The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Look what I found for sale (automotive edition)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
So after inadvertently putting up a few vehicles that made me think wow, thats crazy they're asking that much.

I thought its high time for the 'Look what I found for sale (automotive edition)" thread.

Post links out to interesting vehicles that you found for sale, are surprised at or are astounded at the asking price.

Theres no space for the mundane so any submissions with a thumbs down will be unceremoniously deleted.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I'll start with the OG Fiat panda 4x4 of your 1980's dreams.

You know it's special when this awaits you. all I can say is wow.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 10.18.19 AM.jpg

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
I followed this one in February. It’s a pitty that I don’t know enough about importing cars from the USA to Europe.
It’s a beautiful car and I hope the new owner has lots of fun with it!

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 9.20.22 PM.png
Just spotted this on the Nürburgring 2023

Not for sale, at least I don't think so, but what on earth is this thing? Also thats a pretty cool shower trailer there.

Looks like it will be a bit chilly on the way home

Greasemonkey

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thats a DKW Munga. Used by the Bundeswehr, Police, Red Cross, THW etc. in the sixties and seventies, before the Bundeswehr went to the G-Wagon .

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
It has a two-stroke engine, three cylinders with 1000 cc. Very simple and reliable.

But be aware of fuel burn ...

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The four Audi rings on the radiator grille date from the founding of the "Auto-Union," which included DKW, Audi, Horch and Wanderer. One ring for each member. Later, the "Neckarsulmer Motorenwerke", NSU, joined the Auto-Union and finally they merged to Audi AG.

Incidentally, the name "Audi" is the imperative form of the Latin verb "audere" - to listen, in German "horchen". So the German name "Horch" is the same word as the imperative of the verb "horchen" == "horch!" and translates to "audi!" in Latin.

Legend has it that August Horch came up with the idea for the name "Audi" from the son of a business partner which was a Latin pupil.

The Munga above was a DKW car and as a member of the Auto Union in that time it shows the four rings. DKW doesn't exist any more as an own brand.

Last edited:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score

I suppose its an option...

Reactions: PBD

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score
Looks nice - and I love those wheels. I know they're just regular old LR ones, but I've always liked them. I'm a 5-spoke fan.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DKW was the winner of a tender to which DKW, Porsche and Goliath, a subsidiary of Borgward, were invited to present a light off-road vehicle of the kind of the original version of the Willys GP (Jeep). Porsche presented Typ 597 Jadwagen but, after the order was awarded to DKW, it was only allowed to build 50 examples of the Typ 597...

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:03 PM
Reaction score
DKW was the winner of a tender to which DKW, Porsche and Goliath, a subsidiary of Borgward, were invited to present a light off-road vehicle of the kind of the original version of the Willys GP (Jeep). Porsche presented Typ 597 Jadwagen but, after the order was awarded to DKW, it was only allowed to build 50 examples of the Typ 597...
Did any of these vehicles carry on the torsion bar arrangement from the Kübelwagen, or was that an evolutionary dead-end?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know whether the military versions inherited the torsion bar (in Germany we call it "Torsionsfeder" - "torsion spring"). But it was by no means a dead-end: The "Käfer" (aka "Beetle") had a torsion suspension for many years (until 1979, I believe), so millions of Käfer models were (and still are) equipped with torsion bars (springs).

I'm not sure about younger Käfer series.

The Kübelwagen is btw based on the Käfer, it's the same concept and as well almost the same design and build. The Volkswagen T1 and T2, I believe) had as well the same chassis, front axle, gear and motor concept and design.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't know whether the military versions inherited the torsion bar (in Germany we call it "Torsionsfeder" - "torsion spring"). But it was by no means a dead-end: The "Käfer" (aka "Beetle") had a torsion suspension for many years (until 1979, I believe), so millions of Käfer models were (and still are) equipped with torsion bars (springs).

I'm not sure about younger Käfer series.

The Kübelwagen is btw based on the Käfer, it's the same concept and as well almost the same design and build. The Volkswagen T1 and T2, I believe) had as well the same chassis, front axle, gear and motor concept and design.
Oh yes, of course. 911 etc had a longitudinal torsion arrangement... something to google on the weekend.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My 964 turbo (thirty three years old) had already coil springs...

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I like this Porsche Diesel 111, definitely designed to go off-road. ☺️

View attachment 7813253
My understanding is that old man Porsche designed the tractor's auto transmission so farmers in muddy boots wouldn't have to faff around with clutch pedals and floppy gear shifters.
Walter Rohrl owns one. He is partial to the old school Porsches. Hates the Taycan!

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score

For the G wagon cross shoppers.

That interior looks great.

Back
Top Bottom