The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Importing question

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score
I “think” and I use that term loosely that the Grenadier is designated as an ag vehicle or recreation vehicle in the US, right? Would this allow the vehicle to be imported? I really really really want a diesel and would consider doing whatever I needed to get one to Texas.

D

Deleted member 9045924

I’m not sure what you mean by “ag vehicle” but Ineos has plans to sell the petrol (gas) engine version of the Grenadier in the US market. The Grenadier is an automobile, and it will be classified like any other foreign manufactured automobile. Ineos has spent a lot of money and time preparing for import and sale in the US market and the BMW diesel will not meet current regulations. Importing a euro-spec model will likely be impossible because of strict emissions and other regulations.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
I really really really want a diesel and would consider doing whatever I needed to get one to Texas.
Speak to:

Wallace Environmental Testing Laboratories
2140 Wirtcrest Ln
Houston, TX 77055
Rep: Les Weaver
Phone: (713) 956-7705
Fax: (713) 956-0104
Email: sales@wallacelab.com

They can modify, test, and certify the vehicle so that it meets the relevant emissions standards.

Let us know how long they want to achieve it and what they estimate it will cost you...

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:36 PM
Reaction score
A group application would probably lower the cost.

Pcmalueg

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Speak to:

Wallace Environmental Testing Laboratories
2140 Wirtcrest Ln
Houston, TX 77055
Rep: Les Weaver
Phone: (713) 956-7705
Fax: (713) 956-0104
Email: sales@wallacelab.com

They can modify, test, and certify the vehicle so that it meets the relevant emissions standards.

Let us know how long they want to achieve it and what they estimate it will cost you...
Merry Christmas Flying Texan,

Just read your diesel comments from 2022 but did you have any success with determining the cost of importing a diesel Grenadier and then getting it passed for use in the USA?

Thanks

Paul

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Just read your diesel comments from 2022 but did you have any success with determining the cost of importing a diesel Grenadier and then getting it passed for use in the USA?

Thanks

Paul
DCPU no longer participates here so you may need to look elsewhere for that information.

That said, I cannot imagine it would be a cheap experience, and even if the cost was not an issue, the EPA might be a difficult sell.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Thanks

Paul
I never went down that road. However I don’t understand why INEOS isn’t doing it. If they’re not scared to bring the truck here they shouldn’t be worried about certifying a diesel.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DCPU no longer participates here so you may need to look elsewhere for that information.

That said, I cannot imagine it would be a cheap experience, and even if the cost was not an issue, the EPA might be a difficult sell.
At least he shared a „thumb up“
yesterday at one post. So he thankfully is alive. Don’t know whether he will come back as an active member but I hope he is alright.

[ Adam ]

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I never went down that road. However I don’t understand why INEOS isn’t doing it. If they’re not scared to bring the truck here they shouldn’t be worried about certifying a diesel.
BMW certified the motors, not Ineos. BMW would not agree to keep the engines certified for ten years in North America, so Ineos opted not to use the motors.

Local time
Reaction score
Speaking of importing, in the early days Ineos said they would be starting a european delivery program for Americans (pay for the vehicle, pick it up in Europe and drive it around then drop off to a European Ineos designated spot and the vehicle will be shipped back to you c/o a dealer in the USA). I bought two volvo V70 wagons this way (one a V70R) and it worked the charm, and was ~$3000 k cheaper all in, including insurance in Europe and shipping to the USA.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
At least he shared a „thumb up“
yesterday at one post. So he thankfully is alive. Don’t know whether he will come back as an active member but I hope he is alright.
Also noticed a thumbs up to a post of mine of Dec 15th.
Would _really_ appreciate him back with us! Content of highest level in his posts, definitely missing nowadays.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t think the latest $1.6B Cummings scandal and and related disastrous NOX tailpipe pollution issues are going to help convince the federal government to allow unsanctioned diesels into the country.

It’s just becoming too expensive to build and maintain engines that manage pollution effectively without giving up performance.

I’m not against diesel at all, my last vehicle had a 6.6 L diesel in it, with all the latest controls from GM, which was amazing for towing, but I think it’s just becoming too much of a liability for manufacturers distributing in the United States.

Personally, I’m happy to go back to petrol. I was always dreading a clogged up diesel particulate filter.

Last edited:

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Many years ago, the United States settled on a different emissions standard than the EU. Our fuel is formulated differently, and what combustion elements are regulated are different, based on US needs.
It is horrendously expensive for a company to develop two different motors one for the European market, and one for the US market, where diesel sales historically are very small.
Since we have cheap fuel, there has never been much of a market incentive to bring diesels into the United States.

The closest thing similar to what the OP is asking that I am familiar with is being done by Mahindra, for their jeep clone.

Back
Top Bottom