The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Interesting marketing approach

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:11 AM
Reaction score
Yes, of course you are correct: no one is forced to purchase a Grenadier, and Ineos must operate as a for-profit business. But read the comments in response to Grenadier videos on YouTube, and most Americans are expressing similar concerns to those I have expressed here. I think most Americans who have followed the development of the Grenadier have a lot of respect for what Sir Jim is attempting, and we are excited that a vehicle we have long-wanted is finally coming to our shores. American 4x4 enthusiasts have long-bemoaned the departure of the old Defender in 1997, and the 70-series Landcruiser in 1987. Those who have followed the Grenadier closely, also understand that it was Sir Jim's goal to build a vehicle for global overland travel, where the key requirements are durability, payload, and traction on rough roads and/or moderate tracks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these goals, and - in fact - this is what the majority of overlanders want (whether they are European, Australian, or American). However, there is some divergence in use-requirements between the “global market” (Europe and Australia), and the American market. These are my observations:

Most people in Europe and Australia who are shopping for a rugged 4x4 vehicle, are interested in overlanding - which I will define as adventure travel by vehicle, in which durability, payload, and traction are the key criteria.

A lot of people in America who are shopping for a rugged 4x4 vehicle, want the same thing that Europeans & Australians want (a durable vehicle, with good payload, and good traction).

(1) Here is where I see the first diversion between the global market and the American market: Americans seem to have different ideas about what level of power is appropriate for an overland vehicle. I think this is particularly true in the Mountain West, where our highways run over high passes, speed limits range from 65 to 85 mph, there are a lot of freight trucks on the road, and an under-powered vehicle feels unsafe (or just tedious).

(2) A second diversion between the global market and American market is that many Americans go "sport off-roading" (for want of a better term). By this I mean driving really hard trails just to see if they can. They build up their off-road rigs with 35, 37, or 40-inch tires, and test their vehicles and driving skill on very technical terrain. I think a lot of "overlanders" look down on "off-roading" because it involves using a vehicle for sport, and this is seen as a waste of natural resources, and as a source of unnecessary air, noise, or water pollution. In contrast, "overlanders" use a vehicle to travel to somewhere beautiful, or remote, or to access the back-country for recreation (climbing, hiking, camping, skiing, hunting, fishing, etc.). Overlanders often regard their use as more ethical than off-roading. Under careful scrutiny, I'm not sure if the distinction holds up, but I understand the argument.

(3) There is also cross-over between the overland and off-road community in America. This is especially true where trails to access recreation are technical. As the Mountain West has gotten more crowded, more and more people are using vehicles to travel hard technical trails in the hope of finding some solitude. This may be related to another difference in culture: I think that many Europeans are used to their mountains being crowded, while Americans are not. I have climbed extensively in the French, Swiss, and Julian Alps, and the climbing routes are packed; wild camping is often forbidden, and the mountain huts are booked solid. Many Americans in the Mountain West have an expectation of solitude when they head out into the mountains, but this has been changing quickly. Many of us are trying to cope by driving deeper into the back-country before starting our recreation. For example, I never go “off-roading”, but I have run 35-inch tires on multiple vehicles in order to access remote trails for climbing, camping, hunting, etc.

Summary: Americans who have followed the development of the Grenadier understand that the vehicle is intended for overlanding. We don’t think that there is anything wrong with that, but we are really trying to figure out if it will also be suitable for some of the things we may value that the global overland community does not, such as those I mentioned above: adequate power for highway driving at elevation, and adaptability to technical terrain. With respect to these two criteria, these are the concerns that I and many other Americans have expressed:

(1) The Grenadier does not have a great power-to-weight ratio; the gas-powered Grenadier is almost as heavy as the gas-powered (7.3 liter, single rear wheel, 4x4, regular cab) Ford F250 SuperDuty – which is a gigantic truck – but the Grenadier makes just 65% of the HP, and 69% of the torque that the big Ford makes. And while the vehicles are close in weight, the 7.3 Ford has a payload of 3,500 pounds (nearly double that of the Grenadier) and can tow 28,000 pounds (almost 4 times that of the Grenadier). On the surface, there seems to be no reason to ever compare the two vehicles, until you look at the fact that they are nearly the same weight. Lastly, there isn’t much room for tuning the B58, since the ZF transmission paired with the gas engine is the 8HP51, which has a max torque capacity of 369 lb. ft.

(2) There isn’t an “off-road” package from the manufacturer (larger tires & re-geared axles) and we don’t know yet how easy it will be to modify the Grenadier on our own (lots of technical discussions of this elsewhere).

If the gas engine came with the 8HP76 (as does the diesel), and if there were an “off-road” package from Ineos, I think many Americans would feel like the American market was important to Ineos. I’ve become frustrated at waiting to see if the Grenadier can be what I want it to be, and I recognize that this is my problem, not anyone else’s. At this point, I just want to know if I am best served taking my business elsewhere, or if I should continue to wait.

This is the last time I’ll post on these topics, as I am sure it is tedious for members of the forum. My apologies for beating a dead horse. Time to move along.
I wouldn’t be worried about power, the Super duty is designed to carry and pull more than the Grenadier. I have driven the diesel version and it is very lively. As for rock crawling etc, yes many of us would have liked a factory 35” wheel option but it will go most “non sport” places most of us will go offorad with 32” or 33” and no doubt people will build lift kits to get more clearance and 35” tyres under them in time.

Local time
5:11 PM
Reaction score
With respect to "America versus the Rest of the World" and the Grenadier, I've read the top markets (selling or targeted) for the Grenadier include:

UK
Germany
Australia
China

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not seeing a lot of similarities between driving around in the UK vs Australia.

And who among us has their finger on the pulse of the consumer market for "tough, Utility Vehicles" in China ? Enough to characterize it as, like the "Rest of the World" ?

As I see it, it's going to work for some people, wherever they live.. Yes, some features will be more useful and popular in some markets than others but it's such a diverse world I can't see it as an "us vs them" product.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
With respect to "America versus the Rest of the World" and the Grenadier, I've read the top markets (selling or targeted) for the Grenadier include:

UK
Germany
Australia
China

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not seeing a lot of similarities between driving around in the UK vs Australia.

And who among us has their finger on the pulse of the consumer market for "tough, Utility Vehicles" in China ? Enough to characterize it as, like the "Rest of the World" ?

As I see it, it's going to work for some people, wherever they live.. Yes, some features will be more useful and popular in some markets than others but it's such a diverse world I can't see it as an "us vs them" product.
Well the Chinese have to buy a few of them so they can get the copies right…….

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a good point. Along those lines, I wonder about Ineos' ability to handle recalls. Ford's release of the Bronco was massively delayed by disruptions to their supply chain. In response, they sought out a new manufacturer of engine valves. This - unintentionally - resulted in a bad batch of 2.7 liter Ecoboost engines (previously, the 2.7 Ecoboost had been pretty much bullet-proof). Ford replaced every failed engine with a brand new one for free (as they should have). Similarly, the Bronco was delivered with a crappy hard top (you have the option of a soft top or a hard top with the Bronco). Ford replaced every single hard top it sold (under warranty) with a brand new redesigned hard top from a different supplier. No manufacturer is perfect, but how they take responsibility for their mistakes is what separates the good from the bad. These are the things you don't know about a new company.
I am hoping they won’t have recalls.
BMW engine so good support there
ZF Gearbox so good support there
Brembo brakes so good support
Recaro seats so good
Carrara axles so
etc
etc
etc

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

UK
Germany
Australia
China

China is the mall crawyler market.
UK love Defender original for farms and green laning.
Australia loves all the old style 4WDS

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

UK
Germany
Australia
China

UK vs OZ in many situations are similar...dairy cattle...soggy paddocks...cold harsh highlands...coastal swamps...to name a few...some Chinese people want to be like the Europeans...it is a product that suits you whatever the reason...happy motoring

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:11 PM
Reaction score
UK vs OZ in many situations are similar...dairy cattle...soggy paddocks...cold harsh highlands...coastal swamps...to name a few...some Chinese people want to be like the Europeans...it is a product that suits you whatever the reason...happy motoring
The UK market is going to be very towing centric. We don't have big super duty trucks to pull work trailers or caravans with. We're limited to towing 3.5 ton with vehicles weighing up to 3.5 ton laden.

At the moment the Range Rover/discovery and higher output pickups are the choice. The Grenadier will slot in amongst the best tow vehicles on offer for UK customers, that's where the sales will be. The adventure and lifestyle segment won't be quite as big, but still there.

Greenlaning over here is for the most part limited to 20 year old cheap vehicles that are heavily modified. There's the odd exception, but nobody will be buying the grenadier for UK Greenlaning. They'll he buying it for "overland" trips on the continent and further afield, with the odd UK weekend trip sprinkled in

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The UK market is going to be very towing centric. We don't have big super duty trucks to pull work trailers or caravans with. We're limited to towing 3.5 ton with vehicles weighing up to 3.5 ton laden.

At the moment the Range Rover/discovery and higher output pickups are the choice. The Grenadier will slot in amongst the best tow vehicles on offer for UK customers, that's where the sales will be. The adventure and lifestyle segment won't be quite as big, but still there.

Greenlaning over here is for the most part limited to 20 year old cheap vehicles that are heavily modified. There's the odd exception, but nobody will be buying the grenadier for UK Greenlaning. They'll he buying it for "overland" trips on the continent and further afield, with the odd UK weekend trip sprinkled in
Agreed. Spot on 👍🏼

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The bit that bugs me is the tarmac stuff - or rather lack of it. All this mud plugging is great and comforting, but mine ( and I guess most of the rest of yours) will be spending a considerable amount of the mileage on the black stuff.
No videos of that that I've seen and until they start issuing demonstrators (January here, I'm told) we've no idea how good it is where it'll be spending most of its rubber.
Bit frustrating.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:11 PM
Reaction score
@Hicarus the majority of potential customers assume that travelling / driving on road is matter of course. - So take it as "given".
Ineos distinguishes itself as an off roader. So that is what is different to rest of vehicles. That is what is required to show and to market.

As an offroader - and on All Terrain Tyres it is of course less comfortable - and less speedy as the typical SUV class (or more road cars do be true)
So on road - it will always loose because of fewer gadgets, lower top speed, less comfort etc..
To what shall it be compared? There (at least in Europe) only a few other real multi role / multipurpose vehicles on the market.
So to what ..
"New Defender" Don't make me laugh,
The Jeep Wrangler 4Door (maybe)
G Wagon - (only vehicle that is directly comparable)
Ford Bronco.. also rather a maybe .. because it is positioned to compete with Jeep Wrangler.
Both may have in certain trails its capability. But that's more as elsewhere written a typical US fashion where climbing and driving on the rocks is a kind of sports.

None of this demand is really drawing my attention. - What I have to do - is driving in agricultural and forestry, construction areas, Trailer towing only if I have to move an high hide or collect game after driven hunt, perhaps helping some friends that move location and put some of their inventory from one place to the other. If at all I carry a rear carrier basket on the ball.. like this one.

790901_01_P_WE_8_Gehetec_Wildtr_ger_Deep_210_mit_Schnellverschluss_jpg_200x200.jpg
To me it is more important to go on grass, mud, any unpaved road, over fallen tree branches, forestal paths w/o gravel or any traction aid. - maneuverability, adaptability, versatility and ruggedness - is what counts for me.

100 mph is sufficent, the BFs will probably replaced later by some more quiet type AT's I am more than happy my General Grabber AT3, get me through all current ground, relatively quiet, and fuel wise economic and durable. The on road capability will be sufficient. I expect some cross wind effect on vehicle and perhaps wind noise.
So what. The marketing approach of Ineos is ok, it addresses what the vehicle is intended for. I expect it as sufficiently road capable to manage any day to day operations.
There will be some issues in small parking lots, more maneuvering space required. However that will rarely the purpose.. for that we have another vehicle.. So there is no such thing as "one car fits all"

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Considering I’ve yet to even see a Grenadier, my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. Based on what I‘ve read and seen on video, the IG seems to be a jack of all trades that may not be the best in any one category, but extremely capable in all.

If I was looking to climb boulders, I’d build a Jeep (probably a Bronco if I’m honest).
If I wanted to tow a house, I’d buy a Super Duty diesel.
If I wanted to conquer the pavement (in a non-car), I’d buy a RR Sport or M-spec BMW.
If I needed to haul tons of stuff, I’d buy a van.

So, having said that, I think the Gren can check many of those boxes in the ”almost as good” while offering ”good enough” in ALL of those categories.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hm, @Krabby - I see this perhaps too much from a (Central- European view. ..
The infrastructure and population density in central Europe is much higher, also "Wilderness" is almost extinct. Looking at France, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland and Austria.. going Off the road - is usally not permitted.. there is no such thing as public lands - even if it is public owned - means it belongs to some government office that regulates it. So they permit if you are permitted access with a vehicle (it may happen that a person may access it by foot only) in some cases even bicycle or horseback is forbidden - but as usual "it depends".
To me I ve got some permit because I ve got a legitimate "reason" (hunting in a specific area ) to drive offroad. - However I might be liable for any damage by driving - so when I go there I must be cautious to nature. And its restricted to a specific area. I can also issue access permit to others if they operate on my behalf. E.g guest hunters.
I expect a sufficently capable in all expected areas of demand - so I did check marks like you did.
Rock climbing was not on my list - neither hauling tons of stuff. But what I saw in the videos and the test drive was sufficient to convince me for an order. Met expectation.
It is however something of the old continent.. So in some topics different than US.
In my case it will be different than any vehicle I had before. - All cars I owned previously were small volume engines most less than 2 litre, max 2.3, all 4 piston.. this will be the first 6 piston ever, and also the largest in any dimension. Need to get used to it.

Local time
Reaction score
@Hicarus the majority of potential customers assume that travelling / driving on road is matter of course. - So take it as "given".
Ineos distinguishes itself as an off roader. So that is what is different to rest of vehicles. That is what is required to show and to market.

As an offroader - and on All Terrain Tyres it is of course less comfortable - and less speedy as the typical SUV class (or more road cars do be true)
So on road - it will always loose because of fewer gadgets, lower top speed, less comfort etc..
To what shall it be compared? There (at least in Europe) only a few other real multi role / multipurpose vehicles on the market.
So to what ..
"New Defender" Don't make me laugh,
The Jeep Wrangler 4Door (maybe)
G Wagon - (only vehicle that is directly comparable)
Ford Bronco.. also rather a maybe .. because it is positioned to compete with Jeep Wrangler.
Both may have in certain trails its capability. But that's more as elsewhere written a typical US fashion where climbing and driving on the rocks is a kind of sports.

None of this demand is really drawing my attention. - What I have to do - is driving in agricultural and forestry, construction areas, Trailer towing only if I have to move an high hide or collect game after driven hunt, perhaps helping some friends that move location and put some of their inventory from one place to the other. If at all I carry a rear carrier basket on the ball.. like this one.

View attachment 7798821
To me it is more important to go on grass, mud, any unpaved road, over fallen tree branches, forestal paths w/o gravel or any traction aid. - maneuverability, adaptability, versatility and ruggedness - is what counts for me.

100 mph is sufficent, the BFs will probably replaced later by some more quiet type AT's I am more than happy my General Grabber AT3, get me through all current ground, relatively quiet, and fuel wise economic and durable. The on road capability will be sufficient. I expect some cross wind effect on vehicle and perhaps wind noise.
So what. The marketing approach of Ineos is ok, it addresses what the vehicle is intended for. I expect it as sufficiently road capable to manage any day to day operations.
There will be some issues in small parking lots, more maneuvering space required. However that will rarely the purpose.. for that we have another vehicle.. So there is no such thing as "one car fits all"
I agree with your overall sentiment, but to me, knowing that the top speed is 100 mph just isn't relevant, as I don't think it is really an indication of on-road performance. I will never drive a vehicle like the Grenadier at 100 mph, and knowing what the top speed is doesn't tell me how well it does things that do matter to me, like (1) how does it handle on winding roads and taking corners? (I'm not looking for sports car performance, or even for SUV performance, but I'd like something better than my old Jeep JK Rubicon), (2) how does it accelerate from 20 to 65? (coming off an on-ramp merging with highway traffic), (3) how does it accelerate from 65 to 80 while driving uphill at 10,000 feet above sea level? (in order to safely pass a freight truck on a mountain pass), or (4) how does it accelerate from 3 to 30 while going up a very steep grade through a series of hairpin switchbacks?

I regularly encounter all these driving scenarios, and I am laser-focused on ensuring that my next vehicle can handle these situations well (in addition to having off-road chops, decent payload, etc.). Again - I'm not looking for sports car performance - I just want something that is better on-road than a Jeep or a Tacoma. My current vehicle is a 2017 Tacoma, which I bought thinking it would be a decent all-purpose vehicle for me. I bought it to replace an aging Jeep JK and an Audi S4 that was starting to require regular post-warranty maintenance; in addition, I was tired of having two specialized vehicles - I wanted one that could be more of an "all-around" vehicle. Lastly, the Tacoma was just about my only choice because I wanted a manual transmission (at the time, that was a non-negotiable criteria). Sadly, my commitment to the manual gearbox left me with a vehicle that lacks low-end torque, and while the Tacoma runs great (for a truck) through the corners on winding canyon roads (especially after a suspension upgrade), I have not been happy with it in all the acceleration examples I listed above. I find it a chore to drive under these conditions. I used to drive 3-4 hours through the mountains in the Audi and feel fresh at the end, but the same drive in the Tacoma and I'm exhausted (its not loud or bumpy, its just a lack of low-end power).

So that's where I'm coming from when I talk about on-road performance. I understand that other folk may not be looking for the same driving dynamics in a rugged solid-axle off-roader - we've all got different end-uses in mind!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s interesting that you mention the size and power. Granted we don’t really have ”old” narrow passages here, my last several vehicles have all had no less than 350 HP and we’re full-size American pickups. I’m lucky in that I don’t have to drive in the city, but the Gren will be the smallest WB and overall size vehicle I‘ve used as a DD in over a decade. But, as has been noted frequently here, the US automotive landscape varies substantially from Europe.

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with your overall sentiment, but to me, knowing that the top speed is 100 mph just isn't relevant, as I don't think it is really an indication of on-road performance. I will never drive a vehicle like the Grenadier at 100 mph, and knowing what the top speed is doesn't tell me how well it does things that do matter to me, like (1) how does it handle on winding roads and taking corners? (I'm not looking for sports car performance, or even for SUV performance, but I'd like something better than my old Jeep JK Rubicon), (2) how does it accelerate from 20 to 65? (coming off an on-ramp merging with highway traffic), (3) how does it accelerate from 65 to 80 while driving uphill at 10,000 feet above sea level? (in order to safely pass a freight truck on a mountain pass), or (4) how does it accelerate from 3 to 30 while going up a very steep grade through a series of hairpin switchbacks?

I regularly encounter all these driving scenarios, and I am laser-focused on ensuring that my next vehicle can handle these situations well (in addition to having off-road chops, decent payload, etc.). Again - I'm not looking for sports car performance - I just want something that is better on-road than a Jeep or a Tacoma. My current vehicle is a 2017 Tacoma, which I bought thinking it would be a decent all-purpose vehicle for me. I bought it to replace an aging Jeep JK and an Audi S4 that was starting to require regular post-warranty maintenance; in addition, I was tired of having two specialized vehicles - I wanted one that could be more of an "all-around" vehicle. Lastly, the Tacoma was just about my only choice because I wanted a manual transmission (at the time, that was a non-negotiable criteria). Sadly, my commitment to the manual gearbox left me with a vehicle that lacks low-end torque, and while the Tacoma runs great (for a truck) through the corners on winding canyon roads (especially after a suspension upgrade), I have not been happy with it in all the acceleration examples I listed above. I find it a chore to drive under these conditions. I used to drive 3-4 hours through the mountains in the Audi and feel fresh at the end, but the same drive in the Tacoma and I'm exhausted (its not loud or bumpy, its just a lack of low-end power).

So that's where I'm coming from when I talk about on-road performance. I understand that other folk may not be looking for the same driving dynamics in a rugged solid-axle off-roader - we've all got different end-uses in mind!
Until you try all these scenarios out for yourself, it's just a waiting game for demonstrations. Easy for me to sit here after driving the vehicle at numerous base camps to say, it's fantastic, you'll love it.

Personally when I first read the spec of the vehicle i.e engine and gearbox, I was sold. Then going through the rest of the components only enhanced that thought, after driving it my thoughts where justified and 100% correct. Truthfully though and like a lot of people on here I would have happily bought without driving or even seeing it in the flesh.

I do understand though that everyone is different and have different thoughts and needs out of a vehicle, hopefully you'll feel the same once you get behind the wheel. (y)

Local time
Reaction score
It’s interesting that you mention the size and power. Granted we don’t really have ”old” narrow passages here, my last several vehicles have all had no less than 350 HP and we’re full-size American pickups. I’m lucky in that I don’t have to drive in the city, but the Gren will be the smallest WB and overall size vehicle I‘ve used as a DD in over a decade. But, as has been noted frequently here, the US automotive landscape varies substantially from Europe.
The difference in vehicle-size between North America and Europe is just crazy. I live in a rural area, and the most common vehicle on the road is the heavy duty pickup truck (Ford F-250, Ram 2500). These make a 200-series Landcruiser look small. We spent most of last summer in Slovenia; the Slovene military uses the 200-series Landcruiser, and these were the largest vehicles on the road by far, and they looked huge.

Haying the cows after snow - rural Colorado this morning:

IMG_1471.jpg

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
First time I rented a car in the UK it was a Fiat Punto. I had to strap my backpack into the rear seat with the seatbelt on because it wouldn’t fit in the cargo area. Looked like another passenger in the back.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Krabby fully understood. During my time in Ireland I was a frequent customer at Hertz in Dublin Airport. Rented a vehicle every week - in the beginning I had small Toyota or Seat.. wtf I put my stuff in.. as they learned to know my driving practice in driving on the left.. the cars I got increased in size - up to Jeep Grand Cherokee. (There were a few C roads where such a car was almost required. Decent space. But yes in Europe we go lots smaller on the road. - If you go southern Europe, Italy or Spain .. they re even significant smaller.. - things like this Piaggio Ape still built an used.. and of course scooters as the famous Vespa are more common. With an US full size Pickup or a Chevy SubUrban passing through certain Italian or Spanish villages or towns may become a challenge.. - in Barcelona Gothic Quarter there are tiny streets .. or Greek Isle Rhodos town of Lindos there are streets even a Piaggio Ape just fits with side mirrors folded. Seen this summer.
I do not even think of going there with an IG. - That is on foot only. (perhaps bicycle if not to many tourists strolling along)
The towns exist already some 1000 perhaps 2000 years plus - and roads were designed for pedestrians or horse & cart.

Back
Top Bottom