The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Curve ball

baders

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
Hi Dave. Funnily enough in my line of work I have used products from every company you've worked for (Electrical Manager/Instrumentation in mining, oil and gas). I'm approaching 60 and was going to fully retire. The company wanted me to stay on so came back with an offer of casual work in a similar role but more projects focussed. I have agreed to this but on a much reduced roster and also working from home. Perhaps this could be an option ?

PS. I'm heading for Fraser Island in August this year to resume our much beloved yearly fishing adventure (hopefully in the IG).

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:27 PM
Reaction score
Bad news, really. Life has it's own ideas ...

Just ideas:
  • first of all, register to a freelancer portal. They have many offers, and to my experience, one or two of one hundred is usually worth a try
  • offer your company to work as a freelancer / consultant. Your experience is worth something.
  • offer any other company which is closer to you to work as a freelancer / consultant
  • rent an apartment in Sidney and fly there weekly for three working days = two overnight stays. A hotel might be a choice if you 'buy' 100 nights / year. That's what I did in Italy for twelve years. Perhaps the company accepts, and you can work from your home office for the rest of the week,
  • start something new. But I have no idea about the Australian market. Being a tourist guide will for sure not yield the income you're used to. But employing 10 tourist guides might be a bit better.
Or: retire. I'd do the maths and check what's possible. Not having to work any more is worth some sacrifices. Always keep in mind that you don't even know whether you'll be still alive tomorrow.

It is a bit of a wake up call

Yes, maybe it is.

It may be better to have a few happy years off at a lower level than to work until the end and die a rich man.

I would call it a new perspective.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks
Currently National Product Manager til the end of the week responsible for flowmeters, level pressure and Gamma instrumentation
I have previously been National Sales Manager, State Manager, General Manager, Managing Director and Sales Rep mostly in the Electrical/Instrumentation sales industry
Small world - 7 mutual connections.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Friend and colleague of mine who has worked in ED for 35 years always says "People worry about running out of money when they should be worried about running out of time"
I'm scaling back and have no regrets about reduced income.
When you get to 60 and see your contemporaries starting to fall like trees...
As Jim Ratcliffe says , make as many days unforgettable as you can.
Or as I like to say , keep creating memories.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Dave. Funnily enough in my line of work I have used products from every company you've worked for (Electrical Manager/Instrumentation in mining, oil and gas). I'm approaching 60 and was going to fully retire. The company wanted me to stay on so came back with an offer of casual work in a similar role but more projects focussed. I have agreed to this but on a much reduced roster and also working from home. Perhaps this could be an option ?

PS. I'm heading for Fraser Island in August this year to resume our much beloved yearly fishing adventure (hopefully in the IG).
Sounds good to me/

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
I am an original member of LinkedIn and have just over 26,000 contacts
Then put out the word. I’m sure a few will come up with something interesting, dare I say it refreshing. It may even rattle your present company to sharpen their pencil with regards to your personal situation. If you think you’re on the way out, it can’t hurt to hold their feet to the fire a little before you leave the building.

I did something similar to as @emax suggested. In my case between la and Germany…… it was good for a while until other circumstances dictated I move full time to U.S.A.

If you want a non paying job running a portion of a forum where everyone goes off topic, then I know a guy ;)

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Opened this thinking ineos were hitting us a curve ball on top of a delay or something.... Phew.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Acknowledged, but then again “friends we made along the way” etc

View attachment 7803381
A platypus playing the keytar I'm well acquainted with , but am yet to see a live beaver playing a Flying V.
Ducks and keyboards? Meh , they're everywhere on Tik Tok!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:27 PM
Reaction score
Don't forget 7 Apr is International Beaver Day

hug a beaver and be kind

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time