The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas IG Parts Made in China

Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2lJxGDtxIw

Guys watch this video. Apparently, the sidestep is made in China and it's already rusted after not even a year. So I suspect that the rockslider is made in China as well. I'm thinking of removing that option and buy one that is is made in US.
There is nothing wrong with the factory side steps or rock sliders, the tracks in Australia are stoney, and some times even gibber stones, and both would strip the paint of anything, the gibber stones smash shock absorbers in Australia, so we attach guards to the shock absorbers and sometimes they still get smashed. I have checked the side steps and rock sliders sitting around at the dealer, they are made out of heavy gauge tubing with excellent welds. the rock sliders I have had from ARB and TJM in the past are made of lighter gauge steel and I have bent both types many times, I don't think I will be able to bend the Ineos Grenadier factory side steps or rock sliders if I try.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
Ineos specify the type of steel for both sliders and steps.
If this isn't up to your standard , and China is the devil, buy elsewhere by all means!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:59 PM
Reaction score

Guys watch this video. Apparently, the sidestep is made in China and it's already rusted after not even a year. So I suspect that the rockslider is made in China as well. I'm thinking of removing that option and buy one that is is made in US.
Yes, unfortunately, I know. As soon as it rusts through, I replace it with a German product.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately, I know. As soon as it rusts through, I replace it with a German product.
Surface rust a concern? Or is German salt and acid rain that bad?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Surface rust a concern? Or is German salt and acid rain that bad?
For me, surface rust is not bad. In Germany, they spread a lot of salt. On my Defender, the siderunners rusted through quickly. I had them welded and then re-galvanised. Then it was perfect for years.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
For me, surface rust is not bad. In Germany, they spread a lot of salt. On my Defender, the siderunners rusted through quickly. I had them welded and then re-galvanised. Then it was perfect for years.
Probably used Chinese steel made from Australian iron ore.
Or recycled in India broken ship steel. Pre-rusted!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Click bait warning....he drove 5000km on rough gravel roads and "sandblasted" the powder coating off the rock slider... ... the surface chemistry of steel is independent of international boundaries.... :expose steel to air and it will rust be it Peking or Pennsylvania (or shock horror: Detroit!!!)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Click bait warning....he drove 5000km on rough gravel roads and "sandblasted" the powder coating off the rock slider... ... the surface chemistry of steel is independent of international boundaries.... :expose steel to air and it will rust be it Peking or Pennsylvania (or shock horror: Detroit!!!)
Just for reference: Grenadier :
Sliders : Powder-coated S355JR steel
Steps: Powder-coated S235JR Steel

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You might have to return your iPhone or Galaxy as well as (shock horror) they are made in China. I had to return my 2018 Mustang GT soon after purchase to have the cam phasers replaced as the engine rattled constantly, the front left wing reworked to remove a major paint flaw, the rear windscreen replaced as it was warped and a faulty steering wheel airbag cover replaced but I won't mention where that was made.

Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
Probably used Chinese steel made from Australian iron ore.
Or recycled in India broken ship steel. Pre-rusted!
You do realise the more times you recycle steel the better it gets, but I am sure you know that Tazzieman, and the comment is tongue in cheek, so this is for others who may not know.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
You do realise the more times you recycle steel the better it gets, but I am sure you know that Tazzieman, and the comment is tongue in cheek, so this is for others who may not know.
Someone will mention 1970s Alfas and Russia - and get the facts wrong ;)

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
(RoW warning, I'm going to speak specifically about products in the US)

Here's a shocking fact most don't think about... If you buy sliders from a US manufacturer (designed and built in the US) for any multitude of off road vehicles, there is a reason a lot of them only sell them in bare steel (or, offer no coating warranty); because when you use them off road (their intended purpose), you'll end up chipping off or damaging whatever outer coating you put on them (whether that is powder coat, rattle can, or bed liner), and at least once a year, you should lay under your truck and touch up those spots (a sheet of cardboard to protect the paintwork and a rattle can of black spray paint works great for this). Same for any steel you add under the vehicle (skid plates, diff guards, etc.).

Side steps are much the same (technically, they live a harder life if you take them off road as they sit even lower than a rock slider generally would). If you're doing thousands of miles (or km's) of gravel/dirt, it should be an expectation that the outer coating will get damaged, and will need periodic touch up.

As far as the actual strength and build quality of the Ineos side steps; they are robust. Will they bend? Absolutely, they aren't intended to take the weight of the vehicle. But they will endure much more than any other factory "side steps" I've seen from the other big-name off-roady SUV manufacturers

Local time
Reaction score
I have a lot of experience with imported steel. And it’s quality rises and falls. Additionally, there is great variance in the coatings, that are applied to automotive and industrial steel components.

It bothered me that the rub rails (straight from the factory) had their surface coatings worn off and were displaying raw metal after so few Miles on sandy terrain.

I have a Kawasaki mule made in China that has exactly the same problem, which I had to resolve by applying my own coating to the chassis to prevent rot through.

Every chassis part on that vehicle should have adequate protective surface coatings to prevent wear through during the warranty.

Back
Top Bottom