The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

For those in love with the Nanny State!

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
It does not help your argument to use phrases like "commiefornia" as it makes you look like a biased lunatic. Speed limiters are not uncommon around the world and they seem to reduce the overall death rate. Remember this is an international forum and some of us have first hand knowledge of real communist states.
I am a informed biased lunatic and do not have a problem with that especially concerning Commiefornia or Kalifornia or whatever. Perhaps since you are in the UK you should stay out of US conversations? I remember when Commiefornia was a somewhat decent state - in 1976 and it has gone down hill since and it probable started before then (probably with Governor Moombeam).

Most speed limiters here, that I remember, were on large commercial rigs. Do they have them on passenger vehicles in the UK?

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@LC0013 All I said was I'm not looking for a political debate but added facts that bill is more than the speed limit. Second , when I click the link of your posted article i get a 404 error code. third I don't disagree as someone who works in the financial industry, the rules and regulations put in by government is ridiculous because a few people. I was in camp that we should let the whole banking industry burn to ground in the GFC. The laws that have been inacted has created more barriers to business. The last point about the complete bill is important because it paints the complete picture that it is not just a speed limiting bill. Plus, when you negotiate, you ask for world and then you give up the most ridiculous request to get what you really want. And when I look at it, it is the other component that would be most accepted by the general public.
Well then you should have said the link did not work instead of saying "looks like Fox News has taken down the article probably due to miss information"

Good gosh, the idiot who has proposed this bill said: “There’s no reason why people should routinely be allowed to drive more than 10 miles per hour above the speed limit,” Wiener said in an interview with The Times.

Here is a few for you:

The Hill: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...eed-limiting-devices-requirement-first-state/
Los Angeles Times https://www.latimes.com/california/...e-speed-throttling-devices-in-california-cars
Kron4: https://www.kron4.com/news/new-california-bill-could-require-cars-to-have-speed-limiting-technology/

moosetown

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Didn't know California was communist. Is it because we're home to the biggest corporations, have the most billionaires, or because we have strong private property laws? Glory to Stalin, btw

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Didn't know California was communist. Is it because we're home to the biggest corporations, have the most billionaires, or because we have strong private property laws? Glory to Stalin, btw
I believe the nickname "commiefornia" is a reflection of where folks believe it is heading. Looks like the largest USA corporation is Walmart and is based out of, holy smokes, Arkansas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_companies_in_the_United_States_by_revenue

Billionaires - I will give you that one for about 5 years since the smart ones are moving to Florida!

Don't leave out that Commiefornia has the most regulations of all states. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2020-11-03/which-state-has-the-most-regulations

Strong private property laws.......maybe for squatters!

Kinda of getting away from the original post the intent of which was to show that there is an effort to impose speed limiters on vehicles in Commierfornia which, if passed, will most likely mean all cars manufactured will then have this device installed on them.

I remember when cars were noted as "California Car" it usually meant it had some performance inhibiting devices on them. Consequently the used value was less than the same vehicle that did not have these devices.

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
10:12 PM
Reaction score
At first this post just irked me a little, not for the real content, which I of course oppose, just the unnecessary derogatory language toward California which is just unnecessary. Now the blatant California-bashing just has me pissed. Bullshit labels and preconceptions is why political debates are so hard. That’s all, I’m out on this one.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:12 AM
Reaction score
...But if CHP has issued 3000 tickets to people driving over 100mph in course of one year and that is people they caught, makes you wonder if it's not a bad idea.
What's generally bad with going >100mph? And don't tell me because it's not allowed....

Some facts: ( https://www.adac.de/verkehr/standpunkte-studien/positionen/tempolimit-autobahn-deutschland/ ):

Germany Autobahn, unlimited (54% = 18.000kms): 1.48 people killed per 1 Billion vehicle kms
US, highways limited to 88-136km/h: 4.19 killed per 1 Billion vehicle kms

=> speed is not a general root cause for traffic dangers.

Last edited:

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Again, in the US you need a car to go to work, so we have lax laws where everyone can just about get a license, heck you don't even need one to drive around in Texas (illegals). So of course we have a higher death rate, but I will say, the US also lead the world in safety mandates. So you can thank us for that.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
1937 has the highest per capita of vehicular deaths in the US at a rate of 29.36/100k population.

There are nearly 43,000 fatal crashes a year in the U.S., but there’s at least a glimmer of hope: The actual deadly car crash rate is less than 1%. Speed played a role in 29% of all car accident deaths in 2021

Basically speed factors into vehicular deaths in rare instances, statistically speaking. Not sure adding governors will actually have any significant impact on this particular stat.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This will lighten the mood a little: In NJ speed cameras are outlawed. Completely unrelated, we are not allowed to pump our own fuel and the station cannot charge you more for “full service”.

:ROFLMAO: ;)💪

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This will lighten the mood a little: In NJ speed cameras are outlawed. Completely unrelated, we are not allowed to pump our own fuel and the station cannot charge you more for “full service”.

:ROFLMAO: ;)💪
NJ Used to be the place I would stop and fill up on my way down South…not any more. You know your gas prices are too high if CT prices are equivalent or lower (excl. California of course)

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As former police officer, why aren't the police pulling those people over and giving them a ticket? Why aren't the laws being enforced? I have no idea but I would be interested in your experience. I bet that is a great place to start in terms of reducing speeding.
I obviously can’t speak for every officer or state policies on enforcement but it’s not so much that officers aren‘t doing their jobs as much as serious violations, and crime in general for that matter, aren’t being prosecuted and there are minimal repercussions for breaking the law. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve pulled someone over and they’re literally driving on a suspended license and when I run their permit, they’re on their 4-5 suspension. I don‘t care what race they are or how marginalized they claim to be…that person has demonstrated an inability to make good choices when operating a motor vehicle and should never be allowed to drive. Same goes for people with revoked permits and those with multiple DUI/DWI convictions. Why are they still on the road? It doesn’t help that drug use is through the roof either…because many states allow it…even hard drugs. Why?

If that sounds harsh to say that they shouldn’t be able to drive…well maybe that will make the next person think twice because they now know the severity and repercussions of breaking the law multiple times.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve arrested someone, and they’re out on the street before I’m even able to finish my own administrative paperwork. On top of that many departments are down on officers. Why is that? When the DAs start charging officers even before an investigation can be completed, it doesn’t exactly breed confidence or give an officer the motivation to do their job. The next call could cost you your career or jail, even if you did your job correctly. On top of that stripping away qualified immunity for officers is also wrong. That basically means if you were not negligent in the performance of your duties and were basically trying to do the right thing but the outcome still resulted in death or bodily harm to the suspect(s) or member of the public, it’s not the officers fault.

I understand and fully concede that there are bad cops out there. But as I mentioned creating rules for everyone based on the mistakes of the one, or few, is ridiculous. You know who hates bad cops….good cops, because bad cops make our lives miserable too, just in a different way. I’m sure everyone here, who works with other people, knows what it feels like to get goat roped in with the $hit bird that screwed up when you did nothing wrong.

I have a suggestion for Weiner…How about you concentrate on eliminating DWI/DUI, since 35%-40% of fatal accidents are normally due to being impaired. Actually put efforts into punishing those that are breaking the law, instead of putting further restrictions on law abiding citizens. That would save a few thousand lives per year (Just in CA, IIRC @15K nationwide) and it would reduce people getting arrested by probably @100,000 for a state as large as CA…just a guess. Obviously it’s never going to be zero.

Sorry for the long rant

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
What's generally bad with going >100mph? And don't tell me because it's not allowed....

Some facts: ( https://www.adac.de/verkehr/standpunkte-studien/positionen/tempolimit-autobahn-deutschland/ ):

Germany Autobahn, unlimited (54% = 18.000kms): 1.48 people killed per 1 Billion vehicle kms
US, highways limited to 88-136km/h: 4.19 killed per 1 Billion vehicle kms

=> speed is not a general root cause for traffic dangers.
I would say nothing is bad going 100. It becomes bad when you go 100 to 0 in 2 seconds. In the US most fatalities are 16 to 18. Followed by 80 plus crowd. I believe in Germany you can't get your car driver's license until your 18

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
@LC0013 Not looking on getting in a political debate on the state of califorina. But I do take issue with incomplete information or misinformation. First, most bills introduced into law never come out the backside looking like it came in. The bill also addresses trucking, road way repair, sidewalks, biking and ease of access for the handicap second, looks like Fox News has taken down the article probably due to miss information. Third, below is his bill introduction and reasoning behind it. I would point out NTSB has been trying to get speed governers in place so not a Califorina thing. The EU will have this in place in July of 2024. May of us on the forum were all freaked out that it would spill over into the driver aid systems. Do I agree that we should have them? No. But if CHP has issued 3000 tickets to people driving over 100mph in course of one year and that is people they caught, makes you wonder if it's not a bad idea.
Sorry but I don't subscribe to the mindset of "one person sh*ts them selves we all wear diapers"
If people are driving like maniacs then there should be consequences however severe for those bad actors. Don't impose archaic legislation on the entire populace for the stupid actions of a few...

Lack of any sort of accountability is the root cause of most of the social issues we face in this country today.

Last edited:

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would say nothing is bad going 100. It becomes bad when you go 100 to 0 in 2 seconds. In the US most fatalities are 16 to 18. Followed by 80 plus crowd. I believe in Germany you can't get your car driver's license until your 18
Pre-frontal lobe development definitely not developed at that age…especially males….although I believe some people never fully develop😂🤪🤡

I may or may not resemble that remark

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
NJ Used to be the place I would stop and fill up on my way down South…not any more. You know your gas prices are too high if CT prices are equivalent or lower (excl. California of course)
Still cheaper than PA, and to be honest, I haven't compared fuel prices for 20 years. I go to local quality fuel stations and do the same when I travel. Yes, CA prices are insane!

Back
Top Bottom