The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Highest altimeter reading.

Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
So I put in a little high altitude driving break in my new Grenadier. It was a great drive back from Red Noland in Colorado Springs back to Durango.

View attachment 7848550
View attachment 7848563

The first was going over Monarch Pass coming out of Salida this morning,
View attachment 7848541View attachment 7848542View attachment 7848543

Next spot Red Mountain Pass

View attachment 7848544View attachment 7848545

Then over Molas Pass

View attachment 7848546View attachment 7848547

The over Coal Bank Pass

View attachment 7848548View attachment 7848549
Wow. You've got big ones. I love US 50 but I hate Monarch Pass. Considering your recent blizzard out there...again wow. What tires do you run in winter? Last but not least, did you wave as you went by The Daily Bread in Montrose? Can't wait to get back to the western slope.

Last edited:

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
I gotta win the lowest altitude because my altimeter says I’m below sea level most of the time here in Florida. Dealer says the alternator works on barometric pressure so it doesn’t function correctly in Florida. This makes no sense to me, can this be true?
Got you beat with Badwater, California.

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:16 AM
Reaction score
Wow. You've got big ones. I love US 50 but I hate Monarch Pass. Considering your recent blizzard out there...again wow. What tires do you run in winter? Last but not least, did you wave as you went by The Daily Bread in Montrose? Can't wait to get back to the western slope.
I was on the BFG K02 with the Grenadier super nice to drive in the winter, very stable track well. It was snow all the way from Salida up to half way down the other side of Monarch Pass this trip. I really like driving the truck at Alititude plenty of power.

Note I ran over that pass two weeks before in my X5 40i x-drive which I run Michelin Climate 2 on my way to Crested Butte, but the pass was dry that day.

I really like drive on US50, now driven it in all the seasons. Look froward also taking the Grenadier over Wolf Creek Pass over to Creede and then Lake City and add three more pass that way via roadway, then take over from Lake City back to Silverton via one mountain passes.

Wyoman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
I agree on the high altitude engine performance of the Grenadier. I drove mine over Monarch pass and Wilkerson Pass and I always felt like there was power to spare. Compared to my previous 3.0L eco diesel (Jeep Grand Cherokee) the petro Grenadier felt equal or better driving over the pass. I think that the Grenadier out performs the on paper specs for hp and torque based on driving impression.

I miss the air suspension of the Grand Cherokee in sport mode that firmed the suspension and limited body roll. It made driving down mountain passes fun.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
Made a trip to Albany NY today. Along the way I crossed the highest elevation on Interstate 90 @ 1724 feet above sea level. On the west bound side my altimeter read 1638 feet. On the way back heading east it read 1644 feet.

Not a huge difference but assuming 1 story is roughly 10 feet then today my altimeter at this specific point is off by 8ish stories…

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:16 PM
Reaction score
Made a trip to Albany NY today. Along the way I crossed the highest elevation on Interstate 90 @ 1724 feet above sea level. On the west bound side my altimeter read 1638 feet. On the way back heading east it read 1644 feet.

Not a huge difference but assuming 1 story is roughly 10 feet then today my altimeter at this specific point is off by 8ish stories…
It also depends where the "Trig/ survey" point is actually located in the local area for the official measurement vs. where the sign is located. (for example: the Trig point might be 50-100 ft above the road on a nearby hill) All that aside, it indicates a roughly 5% discrepancy between your altimeter and the "official" altitude.
It's interesting that the discrepancy noted in earlier posts here, for vehicles registering altitudes greater than 10,000 ft is less than 1%!

Last edited:

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I should also taken a picture on Apple Watches Altimeter at this point so we had third reference. Next time I drive over one of the passes. I remember when my Grandpa had mechanical altimeter in the truck and go over a lot of these pass as kid. I few place I need go back with my family to see how some of the places have changed.

Last edited:

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was on the BFG K02 with the Grenadier super nice to drive in the winter, very stable track well. It was snow all the way from Salida up to half way down the other side of Monarch Pass this trip. I really like driving the truck at Alititude plenty of power.

Note I ran over that pass two weeks before in my X5 40i x-drive which I run Michelin Climate 2 on my way to Crested Butte, but the pass was dry that day.

I really like drive on US50, now driven it in all the seasons. Look froward also taking the Grenadier over Wolf Creek Pass over to Creede and then Lake City and add three more pass that way via roadway, then take over from Lake City back to Silverton via one mountain passes.

Stop by during the summer, I think I know a place no one will beat us for record high readying. I am building my cabin along the Animas off 550 2.5 miles south of Silverton. I will be around a lot working at Ravens Nest and then up Cement Creek at my Overland Estates Community I am putting together. I am always down to drop what I am doing and hit a trail, even if its just in my Power Wagon work truck.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
11,940 ft today on way to Arapahoe Basin ski resort. Did just fine.
Only bummer is the wipers are definitely weak in snow (piles up and sticks to the wipers requiring numerous stops to clear)
So @coloradosnow is the current leader. Anyone want to get higher……

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stop by during the summer, I think I know a place no one will beat us for record high readying. I am building my cabin along the Animas off 550 2.5 miles south of Silverton. I will be around a lot working at Ravens Nest and then up Cement Creek at my Overland Estates Community I am putting together. I am always down to drop what I am doing and hit a trail, even if its just in my Power Wagon work truck.
Need to remember that you're up there!

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
So @coloradosnow is the current leader. Anyone want to get higher……

I think coloradosnow has the win, unless someone drive up a trail in South America or Africa soon. Since anything higher now in the US for a Pass paved or unpaved is closed with Snow. We have more coming in now to Colorado, last night 7 Inches of snow came down at our Local Resort - Purgatory.

Strib81

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We are planing an alpine loop trip this Labor Day. Already have a room in Ouray. Maybe we will meet up.

Back
Top Bottom