, it is not approved for cycle racks etc.
Interesting, I didn't know that was a separate "thing".

I contacted Brink for the details of the standard towbar they were providing and they sent me the attached two documents.

I also checked the locking wheel nuts out, I don’t think they are fit for steel wheels, they are clearly made to fit the alloy wheels so told JT Hughes not to fit them.
Do you mean just cosmetically or something more technical?

Attachments

• Goedkeuring homologatie TB-1 ext. 01.pdf
    270.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 530087-1-C.pdf
    514.4 KB · Views: 62

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tow ball has to be replaced because even though it has a 350 kg approved load, it is not approved for cycle racks etc.

I contacted Brink for the details of the standard towbar they were providing and they sent me the attached two documents.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Last Saturday I went to see my Trialmaster. It has both the NATO and the Eu 13 pin plugs fitted and wired in . Tow ball has to be replaced because even though it has a 350 kg approved load, it is not approved for cycle racks etc. I ordered the tow pack electrics and 50mm tow ball etc for the UK and that is how it was delivered.
I also checked the locking wheel nuts out, I don’t think they are fit for steel wheels, they are clearly made to fit the alloy wheels so told JT Hughes not to fit them.
Looks great and can’t wait to get it!
So glad I ordered Brittania Blue, so lovely, mine has white roof

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score

I have had an Australian Co contact me to work on a solution. I have also contacted my INEOS Dealer to get involved (they are interested). Sorry to be vague, but this only happened yesterday and we are working on details and a NATO to Anderson adapter to test.

They are also working on a Deutsch DTP plug kit customised for INEOS users (I will post info to the Deutsch DTP thread in due course). The CEO asked for some feedback recently so I gave it and the Co. followed up on both matters!
Great news Michael! Kim very interested and look forward to hearing more in the fullness of time.

I also think you may find a lot of interest from other Australian dealers.

Cheers
Steve

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Nice, definitely interested. I have some Deutsche plugs arriving soon and I have the crimper and always have tons of Anderson plugs lying around. When the Deutsche pligs arrive I will
Make up a couple of Deutsche to Anderson
Adaptors and probably a deutsche to cig plug adapter to plug my existing led light strips
Etc into for my awning

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Absolute bureaucracy gone mad. You can tow 3.5T with an "s" value of 350kg but you need separate type approval to fit a bike rack. :poop:

Reactions: PBD

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Re The locking nuts, they are far longer than the normal nuts and I believe they are intended for aloy wheels only. They just do not look or feel right for a steel wheel when I examined them and stick out "proud" a long way past the bolt heads when fitted. They look fine mounted on aloy wheels.
Whilst on the wheel subject, they steel wheel nuts look to be quite shallow also, leaving quite a lot of thread exposed when mounted. I have another photo so what do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_6088.jpeg
    IMG_6088.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 81

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Re The locking nuts, they are far longer than the normal nuts and I believe they are intended for aloy wheels only. They just do not look or feel right for a steel wheel when I examined them and stick out "proud" a long way past the bolt heads when fitted. They look fine mounted on aloy wheels.
Whilst on the wheel subject, they steel wheel nuts look to be quite shallow also, leaving quite a lot of thread exposed when mounted. I have another photo so what do you guys think?
Another image off the IA site
You could use longer nuts , or cap them I guess

INEOS-Grenadier-Expedition-1.0-0183 (1).jpg

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here are images and specs of both female (installed) and male (attach to the trailers/caravans cable) plugs in the INEOS Grenadier in Australia (it appears to be the same globally). Images and specs from Connector-Tech ALS' website.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 11.22.32.png
NATO female spec.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-20 11.22.37.png
NATO male spec.jpg

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
or you could put 10mm spacers on, fill out the wheel arches & give the car a wider stance
FWIW...I'd check with the State Transport Regs... such spacers may be illegal... Spacers can increase the (shear?) loading on the wheel studs because of the spacer gap between the flange and body of the wheel. I (reluctantly) used spacers (10mm) on a camper trailer to accommodate electric brakes... which is where I came across the Dept. Motor Transport references to their use on cars.

Also, I seem to remember some engineering advice back in the long dim past where it was good practice to have several "excess" threads clear of the fastener once it had been tightened to spec. I'm sure there are others better versed in these matters who maybe able to clarify...;)

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@TheDocAUS
Thanks for clarifying the NATO plugs...(y)
Has your research indicated how the pins might best be crimped to the cable? Given the diameter of cable required for several hundred amps I'd have thought that a hydraulic crimper might be needed to ensure proper compression.
Any thoughts?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also, I seem to remember some engineering advice back in the long dim past where it was good practise to have several "excess" threads clear of the fastener once it had been tightened to spec. I'm sure there are others better versed in these matters who maybe able to clarify...;)
And it is a good practice to use a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts to the manufacturer’s recommendations. In Australia, earlier model GU Patrols had a recommended torque settings of 90 foot pounds, until some wheels came off and that was changed to 120 foot pounds.

I always carry my torque wrench to remote locations and check the wheel nuts regularly after those endless corrugations.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has your research indicated how the pins might best be crimped to the cable? Given the diameter of cable required for several hundred amps I'd have thought that a hydraulic crimper might be needed to ensure proper compression.
Any thoughts?
I hope to get the NATO>Anderson adapter from Connector-Tech ALS (or someone else) and they will do it properly, with a hydraulic crimper. One of my crimpers may be able to apply enough pressure, but that is not my preferred choice.

I can buy the NATO plug, the wire and the crimper or just buy it. I have been asked to test a prototype adapter, with any luck I can use it, even happy to pay for it.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It is not appropriate to say to much on the NATO>Anderson adapter’s development. But from what I have been told so far (including an update about 15 minutes ago), they are working through the technical issues, a number of which we have not even considered.

EDIT: The NATO>Anderson adapter under development will be hydraulically crimped at both ends, in accordance with the recommended standards for NATO and Anderson plugs respectively. This has been confirmed. On the Anderson side, the standard requires correct wire selection, blade size, housing, maximum crimp barrel dimensions, maximum blade angle distortion after crimping, resistance testing and the force required to pull the wire out of the crimped blade.

They are looking at various options to downside the wire size from the NATO plug to the 50 amp Anderson plug.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's interesting to contrast with old Defenders and the option for the heavy duty steel (sometimes called Wolf) wheels. There the debate was about whether the standard hub studs were actually long enough and whether enough threads protruded through the wheel nut or not:

IMG_7175.JPG

The issue was not helped by Land Rover having longer wheel studs, apparently fitted with the heavy duty wheels in the past but then not fitting them in more recent years.

I might be wrong, but I had in my mind that all the wheel nuts for both steel and alloy on the Grenadier were closed caps?

I think the go to company for replacement Land Rover wheel nuts has always been these guys:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Absolute bureaucracy gone mad. You can tow 3.5T with an "s" value of 350kg but you need separate type approval to fit a bike rack. :poop:
I'd be interested in knowing anything more about this as I've not heard it before and my agent suggested the issue was just the initial supply was for the lower S rating of 250kg and soon swapped out for the higher 350kg rated items.

Back
Top Bottom