The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How will you build it?

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Ineos has teased a few of the features they are planning on releasing with the vehicle. A brief list from memory below; but how will you build yours? What are you hoping is “in the box” versus what do you suspect will be an option?

These are features I 100% know are available based on comments made in various videos; whether they will be in all markets may be another question:

- Front and Rear lockers
- Saddle Leather steering wheel and e-brake handle
- Heated Seats
- Bull Bard

Perhaps I remember those because I’ll be checking “yes please” to all of them. Any others?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
- Lockers front mid rear
- Removable sun roof passenger and driver side
- Smallest rims possible
- Heated / cooled seats
- As many auxiliary switches as possible on the upper control panel
- Winch
- Steel bumpers front rear
- Low profile roof rack
- Im in the Bush get me home engine control option, where it ignores all the 'lets eek out .05 mpg stop start, vvt, variable turbo gubbins' 

Oh, and an onboard obd2 reader integrated to the infotainment system. If I'm out in the sticks then I want to know how bad things are if the CEL comes on. I use a GAP Iid tool for the Land Rover, and this tool needs to have a bluetooth connection so you can interface with it via smartphone or tablet should the infotainment go down.

Not sure if any of these come to market but its good to hope.

dominicperry

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
ChasingOurTrunks said:
- Saddle Leather steering wheel and e-brake handle
Is it really an e-brake rather than a manual brake? I thought they'd changed it........
Certainly unhappy about an e-brake for an in-field fix. See - Disco 3 - it's a long, difficult, expensive job to fix and requires a new ECU.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, had some experience with sticking E-brakes. Not fun. I much prefer a cable. I'm sure I saw an interview where they specifically say the Grenadier will have a manual hand brake. 

The saddle leather looks great in my opinion.  Although I'm not so sure about the button placement on the steering wheel. 

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
dominicperry said:
Is it really an e-brake rather than a manual brake? I thought they'd changed it........
Certainly unhappy about an e-brake for an in-field fix. See - Disco 3 - it's a long, difficult, expensive job to fix and requires a new ECU.

This is 100% a communication error due to the Atlantic Ocean ?

Over here in Canada, "E-brake" is often the colloquial term for "Emergency Brake", not "Electronic Brake". The overwhelming majority of people use auto transmissions over here, and so they rarely need to use a "parking brake" because most folks just shift to "park" in the transmission and walk away. And so, over time, the "parking brake" has evolved into being regarded as a secondary, 'in case of emergencies' brake over here (even though I wouldn't use it for that).

So, I have no knowledge at all on how the Gren's e-brake/parking brake works - it might be a good old fashioned cable-and-shoes system, or it might be electronic. Given the design, I would bet it's the former.

Sorry for the confusion gents!

dominicperry

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
ChasingOurTrunks said:
This is 100% a communication error due to the Atlantic Ocean ?

Over here in Canada, "E-brake" is often the colloquial term for "Emergency Brake", not "Electronic Brake". The overwhelming majority of people use auto transmissions over here, and so they rarely need to use a "parking brake" because most folks just shift to "park" in the transmission and walk away. And so, over time, the "parking brake" has evolved into being regarded as a secondary, 'in case of emergencies' brake over here (even though I wouldn't use it for that).

So, I have no knowledge at all on how the Gren's e-brake/parking brake works - it might be a good old fashioned cable-and-shoes system, or it might be electronic. Given the design, I would bet it's the former.

Sorry for the confusion gents!

Ah, that's good and I've learnt something too. Thanks for the explanation.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
What I did see on the presentation was their diagram of the parking brake/hand brake/emergency brake system, and its a pair of cables to the rear brake assemblies from a handle in the cab by the transmission tunnel.

So thankfully we're back to the Mk 1 handbrake cable that stretches over time and has to be replaced every 5 years.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Now the open source maintenance manuals and parts list got me thinking.

Please Ineos, have that available in the onboard infotainment system. It's not hard, the file size may be large but it's not insurmountable. If you're really serious about people being able to fix this in the bush at least give them the technical literature to do it inside the vehicle. 

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
An evolution of that idea Stu - integrate it with a CarPlay-compatible smartphone app. Don’t load anything onto infotainment, just make the app work through CarPlay.

That way, it’s constantly updated with the most recent bits and pieces.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve been poking around to see what’s available. The contrast roof is nice (body colour, white, or black, depending on the colour). Other options are a raised air intake, steps, or sliders. There’s also a few window options - glass, flat panel, and “Gullwing” hatches, and the safari windows on the roof.

Overall I’m pretty thrilled - the rear window hatches especially are very useful for my application. I was also able to select the diesel which surprised me as I’d been told they didn’t plan to bring the diesel here, but 2023 is a long way off so things can change.  

PowerfulUSUltd

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:50 AM
Reaction score
@ChasingOurTrunks. That very closely matches my build. The only must have for me is the lockers, everything else I will wait for the pricing.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
PowerfulUSUltd said:
@ChasingOurTrunks. That very closely matches my build. The only must have for me is the lockers, everything else I will wait for the pricing.

I was torn between this light metallic blue and the deeper blue. Truthfully, the colour will be my son’s decision; he’s 18 months old right now but should be able to pick a colour when the time comes. I’m expecting blue - our house is full of books detailing the adventures of “the little blue truck” and his barnyard friends (Children’s book series). But he also has the Landy and Fender books so who knows!

As far as the accessories I’m awaiting pricing as well. But, what I’ve learned from my last two builds is that it’s getting harder and harder to put the time in to the build after purchase. Work, daily, etc. are all things that I need to put time and energy into, so that means less focussed time in the garage. My current rig took me two years to finish, and so that was two years we didn’t use it as much as we wanted. So for our next one, getting things like a bull bar, winch, aux switches, etc. from the factory is likely for me unless they are very pricey, just because of the time saved between owning the rig and using it for the reason I bought it.

d1rty

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
Is green with white roof too cliche?

Also, love the safari windows.  Very interested to see how the options prices play out.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
d1rty said:
Is green with white roof too cliche?

Also, love the safari windows.  Very interested to see how the options prices play out.

It looks fantastic in that combo. White steel rims would really round it out I think!

PowerfulUSUltd

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Any thoughts on side steps vs rock sliders? Depends on whether the main use will be rock crawling or overlanding? 

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I am in the rock slider camp. I feel the steps hang a bit too low. Ideally would want rock sliders which come out enough to be steps

PowerfulUSUltd

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I’m with you. Would rather like the sliders to stick out a bit. However, I take the easy line when I can so I think the convenience of the steps is hard to pass. We got 2 years for INEOS to figure it out.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Another one for wide sliders that can be used as a step for the roof. My current rig has steps and they are no longer straight.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
ChasingOurTrunks said:
It looks fantastic in that combo. White steel rims would really round it out I think!

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I am with you on the white steel rims but, with regard to the “Safari Windows”,  I would like to share my experience with the pop-up ‘moon roof’ panel on my Defender (which I think is similar). I live in a hot desert climate and, even though I have air conditioning, the sun can really start to broil me when it beams in through that overhead glass. And, when the vehicle is washed, the interior also gets a shower from water leaking past the 24 year old “seals” around the glass.

Back
Top Bottom