The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

How do we feel about sexist remarks on the forum ?

painter

Reservation Holder
Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
Is it just me that has noticed ? Seems like the occasional sexist comment are spreading a bit.

Personally, I can take it, but would rather leave it.

I'm just a visitor to this website but have spent enough time on here learning and enjoying that I think it's worth bringing the point up. I don't think there has been any malice intended in any posts or remarks. But I do think some remarks or "jokes" invoking women could cause offence to some without the writer realising it. So the less of it, probably the better.

I like the international flavour of this site and would like it to be a comfortable place for everyone, new and old.

Maybe I have it wrong, just saying ...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
Is it just me that has noticed ? Seems like the occasional sexist comment are spreading a bit.

I'm just a visitor to this website but have spent enough time on here learning and enjoying that I think it's worth bringing the point up. I don't think there has been any malice intended in any posts or remarks. But I do think some remarks or "jokes" invoking women could cause offence to some without the writer realising it. So the less of it, probably the better.

I like the international flavour of this site and would like it to be a comfortable place for everyone, new and old.

No I think you are correct and we should avoid sexist, racist or religious comments.
Probably should limit swearing as well.
And definitely don't mention the direction of the US flag.
While we don't want to go down the path of being all PC and overly censored we should be aware that our members can be from any background and may also be reading this with family members.

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
No I think you are correct and we should avoid sexist, racist or religious comments.
Probably should limit swearing as well.
And definitely don't mention the direction of the US flag.
While we don't want to go down the path of being all PC and overly censored we should be aware that our members can be from any background and may also be reading this with family members.
Yes all of that ...except for me!

painter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Agree, but have to laugh at a Canadian bringing it up.
Nicest people in the world and all. 😉😂
Actually the credit should go to another Canuck, ChasingourTrunks, who wrote touched on this earlier in another tread, but was too polite (nice ?) to go all PC show off about it 👮

So I'll be "that guy" this time 🤓

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
> But I do think some remarks or "jokes" invoking women could cause offence to some without the writer realising it.

I think that's part of the the highly praised internationality in this forum and that it is thus unlikely to allow us to find a boundary that is equally appropriate for all cultures.

So why shouldn't someone who doesn't think something is OK simply formulate that directly as a response?

A general ban on any kind of flippancy would otherwise hang like a sword of Damocles over everything that could even remotely affect the sensitivity of another. But that's exactly what you have to accept in an international forum: That there are other standards than one's own, be it downwards or upwards.

That's why I think it's better to show respect in general for a personally given answer of the one who is bothered by a contribution. I find that much better than a fundamental restriction a la taliban.

On such occasions, I usually also ask myself whether in what way someone has a problem with contributions which are questionable from his personal point of view, that he might eventually find primarily with himself.

By the way, I wonder who is actually left as a "suspect" if you subtract here all those who have responded so approvingly.

Please note that this is my general position, I am explicitly not pointing to some particular person.

The question was "How do we feel about sexist remarks on the forum ?"

And that's my answer.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
The sexist is typically compensating for something in their life, they just lack the self-awareness to recognize it.

This is a Grenadier forum - let's focus on the Grenadier.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Use the report button ~ draw it to the attention of the moderator. At the end of the day, it's only them that can moderate.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
Use the report button ~ draw it to the attention of the moderator. At the end of the day, it's only them that can moderate.
We can all self-moderate.
I have posted and replied to some questionable posts and accepted that I need to be more considerate to others and be a bit more careful on what I post.
There is no need for reporting and telling the teacher

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can see that we will not agree. Nothing new there ~ but the report function is a far more clear and concise way to cut through any "debate" on what is and what is not questionable ~ at least as far as the little fiefdom that is our forum.

Local time
Reaction score
I’m hardly “pc” as an Englishman in the US, and get weekly stink eye,side eye, silent treatment, verbal chastisement from my wife.
However there is the old saying….

Is it true.?
Is it necessary.?
Will it hurt (genuinely).?

If any of the above don’t say it.
Definitely too much verbiage on this forum creeping in, I’m beginning to bulk delete most of it which is a shame.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
Sooner or later someone puts political correctness, religious, racist, nationalism and politics on the table - all this can rip a forum apart. - My opinion "common sense".
As this forum is almost entirely male and in particular the "chuckle .. subforum" makes jokes -. and of course there are jokes using certain cliches. Bear it or leave it.
The forum is now mainly about the Grenadier but also Offroading and some context such as competitive products etc.
Also - the nature of the topic Offroading with a IG - brings me in a position of a person considered as
"directed backwards",
typically hetero male, operating a Big volume ICE vehicle and in possession of firearms, meat eater, caucasian type.. (and that is in Germany and elsewhere in EU) already a disobedient person.. perhaps politically right winged. (Not that I am - but because I may not share all mainstream fashion of ideas)

- So we all are already in a focus of being harassed not because of our attitude and rude / se**st language
but just because we do not follow mainstream, like going generally public transport, bicycle, perhaps if necessary a shared electric ride, eat vegan, organic cloth .. obey all vaxxing rules, glue ourselves on roads, and don't ask questions.

My spouse is like me - makes jokes on men, and gives a damn on PC. - Her attitude is I take you as you are if you take me as I am. There are limits.
No means no, your freedom ends where other freedom begins and as already published - use common sense.

I hope the majority of users use common sense - if something really bad occurs to use report. - However - if I have to think four times and need to consult a lawyer on every word I write.. - this is the end of free speech and hence a free internet.
Also persons who are here and consider purchasing / or ordered an IG should be aware.. that owning such a vehicle is already the very opposite of being political correct.

Back
Top Bottom