The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Diesel Oil Specification Thread (B57 Engines)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
For Aus. diesel owners (probably relevant to Africa and Europe also):
Received the following advice today from Brisbane dealer for B57 oil top up/ replacement:
  • Fuchs TITAN GT1 LL-12 FE SAE 0W-30 BMW LL-12 FE
  • Valvoline SYNPOWER LL-12 FE 0W-30 FULL SYNTHETIC ACEA C2 BMW LL12FE
  • LIQUI MOLY TOP TEC 6100 0W-30 ACEA C2 API SN BMW LL-12FE

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Changed the oil and filter this arvo. And cut the grass!

odo at 1825 miles. Stuck in 7.150litres of Valvoline bmw spec 0w-30. May well change spec after warranty period and go down the 0w-40 but until then will stick with what's stated.

On road oil check said '0k', off road wanted 500ml more. Exactly what it said before I changed it.

You'll need as said before a 32mm socket, universal joint, 17mm socket and a cup of tea.
thanks for the tips, changed mine on the road... 7.1 litres but pre soaked the filter. On road and off road OK. Did note sump plug wasn't tight to undo at all.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
thanks for the tips, changed mine on the road... 7.1 litres but pre soaked the filter. On road and off road OK. Did note sump plug wasn't tight to undo at all.
Did you purchase oil and filter from dealer or just the filter etc....?approx. price?

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stumbled across this 2021 article referenced on a BMW forum that people might find of interest.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did you purchase oil and filter from dealer or just the filter etc....?approx. price?
Filters from dealer, price unknown at present as going on to an account.. they couldn't get the oil in for me in time as I was departing for a trip but from liquimoly 0-30 6100 as ineos approved from automotive superstore $109 for 5l.... need 2, free post. Kept receipts of oil used. Would prefer 5-30 but not on the dealers recommended list.

20231204_084430.jpg

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was talking to my mechanic about the IG when I got the 200 service and started talking oils. He was of the view that the 0 oils were probably a bit too thin for hot and or humid conditions and would probably look at running a 5.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was talking to my mechanic about the IG when I got the 200 service and started talking oils. He was of the view that the 0 oils were probably a bit too thin for hot and or humid conditions and would probably look at running a 5.
True enough.. problem is that Ineos Australia have only given their dealers the 0-30 spec oil as the recommended type. (despite the manual saying 0/5-30 for the B57)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
Is this required?

I've never changed the oil on a car with an open filter - I think most American cars (and the Fit too) use the spin-on types.

1701690843185.png

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Why pre soak an oil filter?
I guess it's something I've grown up with about bringing oil pressure up as quickly as possible - soak the filter medium.... there's literally heaps of info/arguments around bad, good or otherwise - some more scientific than opinion. Perhaps best to do a little research but it's quick, particlarly with the paper medium exposed rather than encased and it's just become part of my routine.

Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
I guess it's something I've grown up with about bringing oil pressure up as quickly as possible - soak the filter medium.... there's literally heaps of info/arguments around bad, good or otherwise - some more scientific than opinion. Perhaps best to do a little research but it's quick, particlarly with the paper medium exposed rather than encased and it's just become part of my routine.
Why pre soak an oil filter?
From training and experience, there is nothing but disappointment when you hand a customer a set of heavily contaminated main bearings and a scored crank shaft and ask "Who does your servicing?"
If people are going to prefill, soak filters use a jug out of the kitchen cupboard for the oil and fill the unfiltered side of the filter because that container you just found in the shed and wiped clean with that cleanish rag and filled with new oil will likely do more damage then fitting a dry filter every service.

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hey crew,
Just a quick question which I haven’t seen covered.
How long would you endeavour to take it easy on the engine before giving it a bit more beans?
I do drive sympathetically but on occasion you need get out of someone’s way/show the “insert BMW/Mercedes/Audi” driver you’re not to be pushed around.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey crew,
How long would you endeavour to take it easy on the engine before giving it a bit more beans?
I do drive sympathetically but on occasion you need get out of someone’s way/show the “insert BMW/Mercedes/Audi” driver you’re not to be pushed around.
All a personal call with modern engines. I've just ticked above 2000 miles and have not yet given it any real welly. Definitely seems to have loosened up a bit and I changed oil and filter at 1800 miles. Always good to fluctuate revs/speed/power rather than sot for 2hrs in same trough.

Will slowly give it more upto 3500-5000 and then consider it 'run in'.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey crew,
Once the engine has loosened up (say 5k miles at varying engine speed), the occasional burst of speed doesn't hurt. However, the important issue is to firstly ensure that the engine oil temp is up to "operating temp" ... not just the water temperature...
PS with AWD, wet days are best :devilish:

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All a personal call with modern engines. I've just ticked above 2000 miles and have not yet given it any real welly. Definitely seems to have loosened up a bit and I changed oil and filter at 1800 miles. Always good to fluctuate revs/speed/power rather than sot for 2hrs in same trough.

Brilliant, thank you. I may have been a bit eager then at around 1,500 miles

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Did you do your oil change yourself?

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
Today after 9937 km, be advised to fill up 0.5l OilIMG_6201.jpegIMG_6202.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom