The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Engine revs limited in “Park”

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
Right I don’t think I have seen this mentioned anywhere else.

I have a petrol UK version.

I decided to try out the exhaust sound the other day whilst sat on the drive so I revved the engine, that’s when I realised the car won’t rev past 3000rpm in park or neutral.

Don’t get me wrong, the car is fine in drive and goes well, so I don’t think there is anything wrong with the engine.

This has me thinking, is this just me who has this and there is something stopping it going any higher or is it a conscious limiter put in by IA.

I decided to take it for a good drive, thinking it could be because the engine was cold (made sense), but nope. Still the same.

Anyone else noticed this ?

Is this a modern engine thing ? my other cars are older and don’t have anything like this on them.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
@Trialmaster cheers buddy.

I thought it had to be that, and it was to stop engine damage and/or annoying driving methods.

Clearly I am showing my age and the age of the other vehicles in the family. 😝

I still feel a bit robbed as once (in a blue moon) I like to give my car a good rev. I just wanted to hear the little bit of exhaust cackle 😆

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:07 AM
Reaction score
I thought it had to be that, and it was to stop engine damage and/or annoying driving methods.

Clearly I am showing my age and the age of the other vehicles in the family. 😝

I still feel a bit robbed as once (in a blue moon) I like to give my car a good rev. I just wanted to hear the little bit of exhaust cackle 😆
Even in my 1960s Benzes , they warned against over revving in neutral. Those German engineers know a thing or tow about not blowing up engines!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:07 PM
Reaction score
Right I don’t think I have seen this mentioned anywhere else.

I have a petrol UK version.

I decided to try out the exhaust sound the other day whilst sat on the drive so I revved the engine, that’s when I realised the car won’t rev past 3000rpm in park or neutral.

Don’t get me wrong, the car is fine in drive and goes well, so I don’t think there is anything wrong with the engine.

This has me thinking, is this just me who has this and there is something stopping it going any higher or is it a conscious limiter put in by IA.

I decided to take it for a good drive, thinking it could be because the engine was cold (made sense), but nope. Still the same.

Anyone else noticed this ?

Is this a modern engine thing ? my other cars are older and don’t have anything like this on them.
What are you doing revving a cold engine anyway? May be OK with modern engines but I was brought up never hard rev a cold engine

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
What are you doing revving a cold engine anyway? May be OK with modern engines but I was brought up never hard rev a cold engine

Clearly I wasn’t revving it was I, well not above 3000rpm 😆

Contrary to popular belief, I am not a complete idiot and I am quite sympathetic to my vehicles and look after them.

Hence the reason I had the IG for nearly three months before I actually realised it wouldn’t go above 3k

Whoever gave you the advice on not OVER revving a cold engine was right.

Now, what’s people’s thoughts on the debate around letting an engine idle to warm up, over starting it and just driving off ??

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Gone are the good old days of pouring Redex into the carb and revving huge white clouds out of the exhaust...😔

Absolute hooligan, I am surprised they don’t throw you off that island 😆

Were those the days, if your car had headrests it was considered to be a real Gucci motor ?? If it had a rev counter then you were just showing off !!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I always did let my high revving modern jap bikes warm up to 2/3rds op temp before setting off. Was told not to let modern diesels idle when cold and give them some load from the off. Not sure where I read that, prob am Audi manual or something.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Now, what’s people’s thoughts on the debate around letting an engine idle to warm up, over starting it and just driving off ??
Carburetted engines may benefit from a warmup. I get into my 60s Benzes with original twin carbs , start up and just drive off. The automatic choke does what it's supposed to do. If I tried to push too hard too early it will splutter as the fuel isn't properly atomising. After 1km driving it's ripe and ready even in winter. And old Landy needs to warm up via the manual choke.
My last century Porsches with K jetronic (non electronic) fuel injection I just start and drive. But I won't rev them over 4000rpm until the temp reaches the first mark on the gauge.
They require last century oils with high film strength and added zinc.
Modern cars with computerised fuel injection you can just start and drive.
The tolerances are different/better to/than old cars.
All engines work most efficiently when the oil is up to operating temperature. They have been designed to work that way.
And they will last longer if a little warmup period is respected.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Clearly I wasn’t revving it was I, well not above 3000rpm 😆

Contrary to popular belief, I am not a complete idiot and I am quite sympathetic to my vehicles and look after them.

Hence the reason I had the IG for nearly three months before I actually realised it wouldn’t go above 3k

Whoever gave you the advice on not OVER revving a cold engine was right.

I never let a car warm up before driving off, I just don't use my right foot for a few miles.

Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
Absolute hooligan, I am surprised they don’t throw you off that island 😆

Were those the days, if your car had headrests it was considered to be a real Gucci motor ?? If it had a rev counter then you were just showing off !!
Christ almighty you guys make me feel young ;)
Is there a senior discount when buying a grenny ? ;)

AWo

Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
Yes, it's a soft limiter preventing the car being revved when stationary. Most cars are the same these days. Cannot rev the car until in Drive.
Interesting. When cars in Germany go to the "Hauptuntersuchung" (MOT), the engine revs are increased while stationary for the exhaust emission tests. I don't know how high the eingine will be revved as the Engineer checking the car is told when and how it needs to be revved by the test computer. However, it must work somehow as otherwise no modern car would be on the road anymore after three years (new cars in Germany had to go to the MOD after three years, then every two years).

AWo

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, it's a soft limiter preventing the car being revved when stationary. Most cars are the same these days. Cannot rev the car until in Drive.
Really? Maybe that is not something I have seen in Oz - all the cars I have driven recently can rev right up in park... even my 2023 DMAX!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
hahaha

Are you living in one of those retirement home communities hahaha :D
I live in the original area, section 1, of Toogoom which were holiday houses that people retired to and goes back to the 1800's, with larger 1200 square metre blocks or larger.
No town sewer but does have town water. Satellite internet
Section 2 is about 10-30 years old , 500-800 square metre blocks full amenities,
Section 3 is 1-10 years old 450-600 square metre blocks, full amenities, larger houses.

There are no apartments, town houses or high rises.
All dwellings are houses.
While 49% of the population claim to be some religion there are no churches for at least 20-30 kms

1693334172589.png

1693333975651.png

Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone seen. how fast they go in reverse ?? stupid question you may say but . I was following friend in his reactor down our narrow lane home he had to reverse to wet someone pass the tractor could reverse at over 10MPH my cars computer would only let me reverse at 8MPH when questioned the dealer said thats how fast it goes.

Back
Top Bottom