The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Happy New Year from Arizona, USA!

Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
Have you guys had occasion to fo much winching here? I usually just use a kinetic strap when someone gets stuck in the sand.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just retired from the USBP (United States Border Patrol, Jean ;)). I've had a few opportunities to winch someone out and a couple to snatch them out. More mud or a wheel hanging over a cliff than sand in my area and experience. When you need a winch, you really need a winch. There may not always be room to use a strap. @Traffic

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
Not a lot of winching for me, I am doing it mainly since it will come as factory. I have had to get pulled out of some snow a few times and pulled others out but as you mentioned that was just a strap. Did have to get winched when a road bed gave way at 12000 ft up in Colorado. Would have been nice to self recover on that one. Then again with dual lockers I probably would have driven out of it. I won’t be taking anything crazy with this, mainly running around Colorado, everywhere my Tundra gets me to now.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
To be fair, the founders of our nation saw the States as individual sovereigns, equal with the sovereign States of Europe, with a weak federal government to deal with affairs and conflicts between the various States of the Union.

One thing that I have found interesting, as a matter of perspective, I have noticed that when a typically European person references a major city in the USA, they will, for example say New York, USA or Omaha, USA. This sounds completely odd to us, where we don't consider USA a part of the location at all, and instead only reference the State. (Omaha, NE or NY, NY)
That's amusing because in most US movies and TV shows they always reference the city and the country when talking about somewhere outside of USA
Such as Paris, France
Generally in Australia we would just say Paris and everyone would assume France. Unless it is somewhere fairly obscure.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's amusing because in most US movies and TV shows they always reference the city and the country when talking about somewhere outside of USA
Such as Paris, France
Generally in Australia we would just say Paris and everyone would assume France. Unless it is somewhere fairly obscure.
True, when referring to locales outside the USA. Ex: We'd say Sydney, Australia as opposed to Sydney, NSW (which is what you'd say if you used the same taxonomy we do here in the USA.)
I meant that internally, we use city and state, or externally, city and country, where I've heard / read most Europeans refer to US cities as city and country, which is confusing because we almost always reference the state,

Now, if you're in Texas, and you just say Paris, that could get confusing, as there is a Paris, Texas.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hold my bachelors in journalism and we learned Associated Press (AP) style and there is a list that dictates when cities, states, and countries should be identified. AP Explained So the fact that there is a Madrid, Iowa (which they pronounce as Mad-drid not Ma-drid) would require the state because AP style states that Madrid is assumed to be in Spain.

There‘s also a Nevada, Iowa, but they say Na-vay-duh.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:39 PM
Reaction score
This sounds completely odd to us, where we don't consider USA a part of the location at all
Thank you, I agree with your view. But such details are not visible for us in Europe.

And I think it is right that you feel sovereign as a state. (y)

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
To be fair, the founders of our nation saw the States as individual sovereigns, equal with the sovereign States of Europe, with a weak federal government to deal with affairs and conflicts between the various States of the Union.

One thing that I have found interesting, as a matter of perspective, I have noticed that when a typically European person references a major city in the USA, they will, for example say New York, USA or Omaha, USA. This sounds completely odd to us, where we don't consider USA a part of the location at all, and instead only reference the State. (Omaha, NE or NY, NY)
Goes both ways, my friend. I often visit my sister in Jersey (and if I add Channel Islands, I get a confused look). And until I do a lot of explanation about this little island just off the coast of France, that is part of the British Isles, I inevitable get asked "what part? Newark? Trenton?..... ;)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Goes both ways, my friend. I often visit my sister in Jersey (and if I add Channel Islands, I get a confused look). And until I do a lot of explanation about this little island just off the coast of France, that is part of the British Isles, I inevitable get asked "what part? Newark? Trenton?..... ;)

Attachments

• BE44BF80-1341-4345-9974-A329763AD286.jpeg
    BE44BF80-1341-4345-9974-A329763AD286.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 20
Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
Such as Paris, France
18 US states have a town named, “Paris”: Paris, Texas; Paris, Illinois, etc. We also have Paris Hilton, but that is something very different.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
18 US states have a town named, “Paris”: Paris, Texas; Paris, Illinois, etc. We also have Paris Hilton, but that is something very different.
I've spent a night in "the" Paris Hilton..... Very good night it was, too! I did not video the experience...... ;)

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:39 PM
Reaction score
Definitely get an AZ group together. I am in Tucson.
I used to live in Tucson for one year in 1981 and for some months in 1985. My wife worked at the Health Sciences Center. Beautiful place, I miss it and we return to Az whenever is possible... Unfortunately last time we went to Tucson some years ago, travelling by an Hummer... Wonderful place for a Grenadier!1679177586446.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom