The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Interesting marketing approach

Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
I haven’t checked but I wonder if they get the transmission and engine already mated from BMW
Maybe they have to take what BMW has already tested combination
That's a good thought, but it looks like the B58 gas engine is in the BMW 5 series (F30), and that car comes with the 8HP75, so it does not appear that the B58 must be paired with the 8HP51. Sorry if that sounded convoluted...

Local time
Reaction score
If IA is reading I'd also vote for the higher torque rated transmission for the NA market.
Yeah - I don't know if the B58 can be mated to the 8HP76 (which comes with the B57 in the Grenadier), but it sure looks like the B58 is being mated with the 8HP75 in other vehicles, and the 8HP75 is a much stouter transmission than the 8HP51 (which is what we get with the gasser in the Grenadier). So I vote with you!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The best answer I've seen to this question:
The first three gears in the 8HP51 are lower versus the 8HP76: 5.25 vs 5.0 for 1st gear; 3.36 vs 3.2 for 2nd gear; and 2.17 vs 2.14 for 3rd gear. Perhaps they chose the 8HP51 in order to improve the acceleration of the petrol version, since it generates less torque than the diesel.

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
There are many variants of the ZF 8-speed automatic transmission. The Grenadier gets two different versions - depending on which engine you are running.

The gas (petrol) version, or B58 engine, is paired with the ZF 8HP51
The diesel version, or B57 engine, is paired with the ZF 8HP76
In the broad sense, yes, all ZF8s. But the petrol and diesel have different ZF8 variants.

Thanks I did not realize that!

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
I agree with your overall sentiment, but to me, knowing that the top speed is 100 mph just isn't relevant, as I don't think it is really an indication of on-road performance. I will never drive a vehicle like the Grenadier at 100 mph, and knowing what the top speed is doesn't tell me how well it does things that do matter to me, like (1) how does it handle on winding roads and taking corners? (I'm not looking for sports car performance, or even for SUV performance, but I'd like something better than my old Jeep JK Rubicon), (2) how does it accelerate from 20 to 65? (coming off an on-ramp merging with highway traffic), (3) how does it accelerate from 65 to 80 while driving uphill at 10,000 feet above sea level? (in order to safely pass a freight truck on a mountain pass), or (4) how does it accelerate from 3 to 30 while going up a very steep grade through a series of hairpin switchbacks?

I own a 100 Series Land Cruiser (also a 200 Series one as well) and compared engine HP and Torque to the Grenadier. The Grenadier has 52 more horse power and 12 more torque than the 100 series. The 100 series is fast (and powerful) enough for me when carrying 4 adults and a full cargo (up to top of headrests). I do not know if it is faster than a Tacoma but it never made me feel it was lacking power. My answer to your questions above (with respect to my 100 Series Land Cruiser)- it has plenty of pep and power for all of that you are asking however, I am expecting the Grenadier to have a bit less performance due to it outweighing the 100 Land Cruiser by about 885 pounds. But perhaps gear ratios will make up for the difference in weight.

Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
I own a 100 Series Land Cruiser (also a 200 Series one as well) and compared engine HP and Torque to the Grenadier. The Grenadier has 52 more horse power and 12 more torque than the 100 series. The 100 series is fast (and powerful) enough for me when carrying 4 adults and a full cargo (up to top of headrests). I do not know if it is faster than a Tacoma but it never made me feel it was lacking power. My answer to your questions above (with respect to my 100 Series Land Cruiser)- it has plenty of pep and power for all of that you are asking however, I am expecting the Grenadier to have a bit less performance due to it outweighing the 100 Land Cruiser by about 885 pounds. But perhaps gear ratios will make up for the difference in weight.
Driving in the southeast (flat) I would tend to agree - however if you load up a 100, tow, or at altitude it is not a ‘powerful’ vehicle. Not just Denver > Eisenhower tunnel, but driving around NC carrying a motorcycle on a hitch carrier the 100 is under powered, especially with 33” tires. (I have both a 4 speed and 5 speed, the additional gear helps, but not worth the awful nav system). But power/weight is not that far off.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The key 'deliverable' that I can see IA putting together here is a rather capable vehicle, that meets most current standards in particular emissions, that you can drive off the show room floor and not have to do anything mechanically to have a fully functioning overlander. With a few $ on 'accessories' you could probably hit a round Australia trip and take a few divergent paths on the way through... well that's my plan anyway!!! Any comparison to tow trucks is irrelevant, any comparison to 'tricked up' sports 4x4 is simply not worth mentioning. I look at it like this, what will $107K AUD buy in this market, stock new from the show room, that will be as modern, capable, value for money etc etc - there really isn't anything (not in Australia anyway).

As to how IA is marketing... it is certainly better than there manufacturing and delivery communication!!! If they put 20% of their 'marketing' efforts into the QA of the production line (programmers maybe!), we would probably see a few more Grens in owners' hand right now!!!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You will be surprised - what I have found is that modern engines seem to delivery their power more efficiently... my old 3.0L TD single cab Ranger was relatively light, but I have new generation 2.0L TTD and even though pwr/wgt ratios were very similar, the new Ranger FLOGGED the old in 0-100 by about 2 seconds... and it was able to tow far better, 40% more efficient etc etc etc. I just think technology and clever mechanicals make these perceived problems less so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom