The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CAtuned Front Bumper

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:46 PM
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been shared yet but it came across my search radar this morning. Don't know much about it (e.g. front parking sensors? -- probably not, given the product's "off-road" descriptor, lol). Otherwise, happy to see the Grenadier bumper aftermarket has started.

1710086374304.png

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been shared yet but it came across my search radar this morning. Don't know much about it (e.g. front parking sensors? -- probably not, given the product's "off-road" descriptor, lol). Otherwise, happy to see the Grenadier bumper aftermarket has started.

View attachment 7847464
Literally beat me to it - just heard about this bumper a few hours ago. Looks promising.

Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
I dislike the vertical brackets as tow points. In all my uwn cars they are hozontal so that it is easy to pull also sideways. Example below.

IMG_20240204_123235_1.jpg

Attachments

• Tow_point.jpg
    Tow_point.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 55

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I asked a handful of questions on their FB post about it, was told I'd get a reply the following day and about a week later I got a partial reply to one of my questions.

The one question that was answered was that the square cutouts (that almost look like ARB's integration of hi-lift points on their Summit series bumpers) are in fact where they are placing the parking sensors, apparently the adapter pieces weren't ready when they took their photos.

Other questions I had:
  • It looks like the lower bumper supports block a slightly upward attachment/pull from the factory recovery points, do they?
  • The claim of 1.5" of gained ground clearance is great, but is there an alteration of approach angle because of the protrusion of the bumper?
  • Their post stated the bumper is 100lbs, but neglected to state how much the factory bumper/supports weigh, to get an appropriate idea of added weight
Personal thoughts: I'm not a huge fan of the way it looks, the mesh for the side grilles is a little too reminiscent of the Owl Vans product line (I would imagine CATuned builds some of their products?). Aesthetics are all personal preference, so, take that thought with a grain of salt. I'm also really not a fan of the front hitch receiver, and I'm assuming this is a carryover from their van bumpers, because it seems like that is something many manufacturers do for the Sprinter/Transit vans (another reason why I skipped the CATuned bumper for my Sprinter and did a hidden winch mount w/ recovery points). If the OEM recovery points are hindered in their range of operation, that's another deal breaker for me, yes I understand they come with two new mounts, but why not have 4 available if it is possible. Related to that, I'd love to know whether their shackle mounts are chamfered for use with soft shackles as well.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I asked a handful of questions on their FB post about it, was told I'd get a reply the following day and about a week later I got a partial reply to one of my questions.

The one question that was answered was that the square cutouts (that almost look like ARB's integration of hi-lift points on their Summit series bumpers) are in fact where they are placing the parking sensors, apparently the adapter pieces weren't ready when they took their photos.

Other questions I had:
  • It looks like the lower bumper supports block a slightly upward attachment/pull from the factory recovery points, do they?
  • The claim of 1.5" of gained ground clearance is great, but is there an alteration of approach angle because of the protrusion of the bumper?
  • Their post stated the bumper is 100lbs, but neglected to state how much the factory bumper/supports weight, to get an appropriate idea of added weight
Personal thoughts: I'm not a huge fan of the way it looks, the mesh for the side grilles is a little too reminiscent of the Owl Vans product line (I would imagine CATuned builds some of their products?). Aesthetics are all personal preference, so, take that thought with a grain of salt. I'm also really not a fan of the front hitch receiver, and I'm assuming this is a carryover from their van bumpers, because it seems like that is something many manufacturers do for the Sprinter/Transit vans (another reason why I skipped the CATuned bumper for my Sprinter and did a hidden winch mount w/ recovery points). If the OEM recovery points are hindered in their range of operation, that's another deal breaker for me, yes I understand they come with two new mounts, but why not have 4 available if it is possible. Related to that, I'd love to know whether their shackle mounts are chamfered for use with soft shackles as well.
All good points, Anand. Let's share our findings here. Frankly, I like this thing.

TelRidan

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7847464
I contacted them yesterday and they said the photos on their site are from a prototype version and that the final will be front parking sensor compatible.

Local time
Reaction score

Other questions I had:
  • Their post stated the bumper is 100lbs, but neglected to state how much the factory bumper/supports weigh, to get an appropriate idea of added weight
Why not? Because they become superfluous? I've winched... a lot over 35 years... and I can't come up with a scenario where I need two recovery points 4 inches apart. Why hinder a design to maintain a function that becomes obsolete? Keep in mind the stock recovery points aren't ideal in the first place. They are there, low, in a less than ideal location because the bumper isn't designed to for the load in the first place.

Local time
Reaction score
I dislike the vertical brackets as tow points. In all my uwn cars they are hozontal so that it is easy to pull also sideways. Example below.

IMG_20240204_123235_1.jpg
I dunnknow about that reasoning. When you're stuck face in the muck and the pull is upwards, you're still off angle. You trade one non issue for another. If your recovery point fatigues under an angled load, you need a better recovery point. I think my clean sheet design preference would be a backer plate and swivel shackle, if the recovery point wasn't actual "full tang" to the frame. I think the horizontal hole is just much more aesthetic and natural when a shackle is in it. It'll hang as gravity intended. Are you certain that's not an antenna tab?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Related to that, I'd love to know whether their shackle mounts are chamfered for use with soft shackles as well.
Given recent events, I'm glad this is getting some focus. I never thought I would advocate carrying a d-ring, but it's certainly one way to preserve your soft shackles.

Aesthetically, I'm also not in love with this bumper, specifically these cutouts around the winch

1710170902691.png

Also curious whether there is a provision for ducting to the radiators behind these grills
1710171015718.png

It would be nice to have some pictures of it that give a better view of how it integrates with the factory shield and recovery points.

Local time
Reaction score
Given recent events, I'm glad this is getting some focus. I never thought I would advocate carrying a d-ring, but it's certainly one way to preserve your soft shackles.

Aesthetically, I'm also not in love with this bumper, specifically these cutouts around the winch

View attachment 7847649
Yea. I'd be blocking those muck catchers off. I'd prefer solid a removable top plate to keep the dirt and sun off of the line as much as possible.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Yea. I'd be blocking those muck catchers off. I'd prefer solid a removable top plate to keep the dirt and sun off of the line as much as possible.
I believe there is cooling apparatus behind the bumper at those locations. That's why the stock bumper has similar vents.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
I believe ther are cooling apparatus behind the bumper at those locations. That's why the stock bumper has similar vents.
Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't too clear. I was referring to the odd slats by the winch. I suppose they break it up so its not slabby looking but, I think it's overdone. Back when i went from an 8274 to a planetary gear winch, one of my unexpected loves was, a clean winch and a line that wasn't frozen, because the winch was encapsulated.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't too clear. I was referring to the odd slats by the winch. I suppose they break it up so its not slabby looking but, I think it's overdone. Back when i went from an 8274 to a planetary gear winch, one of my unexpected loves was, a clean winch and a line that wasn't frozen, because the winch was encapsulated.
I have those on my CA Tuned bumper for my van. I think they are air vents. Since the winch blocks some of the air from entering the engine compartment by design to reach the radiator, the 'slots' should help with air circulation. I think that's important in hot weather.

Local time
Reaction score
I have those on my CA Tuned bumper for my van. I think they are air vents. Since the winch blocks some of the air from entering the engine compartment by design to reach the radiator, the 'slots' should help with air circulation. I think that's important in hot weather.
I guess possibly, but that's the location of the license plate holder on a stock bumper and there isn't any airflow there to begin with, and the slots are in front of the winch, which wouldn't appear to rectify much. In my opinion, they aren't functional.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7847464
Where would you mount the number plate?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Where would you mount the number plate?
Get a flip up/down holder that bolts to the fairlead bolts... Many states in the US don't require a front number plate, and in many others no one cares enough to enforce it (usually it is a $30-40 fine at the most), it's fairly rare to find a full bumper set up in the US (for similar vehicles) that actually takes this into consideration

Back
Top Bottom