The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel tank

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
Unfortunately in Aussie, 95% of the population occupy 4% of this continent, with 60% of roads gravel. Some distances are travelled off road.

So fuel and range is crucial for a genuine off roader. The Grenie offers that sweet spot of size, weight with the diesel offers plenty of torque. Very attractive configuration underneath however with compromises as all vehicles. Diesel is safer to carry and store too. However for the extensive journeys, 90 litres won't be sufficient.

In Australia similar to USA and South Africa, aftermarket accessories is a large industry recognised by Ineos. So I'm very interested how any on the forum address this, how we increase the size of the factory tank, and add an additional auxiliary tank plus jerries on the rear (& never the roof).

Side question.- diff breathers? No mention anywhere.

Placed my order Feb.

Cheers, Geoff

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Rotopax strapped to the ladder is my plan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220925-093516.png
    Screenshot_20220925-093516.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 53

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
Unfortunately in Aussie, 95% of the population occupy 4% of this continent, with 60% of roads gravel. Some distances are travelled off road.

So fuel and range is crucial for a genuine off roader. The Grenie offers that sweet spot of size, weight with the diesel offers plenty of torque. Very attractive configuration underneath however with compromises as all vehicles. Diesel is safer to carry and store too. However for the extensive journeys, 90 litres won't be sufficient.

In Australia similar to USA and South Africa, aftermarket accessories is a large industry recognised by Ineos. So I'm very interested how any on the forum address this, how we increase the size of the factory tank, and add an additional auxiliary tank plus jerries on the rear (& never the roof).

Placed my order Feb.

Cheers, Geoff
Why not on the roof?

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Rotopax strapped to the ladder is my plan
Well maybe if you're only on the bitumen.

When off road (consider the dynamic load) door hinges will eventually fail under stress.

Not only that, Rotopax won't hold 100 litres of fuel (5x jerry cans). A seperate frame on a swing arm bolted on rear of chassis is the only option and thats just for 2x jerries - 40 kgs. (Carrying petrol on the rear of any vehicle is illegal in Australia).

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Placed my order Feb.

Cheers, Geoff
Re Diff breathers. A mate of mine owns nuggetstuff.com and already had plans to adapt his Landrover diff breather kit to the IG. Check it out.

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Well maybe if you're only on the bitumen.

When off road (consider the dynamic load) door hinges will eventually fail under stress.

Not only that, Rotopax won't hold 100 litres of fuel (5x jerry cans). A seperate frame on a swing arm bolted on rear of chassis is the only option and thats just for 2x jerries - 40 kgs. (Carrying petrol on the rear of any vehicle is illegal in Australia).
For me an extra 20l is all I need for where I am planning to go. And an extra 20l hanging off the ladder for a day or so on rare occasions is unlikely to have any effect whatsoever on the hinges, assuming it's been designed for a static load of 100kg.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Australian mainland diesel offroaders have a problem with 90L, which has been discussed over and over. No magic solutions have been suggested at this point in time.
Obviously petrol range is less , but the thought is that there is space behind the rear axle for a LRT if the muffler is removed.
Jerry cans are a personal choice and it's true you can't hang petrol jerrys off the back (nor the front lol) in Australia.
Range will be a deal breaker for some.
Perhaps the dual cab will have a larger tank?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The majority of 4wds available have less than 90 Litre fuel tanks so I am just working on a hunch that 90 litres will be Ok for 97.671% of IG buyers.
Toyota Prado is extremely popular and comes in 87 litre or an additional 30 litres if you take the spare on the rear door option.
From what I have seen a large % of the overlanders base their vehicles on a 70 series Landcruiser which has 130 litre (90 outside Australia) or 180 Litre in the troopy. The majority of the Youtube overlanders I have had contact with have said they would not use the Grenadier as it is too heavy, does not have sufficient payload and is not in the right configuration for them. Dual cab ute with a canopy seems to be the first choice with a GVM upgrade. Many use swags when going alone and tow a caravan or camper trailer when with family. Regardless of the standard tank capacity these are often replaced by aftermarket tanks to allow for water tanks and extra batteries etc.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with you DaveB but fuel is much more available across Australia than it was 40 years ago when my dad and us kids went off-road for a week or so.

If the 90lt diesel tank in the G gets you 650-750km between refills - then you have to be way way outback or way way off-road to have an issue.

It won't be a problem in Tas, Vic, NSW & QLD?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
For me an extra 20l is all I need for where I am planning to go. And an extra 20l hanging off the ladder for a day or so on rare occasions is unlikely to have any effect whatsoever on the hinges, assuming it's been designed for a static load of 100kg.
A jerrycan of fuel has to be less than half the weight of the spare hanging off the other door (although that door has a huge strengthing internal casting). Then it's also closer to the pivot point/hinges and after a day or so off road can be emptied into the main tank. So all sounds good.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
but the thought is that there is space behind the rear axle for a LRT if the muffler is removed.
What's the legalities of doing that?

Jerry cans are a personal choice and it's true you can't hang petrol jerrys off the back (nor the front lol) in Australia.

When you say hang off the back or front ~ is that in terms of the footprint/vertical line from any external face or just when viewed from the front/rear?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
What's the legalities of doing that?

When you say hang off the back or front ~ is that in terms of the footprint/vertical line from any external face or just when viewed from the front/rear?
Removing muffler? In my state , probably zero as long as a cat is in there somewhere and it's not uber noisy. No annual roadworthy checks here.
Petrol front and back in an accident isn't going to end well. Even if stored up high at the back , a truck might run into you.
I can't find specific regulation re dangerous goods transport on the rear of vehicles, but it's pretty common sense you shouldn't lug petrol anywhere someone might run into the back or front. And on the roof the weight adds up and if you rollover.

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Door is not strong enough or designed for. Common solution is a mounted swinging frame (for jerries etc ) bolted to end of chassis (above rear left bumper) to swing left to open and access ladder or door. This way it can be unbolted, much stronger than relying on door hinges not designed for 40/60 kgs.

Primarily, dynamic loads (not static) are fundamental to any mod. ie.a general rule, 2/3's of static is your dynamic load. Same with roof load etc. Engineering first provides evidence for 'Built on Purpose', particularly on tough hard rocky roads that stress any 4x4 (eventually). Reliability is everything when 1200kms from anyway. Even tracks where the Grenadier can only manage 30/40 kms per hour without compromising under. Many ignore at their risk. Plenty of examples in Aussie rescues.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:48 AM
Reaction score
> 2/3's of static
You mean 3/2's ?

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
2/3 o
> 2/3's of static
You mean 3/2's ?
2/3s of static meaning: - 2 dynamic of 3 static load. As a third less for dynamic ( as an approx). Great example in Aussie - many roof racks actually come off if neglecting load, well into the trip with tough conditions.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This way it can be unbolted, much stronger than relying on door hinges not designed for 40/60 kgs.

Primarily, dynamic loads (not static) are fundamental to any mod. ie.a general rule, 2/3's of static is your dynamic load.
I'm trying to run through your numbers...

So, hinge on ladder side must be designed to take at least the 100kg static load that the ladder can support.

Taking ⅔rds of that gives us 66kg dynamic load.

Where's the issue hanging a 20kg Jerrycan off it?

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You can add or your like to the ladder etc however a door is a door. Point is do what you like just suggesting the entire vehicle (the enginering) is designed for a purpose. So if you are adding significant weight and not going off road take the risk. However if you are perpetually going to use the vehicle in challenging technical off road conditions then consider load rating including dynamic which by most inexperienced users do not.
Hence 'Built for Purpose' !

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Happy with the precautionary principle but you made two clear statements:

"Door is not strong enough or designed for" and "relying on door hinges not designed for 40/60 kgs."

And fag packet number crunching doesn't seem to support them. What's missing?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For What it's worth: The static load on all doors has been referenced in other threads here and in other IG reports as 150Kg. The "designed for' load was also a "talking point" on the 'drive day' here in Queensland last Jan/Feb (2022).

Back
Top Bottom