The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Forum Suggestions Box - Q&A

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
Ok, so were a few months into this forum now, if there are any suggestions to improve the database structure, interface, look, and general mechanics of the forum site then please post here. The software is quite limited at the moment so some ideas may not make it to fruition.

Nevertheless, critique, complaint or complement are all welcome.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
Doing a great job so far Stu ?

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Spjnr said:
Doing a great job so far Stu ?

Totally agree. The forum software is different than I'm used to but this is a fantastic community you are building here @Stu_Barnes. Thanks for doing the leg work.

I think you've laid the foundation for a Grenadier community here beyond these forums -- the folks who seem interested in this rig are mostly of a like mind. I'd like to that bringing people together like this is the digital version of the Jeep Jamboree which in many ways spawned the "jeep culture" around the world.

Only bit of technical feedback I have is that it would be nice to be able to get to "new posts" a bit easier; right now the way I do it is on the 3-bar menu on the top left of the screen. But, in some cases, when I'm at the bottom of along thread, the menu doesn't appear until I scroll back up (as in, the three bars are there, but it almost seems like it's an "infinite menu" that is tied to the size of the page, as opposed to a static menu with just a few options.

That's a super minor thing though and easy to sort out - I wouldn't sweat on it unless it's an easy toggle to flick with your morning tea.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
@ChasingOurTrunks there's some good points there. The software platform is an off the shelf one at the moment. Once and if the community grows then I can look at migrating it over to another or dig in with the company that makes this one and get them to modify especially for us. 

With regards to the foundation for a Grenadier community that is exactly what I was trying to do. Eventually I'm hoping it will be an expedition portal, overland bound sort of hybrid thing based on the Grenadier and not as diluted as those forums have become, in my opinion at least. 

But the bottom line is that this community lives or dies by the members who put their time, opinion and effort into making it a success and it's all going in the right direction so far. 

Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
Is this forum hosted on any apps like Tapatalk or is it only accessible via the web?

Moved SB.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
ABBB said:
Is this forum hosted on any apps like Tapatalk or is it only accessible via the web?

Moved SB.

At the moment it's just web based. Trying to keep things lean to start with, if and when things grow hopefully we can be on more platforms.

Great question by the way. I'll ask the tech guys if there's any option of integrating or using tapatalk.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
A suggestion: I want notifications immediately and have it configured like this.

BUT: I'd prefer to get an immediate email-notification ONCE per thread, and then no additional one until I have visited this thread.

Why: Because it doesn't make sense to have more than one email to notify me about new postings in particular thread. My mailbox fills up with e.g. "Accredited tires" notifications whenever somebody sends a posting.  One would be enough, I think. Then, after I have visited this thread, a new one should come in if there is a new posting and I was not online at that time.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
So Tapatalk is a no go at the moment with this platform unfortunately.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
With regards to notifications there's some options for how and when they are sent. 

Go to your Avatar on the top right of your screen, then select "settings"

You'll see the following options that you can tweak at will.

Although this is not as specific as you point out max, it does offer some options to reduce the email clutter.

Hope this helps.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I will try it. A remark however: if this is phpbb, I am just requesting a common phpbb feature.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
I wonder if we can have a poll of the site users showing how many people are still lurking, how many have put the initial deposit down, who intends to put the next deposit down, and who will be signing a contract ASAP.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
last month there were 2039 individual active lurkers and 383 members. The rest of the info is beyond my hazy crystal balls abilities. 

Here is the member activity. 

If you want to start a poll then feel free. The community will decide on the engagement. Just stat a new topic in the relevant section of the forum though if you would Davman. 

Thanks

Stu.

Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
Hi Stu,  just a suggestion...  If you move a thread, it would be good to know where they have moved too.   I understand this is a bit more work but it would be very helpful :)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I guess, if you read the "moved..." remark you're just at the new location. ?

Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
Is there a way to mark all read under each section? I need to start over with all these notifications

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Gasman said:
Is there a way to mark all read under each section? I need to start over with all these notifications

Click on the 2 small ticks next to the “new topic”button on the forum home page. And all the topics are marked as read.  

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
emax said:
I guess, if you read the "moved..." remark you're just at the new location.
1f60e.png

You nailed it. As ever if anyone thinks I’ve moved a thread by mistake reach out and I’ll have a look.But overall I’m just trying to get things filed away in their respective sections so as to not let things get lost in the “grenadier chat” “bucket of everything” 

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It would be helpful to have a field with the country where you live. It could be placed under the avatar of the member. This forum has grown into a wordwide commuity and this short info about the persons regional background helps to understand questions and proposals.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Agree.

International identifer & flag icon would be perfect.

DEU /

Attachments

• deu.png
    deu.png
    262 bytes · Views: 19

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
There's big changes coming soon and all of these upgrades will be there.

Back
Top Bottom