The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Ineos in race to buy Manchester United

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:58 AM
Reaction score

Manchester United: Sir Jim Ratcliffe's company Ineos formally joins process to buy club​

Sir Jim Ratcliffe
Sir Jim Ratcliffe is Britain's richest man, according to Forbes

British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe's firm Ineos has officially entered the race to buy Manchester United.
United's owners the Glazer family said in November that they were considering selling the club as they "explore strategic alternatives".
An Ineos spokesperson "We have formally put ourselves into the process."

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not a MUFC club supporter. I just don't understand why all my family support a Lancashire team, when Leeds is more appropriate. :) However, I hope Ineos do buy the club, as he is a supporter and will have the English game at heart.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score

Manchester United: Sir Jim Ratcliffe's company Ineos formally joins process to buy club​

He is free to do with his money what he likes to do with it. Doing the same with my Grenadier, even my partner doesn't understand why I buy such an expensive car as the Grenadier.

Only difference: the Grenadier for me isn't an investment, it is "fun".
I would like Sir Jim to spend some money on less commercial sports, like Judo (my sport), ROI = almost 0. (ROI = Return On Investment).

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
He is free to do with his money what he likes to do with it. Doing the same with my Grenadier, even my partner doesn't understand why I buy such an expensive car as the Grenadier.

Only difference: the Grenadier for me isn't an investment, it is "fun".
I would like Sir Jim to spend some money on less commercial sports, like Judo (my sport), ROI = almost 0. (ROI = Return On Investment).
I did Japanese Jiu Jitsu many years ago, alongside karate, hapkido and some Aikido.
I have never done any judo though

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
That's why I quit
Too much sharing of sweat and bad breath.
Particularly in summer in Queensland
At least they are partially clothed. Unlike Greco-Roman wrestling. And we won't google Turkish oil wrestling will we? It would be too off topic unless we mentioned corrosion protection.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Or enforcing the contract but liveried in red. 😉

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I often prefer coach potatoing.

Or whatever you call it.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hm just my 2ct. Ineos and Ratcliffe can do what he likes with his money.. I never liked "professional sports" Never football / soccer , F1, Basketball, Tennis, whatever.
One small exception was Golf, I played a bit during my time in Ireland / Athlone and Roscommon. But at the end.. no time, schedule a flight, playing 3.5 hours on a crowded course. Then a 2 lads with a Testarossa on a par 3 needing almost 20 Minutes to finish. Just money doesn't make you a proper Golf player. During University I did Aikido, Kendo & Iaido Muzojeekiden Aishin Ryu - but serious - nothing most people concern. - Finally I got in to sports shooting, service pistol, PP1, NPA, and occasionally trap / skeet and 300 /800 /1000m but nothing that attracts sponsors and its of course not woke at all.
The only way a Football club can make money beyond sponsors, is attract fans, selling licenses for TV and streaming, merchandise.. so only to get the spare money people have. The spare money is getting less and less however. I wonder what kind of advantage sees Sir Jim there.. Perhaps just an expensive toy.. but better this instead of another super yacht or an island like Epstein's (who shall rest in pieces)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sir Jim's bid apparently through to the 2nd round:

"Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani and Sir Jim Ratcliffe have been told that they have made it through to the next stage of the process.to buy Manchester United.

At least one more unnamed bidder has also made it through to the next stage, which will see all parties meet the Raine Group later this month at Old Trafford before being given access to detailed financial information which would allow them to make firm offers.

Sheikh Jassim and Ratcliffe want to buy Manchester United, while others are interested in a minority stake."

You have to wonder if all this has a negative effect upon the Grenadier, as it pulls his attention away and he delegates more and more.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sir Jim's bid apparently through to the 2nd round:

"Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani and Sir Jim Ratcliffe have been told that they have made it through to the next stage of the process.to buy Manchester United.

At least one more unnamed bidder has also made it through to the next stage, which will see all parties meet the Raine Group later this month at Old Trafford before being given access to detailed financial information which would allow them to make firm offers.

Sheikh Jassim and Ratcliffe want to buy Manchester United, while others are interested in a minority stake."

You have to wonder if all this has a negative effect upon the Grenadier, as it pulls his attention away and he delegates more and more.
I don't think he would have been involved regularly in the Grenadier project for quite some time
Maybe monthly updates as part of his briefing on all of his companies.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think he would have been involved regularly in the Grenadier project for quite some time
Maybe monthly updates as part of his briefing on all of his companies.
He flew up to Scotland with some of the journalists, spent a day driving with them, and wined and dined them in the evening.

I seriously doubt, up to now, it's been just another monthly update.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
He flew up to Scotland with some of the journalists, spent a day driving with them, and wined and dined them in the evening.

I seriously doubt, up to now, it's been just another monthly update.
I am sure it is an interest but really.....................he is a busy man
Ineos is a giant in the petro-chemical world, employing over 25,000 people in 36 businesses across 184 sites in 31 countries. In recent years, Ratcliffe has thrown his money and time behind numerous sporting codes and events including the Ineos Grenadiers professional cycling team, New Zealand’s all-conquering All Blacks rugby union team and, of course, the Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team.
Ratcliffe is also a keen runner and Ineos was behind marathon world record holder Eliud Kipchoge’s successful attempt to break the two-hour barrier in the marathon distance in 2019. As a marathon runner myself, it was at this event in Vienna that I briefly met Sir Jim Ratcliffe, and his passion for ideas outside of the box was immediately apparent. While Ineos has been accused of sport-washing its primary business, Ratcliffe is passionately involved in many social and, indeed, environmental causes. One such example was the company’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic, when it established six production facilities (each in under 10 days) to make and bottle hand sanitiser. Millions of bottles of sanitiser were then supplied free of charge to hospitals around the world.

Back
Top Bottom