The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front diff failure

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
Was under the truck yesterday and my front diff is "seeping" at the yoke seal at leading side of front prop shaft. There was enough to form drips that I had to wipe off. Anyone else have that going on? Hard to see in the pic, but concerning with only 3k miles. I'm assuming that the driveline vibration at 2000 rpm is beginning to take out that seal. Don't know how the design got through all that testing without caring about the known vibration at 2000 rpm anytime under load. I live in the mountains and every time I go somewhere, seems like it's at that rpm. LOL
Yes my front diff seal is weeping and when I asked a couple of months back about changing it I was told a special tool was required to do this and it was not available. IMG_2943.jpeg

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:10 AM
Reaction score
Yes my front diff seal is weeping and when I asked a couple of months back about changing it I was told a special tool was required to do this and it was not available. View attachment 7856105
Is your Grenny still in South Africa? I thought Carrero axles were supposed to be as common in your hemisphere as Dana is to North America. Surprised they don’t have the tool to work on Carrero, but better to have it serviced at your local dealer anyway.

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is your Grenny still in South Africa? I thought Carrero axles were supposed to be as common in your hemisphere as Dana is to North America.
It’s still in South Africa about to be loaded in a container in the next couple of days ready for shipping back to Rotterdam.

MarkgreSC

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
Yes my front diff seal is weeping and when I asked a couple of months back about changing it I was told a special tool was required to do this and it was not available. View attachment 7856105
Thanks for the feedback. If oil can get out, water can probably get in. I put it on my list to have addressed next time in shop. Dealer just had mine for two months with a list of initial delivery problems, including AC not working and I wanted to enjoy it for another few weeks before losing it again. Looks like you have put yours through some more exercise than I have had an opportunity for, any other things I should keep an eye on once I start beating on it?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. If oil can get out, water can probably get in. I put it on my list to have addressed next time in shop. Dealer just had mine for two months with a list of initial delivery problems, including AC not working and I wanted to enjoy it for another few weeks before losing it again. Looks like you have put yours through some more exercise than I have had an opportunity for, any other things I should keep an eye on once I start beating on it?
Other than the items mentioned on my travel thread then no. Just transfer box, Bowden cable fixings and auxillary radiator mountings behind front bumper. I will be putting underbody protection on though. I will wait and check out the awaited Ineos offering before making a decision on which brand to use.

Local time
Reaction score
Other than the items mentioned on my travel thread then no. Just transfer box, Bowden cable fixings and auxillary radiator mountings behind front bumper. I will be putting underbody protection on though. I will wait and check out the awaited Ineos offering before making a decision on which brand to use.
Hi good to see you at the week end the special tool is probably a circular drift to seat the seal squarely like LR front hub oil seals could gt one turned up if we knew the specs.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
Wow, 2 months. What caused them to have your vehicle for so long?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wow, 2 months. What caused them to have your vehicle for so long?
No they haven't had my vehicle that long The sweating seal was identified in Windhoek and I’ve done thousands of km since then and no dripping oil. I’ve been home a month awaiting shipping and in the meanwhile asked Ineos Cape Town if they could service and check over. Hopefully it will be containerised and loaded for shipping in the next few days

Back
Top Bottom