The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Halliwell Jones Socials

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
I hope not. The whole concept of playing engine noises through the stereo system is such a joke, yet tons of cars out there do it!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:09 PM
Reaction score
It does sound nice but is that petrol or diesel?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:09 PM
Reaction score
Grenadier with wing doors. 😲

What would it look like? :unsure:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
No acoustic tricks?
I should be a bit more precise:

Acoustic tricks by means of an exhaust flap, extra "acoustic design" or so. Just mechanically.

Never expected the Grenadier to have some stereo amplifier crap for that, OMG.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds more like vehicle with far less ground clearance.. and wing-doors..
A lot of the turbo petrols now have a high idle (auto choke) on cold start. My mates Jeep JL 2.0 is loud on a cold start, but soon settles down

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
A lot of the turbo petrols now have a high idle (auto choke) on cold start.

Same with our 2008 SLK. Not a turbo, but a Kompressor. Plus the much higher revs before the automatic engages the next gear when the engine is cold.

Simply put, the software forces you to rev high when the engine is cold. I HATE IT!

I've been thinking about this, and I think I now know why: this is a quick way to get the emissions into a "better" range. Obviously, the necessary temperatures for a working catalytic converter and optimal combustion are achieved more quickly.

What looks like a sensible concept at first glance is actually a cheap way for the manufacturer to get away with better official exhaust values.

But the customer pays the bill in the end: with higher fuel consumption and greater engine wear. The concept is good for the numbers, but not for longevity.

It sucks!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
Same with our 2008 SLK. Not a turbo, but a Kompressor. Plus the much higher revs before the automatic engages the next gear when the engine is cold.

Simply put, the software forces you to rev high when the engine is cold. I HATE IT!

I've been thinking about this, and I think I now know why: this is a quick way to get the emissions into a "better" range. Obviously, the necessary temperatures for a working catalytic converter and optimal combustion are achieved more quickly.

What looks like a sensible concept at first glance is actually a cheap way for the manufacturer to get away with better official exhaust values.

But the customer pays the bill in the end: with higher fuel consumption and greater engine wear. The concept is good for the numbers, but not for longevity.

It sucks!
@emax I agree with you completely. I also bought an SLK230 compressor in the last century.
By the way, look closely, I signed the contract for it in 1996. It was delivered in 1999, and here we are complaining about the delay of the Grenadier! Guys, you just have to have a lot of staying power when it comes to things like this. But reading here in the forum together with you is simply fun and distracts from the waiting!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Quite a clear engine note on this video:

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
Quite a clear engine note on this video:

Aaah - diesel music to my ears

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Vw golf r have a resonator on the windscreen that gives a more throaty sound in the cab first thing that gets removed with most .

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
Vw golf r have a resonator on the windscreen that gives a more throaty sound in the cab first thing that gets removed with most .
Easier to turn the “volume off” via OBD11 or vagcom. That’s what I did to mine - along with many other little tricky things that VW try and hide from you.

Back
Top Bottom