The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CTEK Smartpass120 vs Smartpass120S

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:11 PM
Reaction score
For in-car charging, why would one choose to use the 250SE over the Smartpass120S?

Apart from the additional solar input in the 250SE, the 250SE can only charge at up to 20A, whereas the 120S can charge at 120A. Is solar the only reason, as the 120S has 5-fold the charging rate.

When combined the 250SE + 120S can charge at upto 140A with 20A solar input. Why then would someone use say the RedArc 1250D which can only charge at 50A. Is the ability to charge at 50A via solar in the RedArc the main reason?

All these options are doing my head in!
Firstly, I chose the BCDC50 as I have a lithium battery with a standard charge rate of 100amps and have foundfor my usagethat its perfect. Each set up is different based on indivdual needs and battery chemistry/charge rating.

etbandit

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
Firstly, I chose the BCDC50 as I have a lithium battery with a standard charge rate of 100amps and have foundfor my usagethat its perfect. Each set up is different based on indivdual needs and battery chemistry/charge rating.
So would the 250SE/120S combo with upto 140A of charging not be suitable to be used with your lithium battery, given that your battery has a charge rate of 100A?

Or would the 250SE/120S combo detect this and reduce its charging to suit your battery?

Many thanks for your replies.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:11 PM
Reaction score
So would the 250SE/120S combo with upto 140A of charging not be suitable to be used with your lithium battery, given that your battery has a charge rate of 100A?

Or would the 250SE/120S combo detect this and reduce its charging to suit your battery?

Many thanks for your replies.
It's the battery BMS that limits the charge rate in lithium. The Redarc is one unit, which I feel is better and a better use of space.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
INEOS have done a really good job, allowing you to:
  1. easily install accessories;
  2. add a solar input (with the CTEK 250SE);
  3. add a second battery; and
  4. it is not that hard to convert to Lithium.
Way better than any other standard 4x4 coming from the showroom. The two busbars will make things so much easier.

I found out more about the busbars today, look here with pictures inside the busbar.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:11 AM
Reaction score
In my two seat utility I have the dual battery system inc Ctek 120s smartpass and according to the manual the IMG_1634.jpegsmall red lead attached to the smartpass should connect to the alternator if you have a smart alternator which I assume the Grenadier does. In our Grenadier the red lead is treminated with shrink tube and only the earth lead from the coiled up cable is connected to the auxiliary battery earth terminal. Could other forum members that have the dual battery system check to see how theirs is wired up. I’ve sent an email to my dealer to try and clarify if it is correctly wired.IMG_0276.jpeg

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is what Blacksheep have done

Solarerweiterung%20Ineos%20Grenadier%2002%20-%20Black%20Sheep%20Innovations%20GmbH-min.jpg

Reactions: PBD

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve had this reply back from Ineos and it seems the Ctek smartpass can be wired with this configuration although it is a different wiring set up than in that of the Ctek manual.
A pleased that I got a prompt reply. Well done Harwoods and Ineos. IMG_0277.jpeg

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:11 AM
Reaction score
I am still thinking whether it will be possible to use one of the roof outlets as an inlet for solar power. Anyone smarter than me has an idea whether that could work?
Did anyone already managed to get this done or to pull additional cabels through the existing outlets in the roof?

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When INEOS talks about the Prefuse Box above, is that the inline battery fuse box for the aux battery or the aux battery busbar. I think it means the 300 amp inline MEGA fuse.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
When INEOS talks about the Prefuse Box above, is that the inline battery fuse box for the aux battery or the aux battery busbar. I think it means the 300 amp inline MEGA fuse.
I think it's talking about the 5 way Littel fusebox, although the language is confusing, it could also that the harnesses are those that run from the AFB (auxiliary fuse box).

Back
Top Bottom