The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Curve ball

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
Well I just had a curve ball slammed my way
My company has decided they want all senior managers to be based in the Sydney office which is a short 1,200km drive away
Kind of makes the daily commute a pain.
So I need to relocate or take a redundancy package of about $60,000, before tax.
I left Sydney in 1987 because it was too crowded and too expensive
Since then the population in Sydney has gone from 2.5 million to 5.2 million
Now I really need to sell my house
Difficult getting a job when you are over 60

1676395950791.png

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:39 PM
Reaction score
Not cool. Sorry to hear that you’ve been put in that rock and hard place dilemma. My goal is to get away from people in retirement, not move closer!

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:39 PM
Reaction score
How about a new start as an off road Grenadier tour/ expedition guide. Explore and set up the assisted routes then guide numptys like me! I for one would be willing to pay for it in the uk, I bet there are tons of people in Australia who would be interested.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How about a new start as an off road Grenadier tour/ expedition guide. Explore and set up the assisted routes then guide numptys like me! I for one would be willing to pay for it in the uk, I bet there are tons of people in Australia who would be interested.
I just sent a message to Justin Hocevar asking him for a job

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
Well I just had a curve ball slammed my way
My company has decided they want all senior managers to be based in the Sydney office which is a short 1,200km drive away
Time to become General Manager of that booth?😠

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe I can become chief sausage cooker
I have owned companies in the past
that is a small trailer that I could tow behind the Grenadier and all up cost $14,000 plus food

1676399768363.png

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Good luck Dave! I'm sure some remote work will become available for someone with your experience as you look.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Time to become General Manager of that booth?😠
Too young and poor to retire
I have noticed that your lifestyle and costs often grow to meet your income.
Once I sell the house and move to the country I will only need 20% of the money I currently need each month or less.
We shall see

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe I can become chief sausage cooker
I have owned companies in the past
that is a small trailer that I could tow behind the Grenadier and all up cost $14,000 plus food

View attachment 7803274
Dave’s Weiner Wagon!

marko

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, what a curve ball that's a horrible way to treat loyal senior staff. Hope you get to sort some kind of compromise with your company or get hired by a company with a more sympathetic culture.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I see they are looking for someone to collect the shopping trolleys from the local Bunnings Hardware carpark.
$45/hour.
At least I would lose some weight.
that's 26 Inglish punds - I know it's all relative but an NHS nurse gets £10.37 per hour (first out) according to this;

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
that's 26 Inglish punds - I know it's all relative but an NHS nurse gets £10.37 per hour (first out) according to this;

Oddly enough when I saw quote I was thinking, I would be pushing trolleys round that car park in my retirement. Crazy money for that job !!

Sorry to hear your plight Dave, the redundancy package doesn’t sound that great either. I went to Sydney in 2004 and I didn’t like it as much a Melbourne back then.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
Too young and poor to retire
I have noticed that your lifestyle and costs often grow to meet your income.
Absolutely! And I bet they'll adjust accordingly if there's less money available. And most likely one will recognize that quality of life and lifestyle don't always correlate...
Once I sell the house and move to the country I will only need 20% of the money I currently need each month or less.
We shall see
Moving to the country, my big dream! Cities are heavily overrated anyway. You take the everyday pain they deliver, but you rarely use them...

What about starting your own business? AFAIR you have engineering background? This should give you some options. In fact, my colleagues and me started our business just because we were sickof being pushed around by random damagement decisions every other month.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Pay is pretty high here but so are costs
Coincidently a first year registered nurse in Australia gets $45.79 per hour base, same as a trolley collector.
That is in the public hospital system
Private pays better
1676402591966.png1676402733835.png

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
That’s a bugger Dave, I’ve had a couple of those thrown at me over the years and they have been a wrench but ultimately have worked in my favour, however I have to say mostly they where at earlier stages of life. Now where I am, not far behind you in age, I like you am looking forward to moving the opposite direction back up to the Sunshine Coast away from Sydney at this stage of life, so this would be very unwelcome.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That’s a bugger Dave, I’ve had a couple of those thrown at me over the years and they have been a wrench but ultimately have worked in my favour, however I have to say mostly they where at earlier stages of life. Now where I am, not far behind you in age, I like you am looking forward to moving the opposite direction back up to the Sunshine Coast away from Sydney at this stage of life, so this would be very unwelcome.
Thanks.
I have been lucky and only happened once before many years ago.
It is a bit of a wake up call
Yesterday everything was good, I was planning on staying with this company for next 6 years until I retired and getting paid $240,000 a year.
Today I am looking at jobs paying 40% of that and just know they will be saying I am overqualified and then not saying (but thinking) that I am too old.
I hired a 62 year old many years ago for a technical internal sales role. He had been looking for almost 2 years.
He was the most reliable and experienced worker I had in a young team.

Back
Top Bottom