The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

INEOS Media First Commercial

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
With so much user generated content available, I find it hard to see where anyone sees the value in these productions?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:37 PM
Reaction score
It's the sort of footage you'd expect in some city dealers.
It lacks any sense of ruggedness and purpose.
This is how to make an ad. The 3rd one is the best.
View: https://youtu.be/4kDBnMeGzbM

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:37 AM
Reaction score
It's the sort of footage you'd expect in some city dealers.
It lacks any sense of ruggedness and purpose.
This is how to make an ad. The 3rd one is the best.
View: https://youtu.be/4kDBnMeGzbM
Porsche had some great ads. You know you’ve hit a resonance when you end up in the popular culture, like in risky business. It was either a poster or a TV ad where they had a Porsche 928 at high speed with the message “ in Germany, it competes against airplanes“.

The grenadier is like the anti-Mercedes, G wagon, and the trend towards complication and computerization. Also implicit in the G wagon comparison is a subtle classist commentary. So while the main marketing message will encompass that the sub text is “not for rich, dumb ass, millennial hipsters.“

Do you want the real add? It’s a hipster getting a customized venti latte drink, versus someone getting coffee, black, large. And then they walk out to their G wagon and their Grenadier.

Nick Offerman in the ads?

Local time
Reaction score
The grenadier is like the anti-Mercedes, G wagon, and the trend towards complication and computerization.
The Grenadier's e-locker system would like a word 😂
Do you want the real add? It’s a hipster getting a customized venti latte drink, versus someone getting coffee, black, large. And then they walk out to their G wagon and their Grenadier.
I'd rather see a commercial demonstrating the Gren's superior performance/off-road ability compared to a G wagon or Defender. Do that, even in a short story arc involving your coffee shop, without buzz words, hyperbole, or driver stereotypes, and the vehicle will sell itself.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With so much user generated content available, I find it hard to see where anyone sees the value in these productions?
I think it worked to generate some extra buzz, and when this was filmed user generated content was effectively non-existent (I think EU was about a week from deliveries).

@MileHigh I'll happily be putting my customized venti iced decaf latte in my Grenadier cupholders; and while I'm a millennial, I'm far from hipster :LOL:

Globally the Grenadier is viewed in the utilitarian mindset (thus why the RoW has commercial and 2 seat versions as well), however, a large chunk (majority perhaps) of US buyers are more chasing the lifestyle than actually using it (obviously, if you're here on this forum, you're more likely to be "using" it, but those here are a small portion of potential US sales). For the same reasons why adding "overland" to a product allows you to add 50-400% to the price and it still sells well, and why over the past few years brands like REI have gone from effectively lobbying against off-road vehicle travel to fully supporting it in their advertising and supporting content creators in the market space. It is, bluntly, where the money is. Having plenty of friends that continue to work in the industry, many are not exactly thrilled with the current trends or expansion of the sub-genre of overlanding, but it absolutely pays the bills.

The average potential US Grenadier buyer doesn't care what the approach and departure angles are, or the payload, or the impressive articulation. They love the way the "airplane" panels look inside, how tough it looks from the outside, and that it climbs over rocks (and that others will either not know what it is or know and be impressed). This is a market where people pay thousands of dollars to be "guided" along public road systems for a weekend and are doing $30k+ vehicle builds straight off the dealership floor to do those weekend "trips" to the same places that "Tim and Sue" have been camping for 20 years in their 1997 Subaru Outback with a $40 Coleman tent in the back. Most of the US Grenadiers will never see anything more technical or further away from the Starbucks drive-thru than what is seen in the video.

I'm not defending the video, it definitely has some clichés and stereotypes (ironically, the scene with coffee wasn't used) but I think it is a glimpse into what the vehicle has to offer and what it can do, and does a good job of hitting the target audience in the market that it was created for.

And... the RAV4 does have a TRD Off-Road trim now, so....

Back
Top Bottom