The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Cost for US Market

Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
I bet they will sell the full quota no problems whatever the price.
And as stated before if they were in the same class as the Wrangler, Bronco & 4Runner I bet most of the people on this forum wouldn't be buying one.
High price and luxury don't necessarily go hand in hand.
Ineos are looking to sell a maximum of 45,000 per year worldwide.
Maybe 10,000-15,000 of those will be North America at most
Once the dual cab ute/pickup starts up that will sell like hotcakes in Australia and Africa, and take up a large share of that 45,000 vehicles.
We'll see. I have a hard time believing that someone here would buy a grenadier if it's more expensive than a Denali trim heavy duty diesel truck. Those that would spend that much would probably be looking at getting a gwagon instead. That's just too much money to spend on an unknown brand.

Local time
Reaction score
We'll see. I have a hard time believing that someone here would buy a grenadier if it's more expensive than a Denali trim heavy duty diesel truck. Those that would spend that much would probably be looking at getting a gwagon instead. That's just too much money to spend on an unknown brand.
100%.

Personally if it's a dollar over $80k for the spec I want, I'm out. I'm figuring mid 70s. Though...while I'll throw a tantrum if it's $80,023.48...I'll actually be somewhat relieved that they made the responsible decision for me. :ROFLMAO: Prices on LC200s are falling, and that's the back-up option (though in the near-term I'll just keep rolling the Sequoia while I pay everything else down). It'd be really hard to turn away from the IG, though, given that there's a near-zero chance to ever get into one at MSRP save for a used one down the road.

Local time
Reaction score
Personally if it's a dollar over $80k for the spec I want, I'm out. I'm figuring mid 70s.
I agree. While I'm hoping for high 60s, I can see Ineos selling the Trialmaster/Fieldmaster for $79k because they can. But above that? As others have said, there are a ton of options in the $80k-100k range and I struggle to justify purchasing an unproven, niche vehicle at that price point. Yes it's unique and looks great, but if I wanted to purchase a posh 4x4 then I'd buy a used G-Wagon recently off lease.

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The US configurator (I know, I know) still shows the base, non-Belstaff wagon as an build up option, hallelujah, BUT is now has the Smooth Pack pre-selected. It didn't use to be, right? I'm 🤞hoping🤞 that this points to the direction they're thinking; upping the base content for profit margin and production ease without forcing us into a Belstaff.

I'm 100% ok with this compromise.

Local time
Reaction score
The US configurator (I know, I know) still shows the base, non-Belstaff wagon as an build up option, hallelujah, BUT is now has the Smooth Pack pre-selected. It didn't use to be, right? I'm 🤞hoping🤞 that this points to the direction they're thinking; upping the base content for profit margin and production ease without forcing us into a Belstaff.

I'm sure some of us would agree that Belstaff jackets, while iconic, are ugly. 😬

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score

They upped the base specification in Australia to meet the market requirements.
Not by adding soft pack but by adding extra fuel filtration and catch can on the diesel.
There were a few other things they did as well but can't remember what they were.
Of course we were also uprated to the steel bumpers as standard
Not about making more profit, just meeting market requirements

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if the US versions are slightly higher spec from those offered in Europe/Sth Africa/Australia in terms of standard inclusions and higher engine output. I have no advanced info... just an observation that the very nature of the competitive US market seems to require "more" from 'foreign' imports so as to compete with locally produced offerings in a similar price range. Those with experience of imported Euro brands may be able to comment further ....

If they do that, they'll be going back on their previously stated commitment of having a global vehicle that is the same in Capetown as it is in California. Depending on how seriously they do that, it could be quite a shame and rule me out. I'm hopeful this is not the case though and they do keep one set of specs worldwide. I have not seen anything to suggest they will not.

As for price comparisons throughout the rest of the thread I have a few comments; the first supports the $70-$80k numbers folks have been discussing, but the other suggests it may come in a bit cheaper.

1) I think it was Dirk Heilman stated that we'd be "hard pressed" to go higher than $100k on a Grenadier in North America. This was a few months ago, but I took it to mean that even if you checked every box and option, you might just be at that $100k mark, if that. This means a standard build without a lot of fancy add-ons will be landing in the mid-70s to mid-80s range, I suspect, leaning slightly closer to the mid-80s when I consider the "typical" costs of the options from Ineos vs the costs when I select them from other manufacturers; I imagine Ineos isn't going to be thousands of dollars one way or the other relative to Jeep or Toyota for things like lockers and tires, and there looks to be about $15k worth of options and accessories give or take.

2) The other perspective is that vehicles aren't really priced on cost - they are priced on what the market will pay. So, to get a sense of what the Grenadier will cost in North America, we can do a bit of algebra and look at what the respective markets are paying for similar vehicles right now, and what those global differences are. I've put that into the chart below but I'm doing this in a rush so my sources my not be good and folks might want to double check these numbers; all numbers are converted and expressed in USD based on today's exchange rate.

LocationGrenadierJeepDefenderFord Ranger
USAN/A$58,490 (Source)$58,300 (Source)$30,460 (Source)
England$72,467$77,801 (Source)$77,635 (Source)$49,284 (Source)
Australia$66,164$66,164 (Source)$69,650 (Source)$39,109 (Source)

So based on the above chart, the Defender and Jeep are both proportionally priced in England and Australia when converted to USD. Essentially, both the Jeep and the Defender cost the same, relative to each other, in both the USA and the UK (they are both about 25% more expensive in the UK). The Jeep and Defender are also relatively very closely priced when comparing the Australian prices to the US prices, as they are about 14% more expensive in Australia than they are in the US, give or take 2%.

Based on that math, a USA Grenadier could be as much as 25% cheaper than a UK Grenadier, or as much as 14% cheaper than an Australian Grenadier, meaning it's prices would be at about $56,901 (relative to Aus pricing) or $54,350 (relative to UK pricing). One can hope, right?

However, the Ford Ranger does throw me for a bit of a loop as that particular car is almost 40% cheaper in the USA than it is in the UK, and it's 22% cheaper in the USA than it is in Australia, so the prices are not consistent with this model and when one considers an American car that is as much as 40% cheaper in America than it is in Europe, what does that mean for a European car being sold in America? (Hint: It means a $101,453.80 Grenadier based on UK pricing!)

Let's hope the earlier math is the correct stuff!!

DrahthHunter

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I bet they will sell the full quota no problems whatever the price.
And as stated before if they were in the same class as the Wrangler, Bronco & 4Runner I bet most of the people on this forum wouldn't be buying one.
High price and luxury don't necessarily go hand in hand.
Ineos are looking to sell a maximum of 45,000 per year worldwide.
Maybe 10,000-15,000 of those will be North America at most
Once the dual cab ute/pickup starts up that will sell like hotcakes in Australia and Africa, and take up a large share of that 45,000 vehicles.

Local time
Reaction score
Based on that math, a USA Grenadier could be as much as 25% cheaper than a UK Grenadier, or as much as 14% cheaper than an Australian Grenadier, meaning it's prices would be at about $56,901 (relative to Aus pricing) or $54,350 (relative to UK pricing). One can hope, right?
Someone posted an Excel spreadsheet of the AUS MY23 price list a few weeks ago. The site isn't allowing me to share a spreadsheet now (file type forbidden?) but a 14% market adjustment yields the following price estimates. One can hope indeed!

Grenadier AUS-USD Conversion with -14% Market AdjustmentSTATION WAGONTRIALMASTER EDITIONFIELDMASTER EDITION
Base Price$58,996.00$65,934.05$65,934.05

Local time
Reaction score
I had a Dainese jacket that saved me from serious injury and getting skin grafts. That will forever be my choice for riding.
Got several of those too. No complaints there. I like the Belstaff better for upright riding when I need to tote more things, be prepared for rain, off bike, etc.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
I had a Dainese jacket that saved me from serious injury and getting skin grafts. That will forever be my choice for riding.
Dainese leathers on road and sport bikes, Belstaff off road and trail bikes. Horses for courses...

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sure some of us would agree that Belstaff jackets, while iconic, are ugly. 😬
I'm a bit fluffy and not sure that they'd even fit. If they do fit, they would probably not look good on me. I have more jackets that I don't wear than I wear all winter. Don't really need another.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm a bit fluffy and not sure that they'd even fit. If they do fit, they would probably not look good on me. I have more jackets that I don't wear than I wear all winter. Don't really need another.
I have moved to wearing a vest here in seattle. Rain or no rain. Keep the core warm, the body will do the rest. I'll take a xxl large vest

Local time
Reaction score
Wait, so is the vehicle still supposed to come with a jacket if we order one of the packages? I thought they dropped that in the US.

Back
Top Bottom