The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

National Flag Plaque option

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
There is an option to place a plaque of the U.S, Flag on the right side of the vehicle (if you don't have the raised air intake).  It has the canton or union on the viewer's left.  The ROW doesn't understand our obsession with flag etiquette, but how many people think Ineos got it wrong?  The military services always show the flag patch on the right arm with the union going forward as if blowing in the wind. or to the viewer's right.  Since this is a moving vehicle; uses the military name "Grenadier"; and flag etiquette dictates a U.S. flag be place on a pole on the right side of a vehicle, the flag on the Grenadier should be reversed with the union going forward.  Thoughts, Comments?  Cool option though.

renli3d

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Lars said:
There is an option to place a plaque of the U.S, Flag on the right side of the vehicle (if you don't have the raised air intake).  It has the canton or union on the viewer's left.  The ROW doesn't understand our obsession with flag etiquette, but how many people think Ineos got it wrong?  The military services always show the flag patch on the right arm with the union going forward as if blowing in the wind. or to the viewer's right.  Since this is a moving vehicle; uses the military name "Grenadier"; and flag etiquette dictates a U.S. flag be place on a pole on the right side of a vehicle, the flag on the Grenadier should be reversed with the union going forward.  Thoughts, Comments?  Cool option though.

Indeed, the flag should be reversed.  Currently, it looks like the flag is retreating. 

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
Of course Ineos could just be saving you from a backlash... Screenshot_20220814_143956.jpg

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
There is an option to place a plaque of the U.S, Flag on the right side of the vehicle (if you don't have the raised air intake). It has the canton or union on the viewer's left. The ROW doesn't understand our obsession with flag etiquette, but how many people think Ineos got it wrong? The military services always show the flag patch on the right arm with the union going forward as if blowing in the wind. or to the viewer's right. Since this is a moving vehicle; uses the military name "Grenadier"; and flag etiquette dictates a U.S. flag be place on a pole on the right side of a vehicle, the flag on the Grenadier should be reversed with the union going forward. Thoughts, Comments? Cool option though.
Yes, Ineos got this wrong. The union should be in the upper right corner for the flag on the vehicle's passenger side (such that it appears that the flag is being carried forward). The current layout will look very wrong to anyone who has served, and it will matter to many veterans.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:46 PM
Reaction score
Indeed, the flag should be reversed. Currently, it looks like the flag is retreating.
It looks like a plastic flag glued to the side of a car. It isn't retreating if you are going in reverse. Based on your theory you would have to change it if you are going forwards or backwards.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thats some lateral thinking right there DaveB!

Perhaps Ineos can link the flags James Bond DB5 style so they flip around depending on gear stick selection!!!

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
It looks like a plastic flag glued to the side of a car. It isn't retreating if you are going in reverse. Based on your theory you would have to change it if you are going forwards or backwards.

"The flag should be displayed with the stars in the upper left-hand corner, with an important exception. A flag displayed on the passenger side of a vehicle should show the stars at the upper right-hand corner. Isn't that backward? It is, but the reason is that the field of stars (sometimes called the "union") should always be in the highest position of honor. On a vehicle that moves, that would be closest to the front, as shown in the photo above." Source: Car & Driver

I understand that you are just 'taking the piss' - but for many Americans - and for veterans in particular - 'flag etiquette' matters. Whether it should, or shouldn't, is a whole different discussion. As a veteran myself, I find that discussion interesting, but not relevant on a car forum.

But if Ineos wants to participate in this AO, they will have to get it right or face a backlash. I am hoping that the Grenaider is successful in the U.S. - so I am hoping that Ineos makes a minor adjustment to the plaque.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I get your view stickshifter. Here in the UK if I see a Union flag flying upside down it narks me. Guess same with yours flying the wrong way. Quite subjective though unless it's "your flag". For instance I'm not sure if those in the UK had the Union Flag flying in the direction of travel it wouldn't look half odd though technically correct. Strange, having sailed all my life I'd never really thought of it. Your flag, your choice

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
"The flag should be displayed with the stars in the upper left-hand corner, with an important exception. A flag displayed on the passenger side of a vehicle should show the stars at the upper right-hand corner. Isn't that backward? It is, but the reason is that the field of stars (sometimes called the "union") should always be in the highest position of honor. On a vehicle that moves, that would be closest to the front, as shown in the photo above." Source: Car & Driver

I understand that you are just 'taking the piss' - but for many Americans - and for veterans in particular - 'flag etiquette' matters. Whether it should, or shouldn't, is a whole different discussion. As a veteran myself, I find that discussion interesting, but not relevant on a car forum.

But if Ineos wants to participate in this AO, they will have to get it right or face a backlash. I am hoping that the Grenaider is successful in the U.S. - so I am hoping that Ineos makes a minor adjustment to the plaque.
Yes I do apologise, I was taking the piss. I am glad you took it well.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I do apologise, I was taking the piss. I am glad you took it well.
Ahhh, no need for an apology. I believe that people can hold whatever views they want on topics like this - its the beauty of living in a free society! I just wanted to point out that what - to some - might seem silly, can matter enormously to others. Attachment to symbols gets magnified in combat (for better and for worse) - and that attachment is often not well-understood by the general public. Failure to hear someone else's perspective just leads to conflict, so thanks for hearing my perspective and not taking offense (certainly none was intended).

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ahhh, no need for an apology. I believe that people can hold whatever views they want on topics like this - its the beauty of living in a free society! I just wanted to point out that what - to some - might seem silly, can matter enormously to others. Attachment to symbols gets magnified in combat (for better and for worse) - and that attachment is often not well-understood by the general public. Failure to hear someone else's perspective just leads to conflict, so thanks for hearing my perspective and not taking offense (certainly none was intended).
My son is a Sargent in the Australian army, my father was a Korean War Veteran and my Grandfather a WW1 veteran. I understand.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
My son is a Sargent in the Australian army, my father was a Korean War Veteran and my Grandfather a WW1 veteran. I understand.
That's a lot of service in one family. My family is much the same. Best wishes to your son - duty first!

jwb

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
I'm a fellow veteran and agree the U.S. flag should be reversed when on the right side. It would bother me and I'll plan to skip this accesory option, but I like the idea and hope it works for other countries.

Jeep got it correct on the over-priced Grand Waggoner, but there's still enough Americans that are not savvy on flag etiquette that Jeep made a video. Commercial airplanes and ships also follow this flag placement on their right sides.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Nicely done.

Deleted User Account.

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I'm a fellow veteran and agree the U.S. flag should be reversed when on the right side. It would bother me and I'll plan to skip this accesory option, but I like the idea and hope it works for other countries.

Jeep got it correct on the over-priced Grand Waggoner, but there's still enough Americans that are not savvy on flag etiquette that Jeep made a video. Commercial airplanes and ships also follow this flag placement on their right sides.

Nice video by jeep. I served in the U.S.M.C. and will be skipping this option if it isn't addressed.

Reactions: jwb

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

A well-made video. The only thing missing is Lee Greenwood's anthem in the background.

Reactions: jwb

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

So is the current configurator correct? Stars are at the upper right hand corner:

Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 12.15.35 PM.png

bitteroot77

Reservation Holder
Local time
3:46 AM
Reaction score
There is an option to place a plaque of the U.S, Flag on the right side of the vehicle (if you don't have the raised air intake). It has the canton or union on the viewer's left. The ROW doesn't understand our obsession with flag etiquette, but how many people think Ineos got it wrong? The military services always show the flag patch on the right arm with the union going forward as if blowing in the wind. or to the viewer's right. Since this is a moving vehicle; uses the military name "Grenadier"; and flag etiquette dictates a U.S. flag be place on a pole on the right side of a vehicle, the flag on the Grenadier should be reversed with the union going forward. Thoughts, Comments? Cool option though.
Face the wind. Always forward!

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did a little google research and found this. It seems like Ineos has it correct.

Back
Top Bottom