The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CTEK SMARTPASS 120S and 250SE DC to DC charger basic features and install information

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:20 AM
Reaction score
I did not know that DCPU. Do you know where i can find that?
There is a 40 amp circuit in the battery compartment, with bare wires, if you choose the aux power option. It can handle a single ARB compressor, but a twin ARB compressor requires two 40 amp fuses.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is a 40 amp circuit in the battery compartment, with bare wires, if you choose the aux power option. It can handle a single ARB compressor, but a twin ARB compressor requires two 40 amp fuses.
DocAUS are these the wires and do you use the black and brown wires?
1693900189205.png

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Could you explain how you used the signal wire from the 40a supply in the battery compartment. I’m aware where the 40supply is for the compressor that seems to be permanently live but I can’t get my head around how you used that signal wire to turn on the rear solenoid for the nato plug. Thanks 👍🏼
There are 3 wires as below in the battery compartment to run a compressor. Two wires carry +12v and negative. The third smaller wire is a 12v 'ignition on' signal wire intended to activate a relay (to power up a compressor or similar).

I have not touched the +12v or negative at this stage as I do not require them.

I took the 'ignition on' signal wire from this location to the + side of the Albright solenoid located behind the back right panel as this solenoid is used to power up the Nato plug (via whatever steps to turn on the winch)

Remove the '+12v in' small signal wire of the Albright solenoid (green wire in my vehicle) and safely tape it up. Replace this with the signal wire from the compressor.

When you start the car you will activate the Albright solenoid and have power at the Nato.

Yes the Nato will always be live when your car is running but I prefer it this way to power my van and most Anderson plugs in Aus will be wired similarly. Note that I have the front winch installed and perhaps consider replacing the fuse on this Nato circuit to suit your purpose.

Image of taking up (compressor) ignition signal wire from battery compartment.
compressor wire 1.jpg

Image of replacing green + signal wire on the Albright solenoid with the compressor signal wire (that is now the smaller red wire). Spade connector is used on the solenoid. Note this isn't the finished product - tidied it up a little later.
solenoid wire.jpg

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
There are 3 wires as below in the battery compartment to run a compressor. Two wires carry +12v and negative. The third smaller wire is a 12v 'ignition on' signal wire intended to activate a relay (to power up a compressor or similar).

I have not touched the +12v or negative at this stage as I do not require them.

I took the 'ignition on' signal wire from this location to the + side of the Albright solenoid located behind the back right panel as this solenoid is used to power up the Nato plug (via whatever steps to turn on the winch)

Remove the '+12v in' small signal wire of the Albright solenoid (green wire in my vehicle) and safely tape it up. Replace this with the signal wire from the compressor.

When you start the car you will activate the Albright solenoid and have power at the Nato.

Yes the Nato will always be live when your car is running but I prefer it this way to power my van and most Anderson plugs in Aus will be wired similarly. Note that I have the front winch installed.

Image of taking up (compressor) ignition signal wire from battery compartment.
View attachment 7826033

Image of replacing green + signal wire on the Albright solenoid with the compressor signal wire (that is now the smaller red wire). Spade connector is used on the solenoid. Note this isn't the finished product - tidied it up a little later.
View attachment 7826034
Brilliant thankyou. 🙏🏼

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mid rear of the battery compartment. 3 wires. (I've attached a red wire to the signal wire. Other 2 wires are 12v + and -)

View attachment 7826037
If I’m thinking correctly then that signal wire that is live when the ignition is on could be used to connect the smartpass or Ctek D250SE smart alternator cable if so required. 🤔

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If I’m thinking correctly then that signal wire that is live when the ignition is on could be used to connect the smartpass or Ctek D250SE smart alternator cable if so required. 🤔
Correct. Before I connect the Ctek to signal I'll see how it all performs however Ctek did state 'if you don't know if your car has a smart alternator or not then just connect the signal wire'. (and it'll use it or not) Thing for me is I can't finish off the car as I'm chasing the missing pins from the 13 trailer socket (or find a cut off socket that I can scavenge the pins from and re-use - quite frustrating.)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Correct. Before I connect the Ctek to signal I'll see how it all performs however Ctek did state 'if you don't know if your car has a smart alternator or not then just connect the signal wire'. (and it'll use it or not) Thing for me is I can't finish off the car as I'm chasing the missing pins from the 13 trailer socket (or find a cut off socket that I can scavenge the pins from and re-use - quite frustrating.)
I’m not doing anything to my Grenadier until after I’ve lived with it for a few months. Just saving up all the ideas in my head before deciding what to do.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One thing slightly puzzles me. The control feed for the Albright solenoid is switched by an earlier relay which is rated at 30A.

The control feed for the compressor can't be providing that sort of current for a 40A circuit.

Edit: Scratch that ~ just checked and the winch pre-relay output is fused at just 5A.

Last edited:

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One thing slightly puzzles me. The control feed for the Albright solenoid is switched by an earlier relay which is rated at 30A.

The control feed for the compressor can't be providing that sort of current for a 40A circuit.
DCPU I was just thinking about the gauge of those three wires set aside for the compressor. They are quite small so starting to wonder if they are meant to deliver the current needed for a compressor. Might have to take the 40A fuse out and meter it to see if it is in fact a direct connection to the 40A fuse.FL13

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
How much wading are you planning on doing that you will need a bilge pump and a fish finder????????
Have you seen that guy on 4x4 24/7 channel who actually has a bilge pump with outlet through the back window?
Some folk are just more committed than others!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
DCPU I was just thinking about the gauge of those three wires set aside for the compressor. They are quite small so starting to wonder if they are meant to deliver the current needed for a compressor. Might have to take the 40A fuse out and meter it to see if it is in fact a direct connection to the 40A fuse.FL13
I think that's already been done by @Logsplitter (and maybe others):
Post in thread 'Right Hand side auxiliary footwell 12V wire' https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...ry-footwell-12v-wire.12412344/post-1333185871

But it doesn't hurt to confirm for yourself before using them. Size wise they look OK to me for that current.

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:20 PM
Reaction score
My CTek 250SE arrived today. Im still a 1yr plus before my Grenadier shows up but i was able to save $100 by getting a open box from Amazon. Opened up the box( in mint condition) and it is brand new, no scrapes, no marks on the bolts, manual in perfect condition. I feel like someone ordered it from Amazon and sent it back because it wasn't what they needed. The package came from Amazon warehouse which just reprocesses the returns without looking at them. Rolled the dice and came up winner.

Now have two things for it, AA Wireless controller and the Ctek

Back
Top Bottom