The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Low Bandwidth Forum Interface

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:55 AM
Reaction score
In anticipation of great adventures and the sketchy internet that goes with them we have a supplementary forum interface.

In addition to the light and dark themes there is now a low bandwidth option.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 1.33.03 PM.png

I've spent enough time on dial up or on satellite internet with terrible contention rates to know that this at some point will be a lifesaver for some, especially with field breakdowns etc.

Obviously the functionality is greatly reduced, virtually decimated to be honest.

All the fluff has been removed, basic color palette and the bare minimum of user interface, read write posts and create threads and thats just about it.

You do need to be logged in before switching over otherwise you'll not be able to post.

Just select the paintbrush at the bottom of your browser window and option 'low bandwidth mode' from the menu.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 1.33.26 PM.png

It's very much a work in progress and is being fine tuned for our particular needs so consider this a non finished style opttion.

As always, suggestions are welcome...

Stu.

(You can run your own benchmarks if you want but I was seeing about a 60% load time reduction and data usage per page compared to the normal theme on a simulated 56k up/down connection.)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
A quick update on the interface.

Login functionality enabled most importantly
Messaging service enabled second most importantly for being stuck in the sticks
Root menu enabled
Profile access enabled

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 12.19.08 PM.png

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
That’s pretty much what I was aiming for. For those that need it, It’ll be invaluable. For those that don’t it just won’t. If it helps one person then it’s worth the effort in my book.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
That’s pretty much what I was aiming for. For those that need it, It’ll be invaluable. For those that don’t it just won’t. If it helps one person then it’s worth the effort in my book.
The Australian Land Rover Owners forum ( AULRO.com ) has a dedicated thread "SOS and Breakdown ONLY" for those who get stuck ... it's not a place for prolonged tech. discussion but rather hints/help/who might be able to assist/etc
Am thinking something similar here would be of benefit once the adventures begin!

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Totally. That’s the idea. That board has some great features.
There’s a special Q&A format for threads in the forum software that isn’t implemented yet. So that will be the template and once the particular sos is addressed it will be archived with its tags etc.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Whats New activated and Alerts activated.

Remember to disable the auto renew on the 'Whats New' tab if using on satcom, iridium etc to minimize data use.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
The low bandwidth forum theme is a few weeks old now, I'd love to hear of anyone that has used it on a slow or limited internet connection. Simulations can only do so much and real world experience is always best in my book.

All feedback is good on this subject as we try and dial things in.

Either post here or message me if you prefer.

Thanks

Stu.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
I'm just bumping this thread so folks know it's here and how to access it. We are on vacation in Vermont and our internet access is sketchy at best. The low bandwidth version works great and could prove to be a life saver someday.

Back
Top Bottom