The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Leather steering wheel

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference between the leather used for the standard steering wheel and the saddle leather one ?? I like the reddish brown colour but not sure if I can justify the £600+ Price tag
Thanks

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:02 PM
Reaction score
The "saddle" leather pack covers 3 items - steering wheel, handbrake and passenger and grab handle.
Saddle leather is very high quality leather only from cowhide. It is smooth but not soft, very thick, is aniline dyed and is a full grain leather containing no or minimal markings and imperfections. All this usually means that it will last a very long time.

On the other hand, Nappa leather can be the hide from other animals and although it can be of high quality, it is softer and typically not as thick and not as hard wearing as saddle leather. Nappa leather is used for car seats.

Is it worth the extra - maybe/probably. On a steering wheel, the nappa leather will wear much quicker than saddle.

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply 👍 that makes the decision easier,I tend to keep a car for 10+ years and there is nothing more annoying than a worn patch on the steering wheel.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply 👍 that makes the decision easier,I tend to keep a car for 10+ years and there is nothing more annoying than a worn patch on the steering wheel.
You won't regret it.
You will activate this option on each drive!
As the old saying goes , the quality remains long after the price is forgotten :giggle:

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I like the visual contrast but above all the high quality and the patina that the steering wheel surely develops over time.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score
I really like the look of the saddle leather. And I do like the idea of having something special/unique in my car. I would love the patina after some time where other materials will only look used and worn off.
But on the other side I would never have spend a thought in equipping a black inner trim with some brown parts in the past.
So for me the saddle leather is beautiful on its own and I will love to see it in a car.
But definitely not in my one…

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:02 PM
Reaction score
So even the briefest of Google of aniline leather brings up:

"The drawbacks of aniline leather are that it marks easily. It readily absorbs liquids and the dye can fade over time."

"Aniline Leather is very difficult to maintain and just about anything including water can cause a stain on this type of leather. As it has no protective finish any dirt or dust forms on the surface and then moves deeper into the leather."

"Poor light fastness"

Go figure...

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s called patina 😀

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:02 PM
Reaction score
I've noticed the Nappa leather steering wheels fitted these days are SUPER soft from the factory, and go hard and shiny after no time.

I wonder whether the saddle leather will be more resilient texture wise?

Ive gone nappa in mine purely for the cost saving

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've noticed the Nappa leather steering wheels fitted these days are SUPER soft from the factory, and go hard and shiny after no time.

I wonder whether the saddle leather will be more resilient texture wise?

Ive gone nappa in mine purely for the cost saving
I guess it will be the same with the saddle leather. It’s just thicker and more durable

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
Patina of a saddle leather wallet from brand new on the left to well used on the right.
So if you choose the saddle leather option be aware it will relatively quickly change colour in places.
Particularly is you are one of those sweaty handed people or not big on hand washing.

1661102095922.png

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Ask the professionals:

"Sattelleder hat eine gewachste Oberfläche, hat einen angenehmen warmen und wachsartigen Griff und zeigt schon nach kurzer Zeit sichtbare Gebrauchsspuren und Patina - dieser Effekt ist jedoch gewünscht und verleiht diesem Leder sein einzigartiges Aussehen. Kenner schätzen diese Eigenschaften."

For you:

"Saddle leather has a waxed surface, has a pleasantly warm and waxy feel and shows visible signs of wear and patina after a short time - however, this effect is desired and gives this leather its unique appearance. Connoisseurs appreciate these qualities."

Source.

Edited to keep on topic. Stu.

Last edited by a moderator:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Patina of a saddle leather wallet from brand new on the left to well used on the right.
So if you choose the saddle leather option be aware it will relatively quickly change colour in places.
Particularly is you are one of those sweaty handed people or not big on hand washing.

View attachment 7792394
I looked for a good example as well and chose the same picture a second ago 😄

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Them cowboys/girls saddles last a looong time out there in the elements .
But they don't mind a bit of dirt and dust. they are utilitarian folk!
I mean , you'd never ever use a nappa leather saddle , except maybe at the dentists or hairdressers I suppose.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My sister has a horse farm, using saddle leather products for almost 50 years.

I can vouch that her saddle leather equine products look better (and great) after a year or so of use.

She told me high quality leathers can last + 15 years (all used outside in the sun, the wet and the Aussie dust & dirt) but, the key is to clean the leather regularly with saddle soap, condition the leather a few times a year and never store the leather wet.

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I must admit I had dismissed the saddle leather option as a gimmick but learning from this conversation I think I'm sold on it being a good option.

Thanks sharing your insights!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
....and if the saddle leather covering your steering is somehow destroyed (and unlikely not because of hands on wear) after a few years then, you get it replaced with the leather of your choice by a reputable auto trimmer of which there are many in every large city!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom