The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fire extinguisher mounts

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
Remember to check dry powder extinguisher every 6 to 12 months. Take the extinguisher from the bracket hold upside down and tap with a rubber mallet or piece of wood. This will loosen the dry powder that can settle and compact into a mass and limit the extinguishers ability also check the pressure gauge is in the green and not low.
After discharging a foam or dry powder on your engine or car (for a minor fire) try to clean the mess up immediately as the AFFF (foam) or dry powder is corrosive and can be aggressive on electrical parts and paint. I work for a company that has fire suppression systems on machinery and we have to discharge and major service the wet systems every 12 months. If we do not flush the pipes or the machine the foam corrodes the pipe fittings and machine parts. We work with companies like Chubb and Wormald fire systems daily.
Please consider some basic practical training or practice with family members using a fire extinguisher and fire blanket on a fire in a controlled environment as there are many people who panic or do not know the correct techniques. It is a bit like first aid, you may never use it but it is handy to know.
Something a lot of people don't know, engine coolant, ethylene glycol, propylene glycol is flammable and in a very fine mist can auto ignite (400°C) on a hot turbo or exhaust system and can fuel an engine fire because of the pressurized coolant system even after the engine is off.
This is where the refillable extinguishers are handy, you can practice techniques without burning (pun intended) lots of $, you can get AFFF for ~ $250.00 for 20lts.

Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
This is where the refillable extinguishers are handy, you can practice techniques without burning (pun intended) lots of $, you can get AFFF for ~ $250.00 for 20lts.
AFFF 3% or 6% is now being phased out in Australia and banned in QLD because of the fluorine being a carcinogen. Some of the new F3, FFF foam is not as easy to work with. If the truck storage tanks get contaminated with water or UV the fluid turns in to a jell and will not mix at the nozzle. FFF seems stable in a pressure vessel mixed correctly.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
AFFF 3% or 6% is now being phased out in Australia and banned in QLD because of the fluorine being a carcinogen. Some of the new F3, FFF foam is not as easy to work with. If the truck storage tanks get contaminated with water or UV the fluid turns in to a jell and will not mix at the nozzle. FFF seems stable in a pressure vessel mixed correctly.
Is that PFAS AFFF?
We only deal in mixed AFFF or stored and inducted foam. We changed over all B class 2 years ago and to my knowledge our A class AFFF never contained PFAS. Fortunately we don't have to maintain our equipment 😄

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:06 PM
Reaction score
Remember to check dry powder extinguisher every 6 to 12 months. Take the extinguisher from the bracket hold upside down and tap with a rubber mallet or piece of wood. This will loosen the dry powder that can settle and compact into a mass and limit the extinguishers ability also check the pressure gauge is in the green and not low.
After discharging a foam or dry powder on your engine or car (for a minor fire) try to clean the mess up immediately as the AFFF (foam) or dry powder is corrosive and can be aggressive on electrical parts and paint. I work for a company that has fire suppression systems on machinery and we have to discharge and major service the wet systems every 12 months. If we do not flush the pipes or the machine the foam corrodes the pipe fittings and machine parts. We work with companies like Chubb and Wormald fire systems daily.
Please consider some basic practical training or practice with family members using a fire extinguisher and fire blanket on a fire in a controlled environment as there are many people who panic or do not know the correct techniques. It is a bit like first aid, you may never use it but it is handy to know.
Something a lot of people don't know, engine coolant, ethylene glycol, propylene glycol is flammable and in a very fine mist can auto ignite (400°C) on a hot turbo or exhaust system and can fuel an engine fire because of the pressurized coolant system even after the engine is off.
Re.the info in my bold type edit:
Thanks for pointing this out. Very timely and still not well understood. (Has been a "warning" on older Rover 4 and 4.6L V8 engines for many years.....🙄

Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
Re.the info in my bold type edit:
Thanks for pointing this out. Very timely and still not well understood. (Has been a "warning" on older Rover 4 and 4.6L V8 engines for many years.....🙄
I have had to complete repairs on a few machines due to coolant leaks causing fires. It can be difficult to locate fine leaks especially if the leak is at a joint or connection around the turbo or exhaust.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:06 AM
Reaction score
Halon is gas, is it?

Would it work outdoors where it doesn't stay in place but quickly dissolves due to air movement?

Last edited:

McPharmer II

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:06 AM
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned the horrible mess and damage done when you fire off a dry powder fire extinguisher! If you have an engine-bay fire, you may be better using a halon fire extinguisher? They are WAAAY more expensive than dry powder, but considering the possible damage a powder extinguisher will do, might be worth the expense. A 2.5. lb may be enough, but for a little more, get the 5lb! You can buy from Kidde but have to pay extra for the bracket. If you buy from 3HR, it comes with a bracket suitable for car mounting. Available from Amazon, but this is the company website (PS: I have the impression that the Kidde and 3Hr extinguishers are from the same factory: they look identical - except that you can chose the color of the 3HR, which might be an advantage if you want different fire supressant technologies in multiple extinguishers
Sorry, but i did mentioned the mess caused by powder at #51

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:06 PM
Reaction score
I saw a Fire Extinguisher bracket fitted on the passenger's side of the car at Purnell Adventure. It looked like the bracket was attached to factory bolting points on the front of the seat supports. I am now kicking myself myself for not taking a photo. I need to locate those bolting points for another purpose. Any have such a photo?

It looked different to the image posted earlier, but maybe it is just a different model extinguisher.
img_5547-jpeg.7816910

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom