The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fire extinguisher mounts

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:22 PM
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack your photo Bill but i am hoping to fit a 1kg just inside the small door on the hinge post, next to the window but not protruding into the load space. It's easy to get to and doesn't take up foot space or compromise the boot width.
top left in photo
IMG_0771.jpeg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
Or, for a more compact installation, there is this:
If its a requirement get the Element, but in all honesty these CO2 and dry chem extinguishers on a vehicle fires are quite ineffective. IF it does happen to you one of the first things to do is disconnect the battery (most are caused by low voltage electrical issues) otherwise the heat will continue.
One thing I can say is I haven't been to a vehicle fire in 23 years that has been saved by one of these. But...we only get called out if its really going. I've seen plenty of used extinguishers though. (Pic for attention)Screenshot_20230621_115750_Chrome.jpg

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
I'm WAS considering these. Looked a much better option than the normal canister units.

Firestryker

They are branded Firestryker in Australia.

BUT I did a bit of research and there are a number of videos on Youtube that fairly convincingly demonstrate they are pretty useless / ineffective in putting fires out.
So I'll probably stick with a traditional one.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm WAS considering these. Looked a much better option than the normal canister units.

Firestryker

They are branded Firestryker in Australia.

BUT I did a bit of research and there are a number of videos on Youtube that fairly convincingly demonstrate they are pretty useless / ineffective in putting fires out.
So I'll probably stick with a traditional one.
If anything I'd go for a 10lt pump garden sprayer with 6% detergent. I know it's not the most practical but it give you the best chance of fighting a fire. Its been used on spinifex fires on the CSR with success.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If anything I'd go for a 10lt pump garden sprayer with 6% detergent. I know it's not the most practical but it give you the best chance of fighting a fire. Its been used on spinifex fires on the CSR with success.
One's own foam generator!! I have rigged a 25L jerry can with a 12V submersible bilge pump for exactly this purpose: under vehicle grass fires... not likely to get to the CSR..well not this year! Thanks for the detergent hint: I hadn't been aware of the 6% detergent recommendation... Can always be used for dousing camp fire embers and "washing up" water if fires are low probability! ;)

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One's own foam generator!! I have rigged a 25L jerry can with a 12V submersible bilge pump for exactly this purpose: under vehicle grass fires... not likely to get to the CSR..well not this year! Thanks for the detergent hint: I hadn't been aware of the 6% detergent recommendation... Can always be used for dousing camp fire embers and "washing up" water if fires are low probability! ;)
This year has been interesting on the CSR from all reports, lots of growth and potential for fires, now...its raining 😆

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1687334794516.jpg
    FB_IMG_1687334794516.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 37

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
I did a bit of research and there are a number of videos on Youtube that fairly convincingly demonstrate they are pretty useless
I think so. If they're CO2-based, any wind just blows the CO2 away and brings new oxygen. And when there's a fire, there is a lot of air movement. They only make sense in an enclosed space, I think.

But I'm not an expert.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@emayou are correct in saying that they aren't effective if it is windy, but the warning on using CO2 is that it shouldn't be used in a confined space due to the obvious hazards, you can't win either way 🙄

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This year has been interesting on the CSR from all reports, lots of growth and potential for fires, now...its raining 😆
Goodness me! the overgrowth in that photo possibly warrants a bumper sticker "I got pinstriped on the CSR" !!

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
I’ve fitted a 2L Firexo (all fires) extinguisher behind the drivers seat and attached to the cargo barrier on my two seat utility wagon

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Two issues: 1. remove the oxygen and 2. take heat out of the burning material.
The Element does the first with the wood fire...sort of.
It's why the water-based DIY "misting foam" with the detergent mix can be effective... the vaporisation of the water mix saps heat energy as well as depriving the oxygen source....
Hope I'm not stating the bleedin' obvious...but it's why the powder extinguishers are often useless.

One more issue: Re @Mumblepants photo in post #4 :
With respect--- in a frontal collision, you won't want the fire extinguisher breaking loose and damaging the passenger's legs from behind as it canons forward. Far better for the extinguisher to be properly secured behind a cargo barrier...

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Two issues: 1. remove the oxygen and 2. take heat out of the burning material.
The Element does the first with the wood fire...sort of.
It's why the water-based DIY "misting foam" with the detergent mix can be effective... the vaporisation of the water mix saps heat energy as well as depriving the oxygen source....
Hope I'm not stating the bleedin' obvious...but it's why the powder extinguishers are often useless.

One more issue: in a frontal collision, you won't want the fire extinguisher breaking loose and damaging the passenger's legs from behind as it canons forward. Far better for the extinguisher to be properly secured behind a cargo barrier...
Always been my concern with footwell mounted extinguishers, 2kgs of metal encapsulated dry chem going one way, the vehicle the other....you in between 😱

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
Well said.

The photo in post #23 gor me. 😲

Back
Top Bottom