The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Don't buy a Grenadier (Steering pump noise and HVAC issues)

IdahoGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
I've loved everything about the philosophy behind the Grenadier. 1,500 miles in and it's great off-road, looks great on road, and tows 6k pounds like a dream. I was willing to overlook the embarrassingly bad software that means button presses don't get recognized, it takes 30 seconds every time to turn off the speed clicker, and Android Auto disconnects every time you cross a lane line without the turn signal on.

But I've got to say you shouldn't buy one. My power steering pump makes a horrible whine that keeps me from driving with the windows down. (A separate whistle from the blend door prevents running the AC on full.) I get so many great comments when the engine is off. But when it's running, everyone asks me about the embarrassing, obviously-not-right whine from the pump. IA has told my dealer it's normal, even though some of them don't make it and no other vehicle I've ever heard makes this sound unless the lines weren't bled or the vane is going out.

Others on the forum have the same problem. Unlike the software and blend door, which IA acknowledges and promises a future fix, they are refusing to consider this obvious defect a problem. And that means the warranty is not worth anything.

So I gotta say regretfully, if you are on the fence, don't buy it.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:44 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I've loved everything about the philosophy behind the Grenadier. 1,500 miles in and it's great off-road, looks great on road, and tows 6k pounds like a dream. I was willing to overlook the embarrassingly bad software that means button presses don't get recognized, it takes 30 seconds every time to turn off the speed clicker, and Android Auto disconnects every time you cross a lane line without the turn signal on.

But I've got to say you shouldn't buy one. My power steering pump makes a horrible whine that keeps me from driving with the windows down. (A separate whistle from the blend door prevents running the AC on full.) I get so many great comments when the engine is off. But when it's running, everyone asks me about the embarrassing, obviously-not-right whine from the pump. IA has told my dealer it's normal, even though some of them don't make it and no other vehicle I've ever heard makes this sound unless the lines weren't bled or the vane is going out.

Others on the forum have the same problem. Unlike the software and blend door, which IA acknowledges and promises a future fix, they are refusing to consider this obvious defect a problem. And that means the warranty is not worth anything.

I think you need to push back against IA and your dealer.

Video your vehicle and a Grenadier without the whine and create a small YouTube video. Leave the date and timestamp on. Leave it as unlisted and send a link to IA and the dealer, and tell them that when it fails, you expect an immediate replacement. Tell them both they are on the clock for the Lemon Laws, too, (assuming you have them).

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
Most of us have no significant issues. I might start a "totally happy and you must buy a Grenadier" thread 😁
You are flying the Union Flag - are you back in blighty again??

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:44 PM
Reaction score
You ate flying the Union Flag - are you back in blighty again??
I'm having a coffee awaiting the cave tour 4km from Doolin, the epicentre of trad Irish music , after walking the Cliffs of Moher on a self guide walk tour. Aran island of Inishmore yesterday 20km on foot.
Today's "rest day" is the 4km walk to see Europe's largest stalactite.
Having a whale of a time but
we're missing our marvellous Grenadier!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Most of us have no significant issues. I might start a "totally happy and you must buy a Grenadier" thread 😁
I think one has to register IdahoGrenadiers disappointment and frustration. Most of us are having very little problem but for those that have spent the same amount of money and received a very different experience, it must be gruelling, especially if being ignored by Ineos. I would be tempted to try out a different dealer. They should know if it is normal or not. My vehicle makes no noises that I wouldn’t expect.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think one has to register IdahoGrenadiers disappointment and frustration. Most of us are having very little problem but for those that have spent the same amount of money and received a very different experience, it must be gruelling, especially if being ignored by Ineos. I would be tempted to try out a different dealer. They should know if it is normal or not. My vehicle makes no noises that I wouldn’t expect.
There are more issues for some people and I'd be sure pissed if I were the OP. I find the driving comfort level (seat lumbar lack of support, small range of tilt and reach and massive footwell intrusion) to be abysmal compared to every car I have ever owned. However driving performance is excellent and wife loves it so is the only reason I'm keeping it. If you get a fault free vehicle then I'm pretty sure you will love it overall. Hey a gremlin truck... yeh nar 120K I'd headache and misery!

hoohoohama

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:44 AM
Reaction score
IMO, it takes a while to learn and live with a Grenadier. Given that it is so new, there is a list of small and mostly benign issues that once you accept them and know what they are (from this forum), you just ignore and focus on the happy part of driving, and it is very much enjoyable in every ride.

There are also more serious issues, but fortunately, only been experienced by very few of us so far, for these types of issues, you will need to be able to leave the vehicle behind at the dealer far away for an extended period sometimes without a loaner vehicle. Patience seems to be the requirement, and you probably need another vehicle for your daily usage. The good thing is that (at least I do hope so) all the fixes will be covered by the 5-year warranty, and we have 5 years to decide if it is worth holding onto forever.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think one has to register IdahoGrenadiers disappointment and frustration.
Yes , but we don't need yet another influencer thread.
Maybe just a "general grumble" thread. Or "cranky thread" for those that speak the NA language :)
I'm not sure this is the place to name and shame agents/dealers.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe just a "general grumble" thread. Or "cranky thread" for those that speak the NA language :)
Hi Tazzieman
Not suggesting any dealer be named and shamed. Just check out another dealer.
To me, IdahoGrenadiers post read in a genuine manner. We need to hear of the issues as well as the successes. Jean Mercier has also had lots of problems if I remember correctly. Jean reports these things in a more sanguine manner, but we can't all be so philosophical.
Thankfully, you and me have no problems with our Grenadiers. :cool:

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
Dealer reviews are incredibly important. However they must be accurate and honest. There’s an entire section for this in the dealer directory.

Also INEOS need the dealer feedback from customers, both good and bad to then give back to the dealers and help guide them to do better by the customer and to use as an example to the rest of the network when they get things right. (You’ll see something more formal on this front really soon)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:44 AM
Reaction score
Who is "we"? I don't think you can speak for others.

And unless there is proof, I wouldn't just dismiss this as an influencer thread. There are too many reports about the issue.

What I think: If I had such an unacceptable noise on a new vehicle, and manufacturer and dealer kept telling me it was "normal", then I would really freak out.

I can only recommend setting a deadline for repairs and then getting a lawyer. Of course this will cost money. But there doesn't seem to be any other way - and living with it is not an option.

Unbelievable.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
Mine too make a high pitch whine that is very noticeable at idle. I figured its because the power steering pump is electric and not belt driven. I agree with blender fan and the high pitch whistle. It is quite obnoxious. I have just decided what settings I can or can't use when on high to avoid this issue. And although annoying, they aren't faults that I feel warrant not buying a vehicle.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

What is a "blend door"?

Jeroendecker

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:44 AM
Reaction score

That is quite strange @IdahoGrenadier . I had the same problem albeit not as intrusive as what you describe. I first thought it was the AC, but the dealer told me problem with the pump and they are replacing it. Maybe formally complain to Ineos directly?

Back
Top Bottom