The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CAtuned Front Bumper

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
Get a flip up/down holder that bolts to the fairlead bolts... Many states in the US don't require a front number plate, and in many others no one cares enough to enforce it (usually it is a $30-40 fine at the most), it's fairly rare to find a full bumper set up in the US (for similar vehicles) that actually takes this into consideration
We have number plate recognition cameras all over the place here.
Road tolls
speed cameras
parking stations
I order booze online at my local Dan Murphy's bottle shop and when i go to the drive through to pick it up a camera reads my front number plate and they bring it out to my Grenadier.
Cops have cameras on their vehicles that read number plates as they are driving along. It alarms if the vehicle is stolen, unregistered, or if the owner has fines owing or is wanted by police.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
We have many as well - front plate requirements vary by jurisdiction and titling of vehicle - in VA all plates are required to have two plates, unless is it registered as an antique - they only issue a single plate.

Enforcement also varies, and I think in VA it cannot be used as a primary offense for a traffic stop. This may have changed recently (again).

Many localities have been trying to decrease the number of interactions between police and the public because so often misunderstandings escalate to murder by cop.

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
The only thing cops or bylaw enforcers or businesses can rely on is a rear plate anyways. At least around here, we have lots of vehicles driving around from states and provinces that don't require a front plate. So even if my province does require one (and it does), nobody will look twice if an approaching vehicle lacks one because it's often legit where it's registered. Also notable ... motorcycles ... thankfully exempted.

Plates are ugly and obsolete. Where we're headed is a cooperative citizenry, each of us with wireless implants so our governments and corporate masters can monitor our movements serve and protect us. THEN think of the awesome bumper designs we can have.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:35 PM
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been shared yet but it came across my search radar this morning. Don't know much about it (e.g. front parking sensors? -- probably not, given the product's "off-road" descriptor, lol). Otherwise, happy to see the

View attachment 7847464
Love the progress, but with all that effort and trouble (and I admire the effort), no bull/roo bar as part of the package? Did they forget what ARB taught, I don't know, everyone? Nice try, but looks like an underbit bulldog.

j3t3r

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Given recent events, I'm glad this is getting some focus. I never thought I would advocate carrying a d-ring, but it's certainly one way to preserve your soft shackles.
Are you referring to specific event(s) where peoples soft shackles broke using recovery points on the Grenadier? Am asking because I was literally just about to purchase a soft shackle (and forego ordering a D-Ring).

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you referring to specific event(s) where peoples soft shackles broke using recovery points on the Grenadier? Am asking because I was literally just about to purchase a soft shackle (and forego ordering a D-Ring).
No, I'm talking about something that happened with an aftermarket bumper on a Jeep.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No reason not to carry both in your recovery gear, they both serve a purpose, sometimes those purposes cross paths, other times they don't (I wouldn't want to put a screw pin bow shackle around the tube of a slider in the same fashion that I'd put a soft shackle; likewise I wouldn't want to put a soft shackle through a pulley block with 90° sharp edges, but would be happy to put a screw pin bow shackle there)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
We have many as well - front plate requirements vary by jurisdiction and titling of vehicle - in VA all plates are required to have two plates, unless is it registered as an antique - they only issue a single plate.

Enforcement also varies, and I think in VA it cannot be used as a primary offense for a traffic stop. This may have changed recently (again).

Many localities have been trying to decrease the number of interactions between police and the public because so often misunderstandings escalate to murder by cop.
We are/have moved to uniform rules and laws in all states.
This makes it easier for vehicle manufacturers to homologate vehicles and to design them.
It also makes it easier for vehicle owners to know that they are legal all over the country.
We don't have the murder by cop problem here.
As cops know that 99.9% of vehicle occupants will be unarmed they don't need to be wary or aggressive.
Most interactions with cops are friendly and joking around.
Certainly both sides are very polite.
Unless of course you are a criminal or a dickhead.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We are/have moved to uniform rules and laws in all states.
This makes it easier for vehicle manufacturers to homologate vehicles and to design them.
NHTSA FMVSS handles homologation at the national level, but states are able to pass laws in the margins that are unique enough, and often based on geographic or local needs. Window tinting in Texas, Arizona or Florida may be different than in Maine or Oregon. The same goes for license plates, and (as discussed) after market lighting.

As I mentioned, inspection & enforcement can vary by locality and state, creating a situation where many may assume something is legal, even though it clearly is not.

In Maryland for example - ongoing safety inspections are unheard of, and as someone who frequently uses Uber - I know if I my driver has tags from MD, the experience is going to be ... Interesting. It makes me glad we have safety inspections in VA.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
NHTSA FMVSS handles homologation at the national level, but states are able to pass laws in the margins that are unique enough, and often based on geographic or local needs. Window tinting in Texas, Arizona or Florida may be different than in Maine or Oregon. The same goes for license plates, and (as discussed) after market lighting.
Yes, incredible variations by State.

NJ used to have a very comprehensive inspection system. As an owner of classic vehicles I enjoyed this as it provided printed brake testing results plus the on-screen balance profile. All of that went away in 2008. Now they only plug in the OBD2 and look for codes. If you have a vehicle MY1995 or earlier inspections are waived.

Also, speed cameras are banned by NJ State law.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, incredible variations by State.

NJ used to have a very comprehensive inspection system. As an owner of classic vehicles I enjoyed this as it provided printed brake testing results plus the on-screen balance profile. All of that went away in 2008. Now they only plug in the OBD2 and look for codes. If you have a vehicle MY1995 or earlier inspections are waived.

Also, speed cameras are banned by NJ State law.

VA keeps going back and forth on speed cameras. Today they seem to be legal again, i got a tax, I mean ticket in the mail the other day.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Don't love the aesthetic of the bumper, I'm hopeful for a bit simpler one to come out. For whatever reason the design just does not jive with the rest of the Grenadier imo.

Also concerned about weight.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't love the aesthetic of the bumper, I'm hopeful for a bit simpler one to come out. For whatever reason the design just does not jive with the rest of the Grenadier imo.

Also concerned about weight.
Agreed. It appears to be the first on the market. There will be better options in the future. (y)

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The important thing here is the extra weight over what the standard bumper set up weighs. I see they ship worldwide, and so there is a further variable in this….which bumper does your vehicle have ?

Remember us under the Euro restrictions, have a bumper that juts out about another foot, further than the RoW bumpers. Having recently been stood next to the RoW bumper in South Africa, it made me realise what a complete mess the Euro one is. When you guys change your OEM bumpers can you please stick them all in a shipping container and send them the Europe, I am sure there would be an aftermarket for them. 🤦‍♂️

As a first attempt this new bumper looks ok but I am sure there will be better iterations from other companies, weight will always be the major consideration though.

PS - does this bumper allow for the OEM winch to be fitted ?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
PS - does this bumper allow for the OEM winch to be fitted ?

Fitting the OEM winch to this bumper would defeat the purpose of using this bumper - it allows you to use a larger winch, with a much larger spool capacity. The OEM winch is designed to fit between the Grenadiers frame rails and below/behind the factory bumpers.

It is assumed that compromises were made in that pursuit.

elderderek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been shared yet but it came across my search radar this morning. Don't know much about it (e.g. front parking sensors? -- probably not, given the product's "off-road" descriptor, lol). Otherwise, happy to see the Grenadier bumper aftermarket has started.

View attachment 7847464
Hey - do you know what is the mount over the rear window? I can't find it.

Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
Personal thoughts: I'm not a huge fan of the way it looks, the mesh for the side grilles is a little too reminiscent of the Owl Vans product line (I would imagine CATuned builds some of their products?).
It looks like CAtuned found themselves inspired again by Owl Vans and emulated the Hex pattern that Owl uses for inserts and roof decking.
CAtuned 100% does NOT build or supply any Owl products.

That being cleared up, it is good to see bumpers beginning to come to market for Grenadiers from multiple suppliers.

I personally like the aesthetic of the factory front bumper.

Local time
Reaction score
I personally like the aesthetic of the factory front bumper.
yea, it would be nice to see something that keeps to the lines as much as possible. This isnt bad that way, actually, but I'm gonna patiently wait.

Back
Top Bottom