The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Confusion with battery management

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I still don't understand it and can't find it clearly in the articles: The SMARTPASS 120S disconnects the starter battery from the service battery when the engine is not running. When the PWR switch is switched on, is the power drawn from the socket in the load compartment from the service battery or from the starter battery?
If the power comes from the service battery via PWR on, then it would be a two-battery system after all...?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
Everything comes from the primary (starter) battery. The smartpass uses the secondary battery to recharge the primary.

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Also of note: the smartpass will trickle charge the starter battery from the service battery while the car is off - allowing you to drain both batteries dead off of one draw source

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also of note: the smartpass will trickle charge the starter battery from the service battery while the car is off - allowing you to drain both batteries dead off of one draw source
Someone stated that it will stop when the service battery reaches 50%.

Unconfirmed.

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I heard that as well, but just skimmed the manual again and saw no mention of that when referring to trickle charging. It mentions the cutoff on the consumer post, but not when describing the trickle charge. Additionally, seeing as how there are a few first hand posts on this forum of people who have been able to leave themselves stranded, I’m inclined to not trust the setup without a jump pack.

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:41 AM
Reaction score
I heard that as well, but just skimmed the manual again and saw no mention of that when referring to trickle charging. It mentions the cutoff on the consumer post, but not when describing the trickle charge. Additionally, seeing as how there are a few first hand posts on this forum of people who have been able to leave themselves stranded, I’m inclined to not trust the setup without a jump pack.
There is this cryptic warning in the owner's manual: "NOTE: Do not start your Grenadier with a quick charger"
Do you think that refers to the lithium jump pack we all probably carry or just the garage style charger/starter?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
There is this cryptic warning in the owner's manual: "NOTE: Do not start your Grenadier with a quick charger"
Do you think that refers to the lithium jump pack we all probably carry or just the garage style charger/starter?
Ineos should tell us what to do instead of telling us what we shouldn't do!!!

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting… 🤔 I just spoke to a buddy who had to use a jump pack on an older jk wrangler… managed to fry his ecu. I’m hoping it wasn’t from the jump pack…

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:41 AM
Reaction score
Is there a special way to jump start this truck with a portable battery pack?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

Well a jump pack is a portable battery pack, and with the non discript advice from IA about not using “quick charger”, it seems to leave us in the same state of mind as IA themselves…confused !!

How the hell are you supposed to start the vehicle then, to my mind the only way is to charge the battery back up or to exchange battery’s. Surely this can’t be right !!

In addition what the hell is a quick charger that could be used to start a Grenny. I know what a battery charger is that could charge a battery quite quickly (over my 5v NOCO), but I wouldn’t say you would be starting a vehicle with one of them on a trail !!

Yep, I’m confused.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:41 AM
Reaction score
What's the difference between jump starting and using a battery pack? What about battery tenders? Are we not suppose to use those?

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There are such things as mains powered chargers and quick starters all-in-one. A lot of garages used to have them.
They can provide a normal charge but then something like 200A at the flick of a switch.
I suspect that is what IA are referring to.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well a jump pack is a portable battery pack, and with the non discript advice from IA about not using “quick charger”, it seems to leave us in the same state of mind as IA themselves…confused !!

I read and understood buy not using a "quick charger" it was one of the old style chargers (that some garages used to use) that put a very high charge
There are such things as mains powered chargers and quick starters all-in-one. A lot of garages used to have them.
They can provide a normal charge but then something like 200A at the flick of a switch.
I suspect that is what IA are referring to.
That was my understanding of IAs reference to "quick chargers". They used to "fry" older batteries, but I thought modern batteries have moved on, and these days it is smart chargers and smart alternators.

DrahthHunter

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Guessing disconnect the lithium ion spare jump then re connect? my guess
This vehicle is getting me more and more suspicious of the engineers.
I swear I would rather buy a south american troopy and slap a modern drive train under it.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Guessing disconnect the lithium ion spare jump then re connect? my guess
This vehicle is getting me more and more suspicious of the engineers.
I swear I would rather buy a south american troopy and slap a modern drive train under it.
You’d think you would, but you’ll wind up in a deeper hole.

FWIW, my Gren showed a 100% SOC today.

Back
Top Bottom