The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Footwell intrusion

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
Finally an advantage for my short legs.

My wife sometimes calls me a "sitting giant". By which she means that I look taller than I am when I'm sitting: When I stand up, I don't get much taller ...

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
In my Golf GTI 7.5, my left foot can barely reach the foot rest so when i am driving i have my left leg bent so i can put my foot on the floor.
I found the Grenadier left foot rest good as it is wide and stable and i don't have to reach for it to brace myself

Local time
11:10 PM
Reaction score
Footrest_RHD.png
Its simple: this will be unbearable for some people. while others will likely be okay with it.

Has anyone (who can post on this forum) driven a Grenadier for two hours yet? Six? Eight? Be interesting to hear reports after the vehicles are delivered.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7804589
Its simple: this will be unbearable for some people. while others will likely be okay with it.

Has anyone (who can post on this forum) driven a Grenadier for two hours yet? Six? Eight? Be interesting to hear reports after the vehicles are delivered.
Seen through glass on YouTube, drove it for 250 miles. Although he had some criticism, the footrest wasn’t one of them.

Geordie Hillbilly

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have not driven yet, but this is at a similar angle etc to my X5 and at 6'3", I have no issue. One thing to note, there is a lot of headroom in the Grenny so once you've jacked the seat up a bit, the "problem" diminishes quite a bit.

Attachments

• 20230223_132524.jpg
    20230223_132524.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 26

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
I have not driven yet, but this is at a similar angle etc to my X5 and at 6'3", I have no issue. One thing to note, there is a lot of headroom in the Grenny so once you've jacked the seat up a bit, the "problem" diminishes quite a bit.

Do you then have to stoop to see out of the windows ?

When I first sat in one and specifically looked at the footrest, I thought no issue, having got back in another one I did start to wonder if it is going to make my knee or hip ache on long drives.

However I won’t be doing many long drives as I can’t afford the petrol. If it’s a long drive I will take my economical little car and get a bad back instead 😃

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Test drive of 20 minutes over bumpy conditions vs 200km straight road - it won't be as comfortable as we think (my 2c). The footrest suits at least 4 inches forward of the throttle plane. It might be ok, but my test drives were all hard to find a perfect seating position with the left leg slightly wedged site to the high seating position required. Yes give me a contract please!!!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Teach yourself left foot braking ; weird at first but you get used to it.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On long (or short) drives my left leg spends most of the time propped up with the foot on the floor and not the footrest anyway. Other than the need on a long trip to stretch the leg out straight I don’t see a problem.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I had a 77 BMW that used to stall coming up to the lights. Mechanic (in retrospect a rubbish mechanic) told me it would need $1500 work (this was 1987)
I learnt to left foot brake and keep the revs up!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On long (or short) drives my left leg spends most of the time propped up with the foot on the floor and not the footrest anyway. Other than the need on a long trip to stretch the leg out straight I don’t see a problem.
I do the same
Left foot siting mostly flat on the floor and side of leg leaning on the centre console.
I wear barefoot flat sole shoes/boots so that makes it easier.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As a young driver I decided to try that many years ago. Good job I was wearing a seat belt as I would have put myself straight through the windscreen otherwise 😝

Definitely needs a little practice
I did the same, forgot my left foot was over the brake and pushed it thinking twas the clutch - proper practice prevents piss poor performance!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Honestly, I’m not sure why so many people are making such a big deal about this, I don’t think I’ve been in a car that doesn’t have a footrest/exhaust protrusion in the right-hand footwell (the stop-gap Land Rover that I’m currently driving certainly has one). Granted, the one in the Grenadier does look to be larger than most from the photos; however, it doesn’t seem to protrude above the pedal line. I might be proven wrong when my vehicle finally arrives & I get to drive it; however, I personally don’t see why one would want their left foot to sit/rest lower than their right foot which is on the pedals. Surely the footrest results in both feet being more level & a better/more balanced posture? Am I missing something here?
They are far from level. What people need for ergonomics is an even plane left to right (both feet). The entire idea is that your hips are aligned evenly with similar pressure to the underside of your legs against the squab of your seat. Having eighty one hip slightly raised vertically, or one leg at a differing angle to the other in the horizontal plane, isn't a good outcome in any design for any seating intent. But we don't care, we just want our vehicles! Most people will turn a blind eye to a small problem is the rest of the vehicle lives up to expectations (the group I'll fall in to most likely) :eek:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I do the same
Left foot siting mostly flat on the floor and side of leg leaning on the centre console.
I wear barefoot flat sole shoes/boots so that makes it easier.
Same Dave. But in the Gren they're is no flat spot anywhere for the left leg haha!!!

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Guys, the comments about the RHD footrest are over represented. Once getting into the driver's seat, first thoughts were, whats all the fuss about! The pedals aren't so offset or the foot rest uncomfortable, and definitely NOT the reason for an automatic box over manual.

Designing this car, there are fundamental constraints, think Magna Steya have done a brilliant job. Driving 4Bs for nearly 50 years, I believe I've waited this long for the Grenie. (yes I've drowned, bogged and recovered enough to learn). So I don't complain waiting 5 years for this to evolve. I truly get where Sir Richard is coming from.

Ask youseif, why is the drive train (engine, gearbox and transfer case) all installed 'inclined'? Why are most 4x4s in this class of similar track width and wheel base? Think of it - difficult to fit 3 seats (people) across, middle passenger straddling the gearbox housing. Footrest design is due to the exhaust (no right hand or left hand drive engine designs).

ZF auto gearbox: Primarily is automatic due to refined automotive engineering technologies and design! HINT why trucks and buses went electronic automatic years ago. These gearboxes are actually stronger, more efficient and reliable, particularly in clutch design. I've been using ZF auto off road and towing for years, they are very good. For example, you hardly loose any momentum ( regardless of speed) when climbing, manually changing gears. Therefore no need revving the hell out of it. Hence built on purpose.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Guys, the comments about the RHD footrest are over represented. Once getting into the driver's seat, first thoughts were, whats all the fuss about! The pedals aren't so offset or the foot rest uncomfortable, and definitely NOT the reason for an automatic box over manual.

Designing this car, there are fundamental constraints, think Magna Steya have done a brilliant job. Driving 4Bs for nearly 50 years, I believe I've waited this long for the Grenie. (yes I've drowned, bogged and recovered enough to learn). So I don't complain waiting 5 years for this to evolve. I truly get where Sir Richard is coming from.

Ask youseif, why is the drive train (engine, gearbox and transfer case) all installed 'inclined'? Why are most 4x4s in this class of similar track width and wheel base? Think of it - difficult to fit 3 seats (people) across, middle passenger straddling the gearbox housing. Footrest design is due to the exhaust (no right hand or left hand drive engine designs).

ZF auto gearbox: Primarily is automatic due to refined automotive engineering technologies and design! HINT why trucks and buses went electronic automatic years ago. These gearboxes are actually stronger, more efficient and reliable, particularly in clutch design. I've been using ZF auto off road and towing for years, they are very good. For example, you hardly loose any momentum ( regardless of speed) when climbing, manually changing gears. Therefore no need revving the hell out of it. Hence built on purpose.
Why not put the exhaust on the left passenger side? If it is by design. Everything else in the Gren seems to be well thought out.

Back
Top Bottom