The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

My Test Drive Today In Aufenau

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:55 PM
Reaction score
I was in Aufenau today and test drove the Grenadier. As is well known, it is an off road site with a well 250 meter long (274 meters) gravel straight (close to red line).

Screenshot_20221012_192726.jpg

There were five vehicles on site. One on display for viewing, Metallic Red. Three vehicles on the course, Magic Mushroom, Shale Blue and Donny Grey. One vehicle was reserved for photo ops today, Scottish White.

We had the best weather, sunshine at about 17 degrees. There was coffee + cake, as well as beef sausage with bread and potato soup and hand cheese. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly people around. It was a bit like a family meeting.

So much for the outer frame.

The Donny Grey version was almost exactly to my specification: Diesel, difflocks, AT tires, ladder, etc. Only the leather seats were missing, it had the fabric seats.

My slot was at 11:20. I got to drive the Shale Blue colored Diesel Grenadier.

The instructor was "Kurt" from South Tyrol, a great guy. He gave instructions where to drive, put in the center lock every now and then for demonstration purposes (it all would have gone without the lock), let me drive very steep slopes and tight turns.

It was impressive. This vehicle handles as easily as a fairground scooter. Steering, brakes, throttle, everything is just light and smooth too. You don't feel for a moment that you are moving three tons (we were with four people in the vehicle).

It's no problem at all to stop and start again on a steep slope. The Grenadier accelerates at will without any effort, no matter how steep it was today. For such a big vehicle the turning circle feels small on the left and right - but is in fact around 13.5 meters. On the straight stretch, I was able to accelerate hard, and it's just collossally impressive what power the engine unleashes and how it propels the car forward. I am thrilled.

Whether going steeply uphill, with or without a curve, downhill or straight ahead, it was all completely playful - for the Grenadier as well as for me as the driver. Great.

My son had a second slot with my wife and me riding in the back seat. This time I was able to experience everything as a passenger. Compared to my G, it's a night and day difference, the vehicle is just a few generations more modern. Suspension and damping are excellent, and off-road bumps are ironed out amazingly well.

Very little noise in the car. Except when you accelerate hard you will hear the Diesel - just as it should be.

So much for the driving experience.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I want to share the following information which I have received today. I asked if I could post this on the forum, and that's ok - however, the people involved would like to stay in the background.
  • there will be a price increase of a bit over 10 percent.
  • those who have already ordered or will order within the next two weeks or so will not be affected.
  • oil dipstick: the gasoline engine does not have one, but the diesel does.
  • regarding the dipstick in the B57, I was shown a document that says: "The dipstick in the B57 must not be used to measure the oil level". It did not say why this is so. I simply have this text.
  • inverter: it is true that this was initially in the configurator and as well in the brochure (maybe not in every country). This option has been removed (Ineos rep). It could be that this will be added in a few months, but then it would be chargeable.
  • all this information is still subject to change (except the price increase which is confirmed).

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Miscellaneous:

The engine is of course equipped with lots of cables, wires and aggregates. Surprisingly, however, there is a lot of free space in the front area between the engine and the radiator. You can easily reach the drive belts and probably change them.

The rear seat mounts are still dual, so it's easy to mount the seat further forward or further back. However, since this is a PTO2, we'll have to wait and see if that will be the case with the final versions.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
Excellent update. Tks emax. Always nice to hear generally positive experiences from forum members 👍

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
I'll post some pictures in the next few days, I probably won't make it today.
Really great, emax. Many thanks for the super detailed report, which to be honest I would have expected from you in this form. You get a lot of praise for that!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well I'm obviously insulated from any prices increases, at least for this model, but I'd much rather the prices went up than value engineering brought the quality down.

Ineos' own accounts show how sensitive they are, financially, to margin reductions ~ 1% equalling €85 million.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well I'm obviously insulated from any prices increases, at least for this model, but I'd much rather the prices went up than value engineering brought the quality down.

Ineos' own accounts show how sensitive they are, financially, to margin reductions ~ 1% equalling €85 million.
I don't think the quality suffers because of that. INEOS could not afford that. Then the damage would be much bigger.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I would be happy to see my revenues go down by €85 million if that was 1%.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Margin ~ revenue test was a 10% decrease in forecast volumes would be an impairment of €189 million.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
If I got this right, it'd still be a nice to have problem.

At least for a one-man-band like me.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
I was in Aufenau today and test drove the Grenadier. As is well known, it is an off road site with a well 250 meter long (274 meters) gravel straight (close to red line).

View attachment 7794662

There were five vehicles on site. One on display for viewing, Metallic Red. Three vehicles on the course, Magic Mushroom, Shale Blue and Donny Grey. One vehicle was reserved for photo ops today, Scottish White.

We had the best weather, sunshine at about 17 degrees. There was coffee + cake, as well as beef sausage with bread and potato soup and hand cheese. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly people around. It was a bit like a family meeting.

The Donny Grey version was almost exactly to my specification: Diesel, difflocks, AT tires, ladder, etc. Only the leather seats were missing, it had the cloth seats.

The instructor was "Kurt" from South Tyrol, a great guy. He gave instructions where to drive, put in the center lock every now and then for demonstration purposes (it all would have gone without the lock), let me drive very steep slopes and tight turns.

It was impressive. This vehicle handles as easily as a fairground scooter. Steering, brakes, throttle, everything is just light and smooth too. You don't feel for a moment that you are moving three tons (we were with four people in the vehicle).

It's no problem at all to stop and start again on a steep slope. The Grenadier accelerates at will without any effort, no matter how steep it was today. For such a big vehicle the turning circle feels small on the left and right - but is in fact around 13.5 meters. On the straight stretch, I was able to accelerate hard, and it's just collossally impressive what power the engine unleashes and how it propels the car forward. I am thrilled.

Whether going steeply uphill, with or without a curve, downhill or straight ahead, it was all completely playful - for the Grenadier as well as for me as the driver. Great.

My son had a second slot with my wife and me riding in the back seat. This time I was able to experience everything as a passenger. Compared to my G, it's a night and day difference, the vehicle is just a few generations more modern. Suspension and damping are excellent, and off-road bumps are ironed out amazingly well.

Very little noise in the car. Except when you accelerate hard you will hear the Diesel - just as it should be.

Lucky man. I am pleased that it was so good for you and you enjoyed it.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7794662

The Donny Grey version was almost exactly to my specification: Diesel, difflocks, AT tires, ladder, etc. Only the leather seats were missing, it had the cloth seats.

Does your son also have a reservation for a Grenadier?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you, Dave.

It really was a great day. Everything was fine, no traffic jams, fantastic weather, great car, nice event, and together with my wife and my son. (y)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Does your son also have a reservation for a Grenadier?
No, he hasn't. He has a Series 3 BMW.

But after my wife was a little intimidated of the off road track, she let my son use the slot.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No, he hasn't. He has a Series 3 BMW.

But after my wife was a little intimidated of the off road track, she let my son use the slot.
Well, at least you have the same engines. Nearly the same.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, his car is a Diesel, but it's a four cyclinder. Still a great engine, economical but still powerful.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, my wife’s BMWs haven’t had a dipstick for a few models. I was told that drivers don’t check them and when they do, they misread them. Ugh. I’ve watched a bunch of videos on the B57 engine, and I’ve made my piece with it. Seems like a stable, mature platform- and far better than a homegrown alternative that they would have tried to knit together.

Were any of the models ‘production’ ones? At least with production parts?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
What do you mean with 'production' ones?

As PTOs they are all more or less production ones. But they were no 'final' versions, AFAIK.

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I want to share the following information which I have received today. I asked if I could post this on the forum, and that's ok - however, the people involved would like to stay in the background.
  • there will be a price increase of a bit over 10 percent.
  • those who have already ordered or will order within the next two weeks or so will not be affected.
  • oil dipstick: the gasoline engine does not have one, but the diesel does.
  • regarding the dipstick in the B57, I was shown a document that says: "The dipstick in the B57 must not be used to measure the oil level". It did not say why this is so. I simply have this text.
  • inverter: it is true that this was initially in the configurator and as well in the brochure (maybe not in every country). This option has been removed (Ineos rep). It could be that this will be added in a few months, but then it would be chargeable.
  • all this information is still subject to change (except the price increase which is confirmed).
Thanks for the update!
I understand that the price increase does not affect order from the past. Good news for any early backer ;)

Back
Top Bottom